Start by marking “The Secret at Pheasant Cottage” as Want to Read:
The Secret at Pheasant Cottage

The Secret at Pheasant Cottage

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  294 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Lucy has lived with her grandparents at Pheasant Cottage since she was a little girl, but she has dim memories of someone else. Who was it? What are her grandparents hiding from her? Lucy is determined to find the answers, but it turns out to be harder than she expected.

From Patricia St. John—nurse, missionary, relief worker, and writer of many books for children.
Published February 1st 2002 by Moody Publishers (first published June 28th 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret at Pheasant Cottage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret at Pheasant Cottage

Jerry
Mar 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Ever since Judy Blume's books became best-sellers, the juvenile fiction market has been flooded with literature about serious issues that young children often face, such as death in the family, parental abandonment, divorce, etc. Patricia St. John's The Secret at Pheasant Cottage is among the thousands of such novels. It's pretty much standard kiddie chapter book fare; the writing is decent, and the story okay, but, despite this being Christian fiction, I honestly feel that there are much better ...more
Hosanna
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Wow. This book surpassed my expectations. Parts of the story line were predictable, but the message was amazing - one that still lives on today. Lucy is a creative, dreamy girl who has a secret past. She wants an answer to the secrets...but when she finds them, is she brave enough to live with their truth? She is thrown into strange circumstances with life-changing decisions to make. Yet in all the turmoil that follows, she learns the importance of forgiveness and meets the Friend that she has b ...more
Erin Pierce
Though slightly different than some of her other books,this is yet another wonderful read from Patricia t. John.
Charon Lloyd-Roberts
So as a kid I vaguely remember having this book read to me, and I recently bought it again to see if I still liked it and no not really maybe because this just wasn't for me in the end and I found Lucy to be quite annoying and hey idiot you don't like things being kept from and you go looking for them anyway, way to go and do stupid things as well. Also it never slipped my mind that this book was associated with Christianity (I am an Athiest and I have had that region shoved down my throat as lo ...more
Elaine
Jun 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth
A quick read... (Also called The Mystery of Pheasant Cottage)

Lucy lives with her grandparents - her mother's father and mother. Her mother died when she was born and her father isn't part of her life. She overhears a conversation that leads her to discoveries, especially with the help of her new friend Ron.

Lucy, through the help of an old woman who doesn't speak English, learns what a relationship with Jesus is. Lucy, in turn, shares that with someone else.

The writing is good and is never prea
Michaela Miller
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes classical works of fiction.
This book has become my new favorite going above and beyond even Little Women. It's a classical read that portrays Jesus as being a close friend in such a beautiful, yet gently powerful, way.
I won't spoil any of it, but I will say this; if you think you can predict the end of the story at any time throughout the book, just keep reading because you may be right in some regards, but in others it brought quite a different turn than what I expected, so just keep reading! You won't be disappointed.
Mikayla
I was really disappointed with this. Normally I just love every one of St. John's books but this one I just didn't like very much. I really felt like the ending was unnecessarily sad, I wish the author had done it some other way because I came away feeling very sad.
Overall, not one of her best in my opinion.
Misti Konsavage
May 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well, this book had a great moral and is a solid Christian story. I read it out loud to my 9 kids. They seemed to enjoy it. I don't really like sad movies or sad books, so it wouldn't be my choice of a highly recommended book...but if you don't mind sad...you will like it. =) If it wasn't for the sad factor, I'd give it 4 stars. =)
Lynnae Spafford
Sep 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
It is about a girl who lives withe her grandparents...She knows nothing of what has happened to her parents. Till one day all is found out when a writter comes to town.She loves this man as a friend until later she needs to accept him as her Father.
Cristina
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did like the fact that it had not a happy ending with the father getting all better and all living hapily ever after. Everyone must learn and accept ( including myself) that God has a diferent view and does not answer our prayers as we would always want.
Cnjbillhimer
Jul 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great book, wonderful author!
Carol
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book when I was a kid, so I had to read it again. It was a nice break from reality. Mostly because it is uplifting and an easy read. Nice story.
Jocie
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engaging children's book that points us to Christ for peace.
Natasha
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant, brilliant read. My favourite as a kid. The writing is tiny though in the edition I've got.
Konstantin
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Just finished. Excellent.
Ashley Bowen
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book, but i guessed the ending from the beginning. :l :)
Tanderton
It was ok read some more exciting books by Patricia St.John like Treasures of the Snow sad at the end, could have been better.
Olivia
Mar 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Okay. Typical St. John.
Hannah
This was such a good book, I loved it to pieces! Anyone will like it, especially kids!
Sheila Smith
GREAT BOOK ABOUT FORGIVENESS .
Joanna
Mar 03, 2013
Jeanette
Jan 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Millie's Remarkable Journey (A Life of Faith: Millie Keith #3)
  • The Journeyman
  • Treasures from Grandma (Grandma's Attic, #4)
  • A Journey of Faith (Prairie River, #1)
  • Raider's Promise (Viking Quest, #5)
  • Rebel's Keep (Crown and Covenant, #3)
  • Wisdom and the Millers: Proverbs for Children
  • Listen for the Whippoorwill
  • The Two Collars (Bracken Trilogy, #3)
  • All My Tomorrows (The Orphan Trains Trilogy, #2)
  • If Jesus Came to My House
  • St. Bartholomew's Eve: A Tale of the Huguenot Wars
  • The Double Dabble Surprise (Cul-de-sac Kids, #1)
  • A Max Lucado Children's Treasury: A Child's First Collection
Patricia Mary St. John spent 27 years as a dedicated missionary to North Africa - and was also a prolific children's writer. Her books are loved and treasured around the world; some have been turned into stirring films. Gripping adventures which cover real life issues are her hallmark.
More about Patricia St. John...