Start by marking “Hands-On Healing Remedies: 150 Recipes for Herbal Balms, Salves, Oils, Liniments Other Topical Therapies” as Want to Read:
Hands-On Healing Remedies: 150 Recipes for Herbal Balms, Salves, Oils, Liniments  Other Topical Therapies

Keep your family healthy and chemical free by making your own natural remedies. Stephanie Tourles offers 150 original recipes for herbal balms, oils, salves, liniments, and other topical ointments to treat a wide range of conditions. This comprehensive guide is filled with safe and effective cures for scores of common ailments, including headaches, backaches, arthritis, ...more
Published December 4th 2012 by Storey Publishing, LLC

Start your review of Hands-On Healing Remedies: 150 Recipes for Herbal Balms, Salves, Oils, Liniments Other Topical Therapies
Jim
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I was a kid, my maternal grandmother lived with us. Born in the 1870s, she sometimes made up some potions or salves for me and my sisters when we had ailments. She got some of the ingredients from a local pharmacy that stocked shelves full of liquids and powders, and she picked some flowers and herbs from a nearby field. Those days are long gone now, and most medicines are ready-made over-the-counter or prescription drugs.

Holistic healer Stephanie Tourles has brought back those memories
Vicky
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
The beginning of the book reminded me so much of when I was a kid walking the mountains with my dad and he'd be picking plants and telling me what they were good for. Or he'd be talking about my grandmother and what she used to do for them on the farm when they were younger. Stephanie evoked some good memories with her introduction to this book.

Healing with plants has been around for thousands of years. The use of natural ingredients over chemical ones is cheaper and, in many cases, better for
Jo Barton
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This nicely illustrated book with 150 recipes for old fashioned remedies is a pleasure to read and is one of those books that will sit happily on your book shelf until you need to look for inspiration for a healing remedy. Most of the ingredients used are commonly found and nothing requires the reader to have a degree in biochemistry to understand. I loved the idea of Sweet Annie Serenity Oil - how I need some of that in the run up to Christmas, and I can almost smell the aroma of Simple ...more
Kathy
Hands On Healing Remedies - Stephanie L. Tourles

If you are the type of person who is into making your own herbal medicines then this is the book for you. The author introduces her book with her background as an herbalist and how she was introduced to it via her grandfather and the many stories he had told of his own mother who have made her own herbal medicines since they have lived quite a distance from the nearest doctor.

The book is easy to read for it is divided into sections where the
Trisha
Sep 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Rose
I found Hands-On Healing Remedies: 150 Recipes ... to be full of such valuable information as well as the recipes for many different maladies that I purchased a copy for my personal library and returned the borrowed book. Although the illustrations are not vibrant like some other herbal recipe books, perhaps this allowed the cost to be less than other author's work. Do not pass this one buy if you like creating your own salves and liniments.
S.rae
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finish-later
great book for beginners! I love that the majority of recipes are easy, gentle, and incorporate herbs as well as essential oils.
Stef
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-reread
I intend to reread this once I have more of the recommended supplies. Some interesting ideas in here that I'd like to try, and I enjoy this author as well as the idea of being able to improve my wellbeing in preventative ways such as the ones she presented.
AnandaTashie
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, non-fic
Ignoring the random advice snips (some of which I agreed with, some not), the actual 150 herbal recipes are wonderful! They include ones like joint-ease balm, winter defense body oil, aloe disinfecting wound wash, and three flowers anti-itch spray.
Cheryl
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book, good reference if you looking for holistic medicine recipes.
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Helpful but the ingredients in the recipes are too specific for what I normally buy that I am not where I can invest in trying these recipes right now.
BookBec
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it
A lot of appealing and interesting recipes based on essential oils (often in very strong concentrations) ... and then I remembered that many essential oils give me a headache.
LeAndra
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
An interesting reference text.
Mindy
Review Assignment. Will only appeal to those who wish to avoid over-the-counter medications and are willing to go to the effort to make their own herbal alternatives.
Elizabeth
Really enjoyed this book with loads of information and clear, concise recipes for remedies for your whole family. I am adding this book to my home collection.
Shannon Dillman
Sara
Jan 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Pure Soapmaking: How to Create Nourishing, Natural Skin Care Soaps
  • The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts
  • Soap Crafting: Step-by-Step Techniques for Making 31 Unique Cold-Process Soaps
  • Essential Oils for Beginners: The Guide to Get Started with Essential Oils and Aromatherapy
  • Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner
  • Circle Series 4-in-1 (The Circle Series)
  • The Rabbit Girls
  • The Green Witch: Your Complete Guide to the Natural Magic of Herbs, Flowers, Essential Oils, and More
  • The Magic Factory (Oliver Blue and the School for Seers, #1)
  • Food for Life: Delicious & Healthy Comfort Food from My Table to Yours!
  • Prognosis: A Memoir of My Brain
  • Soup Night: Recipes for Creating Community Around a Pot of Soup
  • Rosemary Gladstar's Medicinal Herbs: A Beginner's Guide
  • Moominvalley in November (The Moomins, #9)
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • A Man Without a Country
  • Extra Helping:  Recipes for Caring, Connecting & Building Community One Dish at a Time
  • The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook for Your Instant Pot: 80 Easy and Delicious Plant-Based Recipes That You Can Make in Half the Time
“raising the skin’s temperature, increasing circulation, and encouraging blood and lymph flow to the affected area. The hardening clay draws toxins from beneath the skin, aiding in the release and removal of plant and insect poisons, minor to moderate infection, small splinters and bee stingers, ingrown hairs, and hardened sebum. After the clay pack is washed off and circulation returns to normal,” 0 likes