Start by marking “The Christmas Train: A True Story” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Train: A True Story

The Christmas Train: A True Story

In this children's picture book, President Thomas S. Monson recounts a Christmas memory from his childhood. As a boy, he yearned for an electric train. To his delight, on Christmas morning he got exactly that—a train that operated through the miracle of electricity. Then he noticed a second train that his mother had purchased for the boy down the street whose family was st ...more
Published October 15th 2012 by Shadow Mountain (first published October 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Train, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Train

Saralyn
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My three year old was enthralled and wanted to hear the story over and over.
Gato Negro
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I happened upon this book completely by accident while looking for the Baldacci book of the same title. What a gorgeously illustrated book summing up the true meaning of Christmas and the love thy neighbor commandment. Excellent for kids!
Kathryn Cunningham
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Little Tommy finally gets a brand new electric train set this Christmas. He watches with deep satisfaction as it goes round and round its track independently, not like his old wind up engine. The only thing his perfect new set is missing is an oil tanker, and the wind up train set his mother is wrapping up for their less fortunate neighbor boy has one. Tommy must decide this Christmas whether it is better to give or to receive, and see if he can find that deep joy and Christmas spirit he's been ...more
Shauna
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is such a sweet, true story!
When President Monson was a little boy he was given an electric train set for Christmas...
Along with that train his mother purchased a wind-up train set for a neighbor boy...
When the young Tommy saw the one car in the wind-up set that he really wanted his mother allows him to keep it...
Not to give the ending away...let's just say...
President Monson learned a very valuable lesson on "service" and "reaching out to the one" during that Christmas season.

An added bonu
Debby Baumgartner
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Based on a true story, Thomas wants an electric train for Christmas. He is thrilled when he receives it. His mother has also purchased a wind up train for the neighbor boy. This train has a car that Thomas's train set does not have and he begs his mother until she gives it to him. Will Thomas ever understand the true spirit of giving - read to find out.
Andrea
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully told and illustrated Christmas experience from President Thomas S. Monson's childhood. The story on CD is especially wonderful to listen as President Monson tells the story in his own voice--very beautiful true Christmas story illustrating the fact that "it truly is better to give than to receive!"
Heidi-Marie
I remember Pres. Monson telling this story, and I felt a bit weepy then. So it didn't surprise me when tears came to my eyes as I read the picture book version of the story. Beautifully illustrated. And the words are most certainly Pres. Monson--as only he can tell a beautiful, sweet, yet profound story.
Leslie
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great story where little Tommy learns about giving and not receiving. I loved hearing my little boy share this book with his 2nd grade class and to hear the other kids get the message of the story.
Alisa
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Not only is the story of a little boy learning to give is more than receive, the highlight of this book (since I have heard the story) is the gorgeous illustrations. What a marvelous story and pictures!
Becky
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have to set aside my atheistic aversion for anything with a blatantly Christian message and admit that this is a heart-melting story. The painted illustrations are beautiful an detailed, right down to pastel-colored Fiesta dishes in the kitchen cabinets and mistletoe in the doorways.
Jenny
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
President Thomas Monson is a wonderful storyteller. This holds true in this true story of an important lesson he learned as a little boy. Beautifully illustrated, this story reminds readers that it is better to give than to receive.
Jonathan Plowman
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great Christmas story by Pres. Monson
Teri
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
Great story that was especially endearing to my girls because the author is Thomas S. Monson.
Andrea
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A new family favorite!
Jennie
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a true keeper both for the touching sweet story and the fantastic art illustrations.
Tenille
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Loved this story years ago when I first heard it, love it even more reading it with my kids. Great message!
Natalie
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very sweet, touching story with fabulous illustrations as well.
Molly
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Somebody must have given this to me for Christmas in 2013. Can't really remember. D'oh!
Don Gubler
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Okay.
Taylor
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sweet story that embodies the Christmas Spirit.
Alysia
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the story. my boys enjoyed the trains. ultimately it is a story about a boy learning the joy of giving and the value of not being selfish.
Felicia
We bought the iPad app and I want to buy the physical book. This is a really cute book and I think it's a wonderful Christmas story.
Mblackham
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've always loved this story. I'm glad they've made it into a nice picture book.
DeLys
Dec 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
A nice story about learning how to give rather than receive.
Brenda
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love anything written by this great man. I loved hearing his voice in my head speaking the story as I read along:)
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This will be a tradition in our house! I could hear his voice as I read, wonderful story, beautiful pictures. We will be buying the book!
Melissa
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read this last week. One of the best things about President Monson is his ability to tell stories. A great story and a beautifully illustrated book. Thanks Grandma Debbie!
Sally Clark
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas-books
Easily understandable for children, beautifully illustrated. Would like to buy.
Melody Harmon
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My son can not get enough of this book, and it has the greatest message!
Amberly
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
A sweet, true story that teaches the importance of giving. A quick read. The story is very focused. Good for children of all ages.

• Christmas from Heaven: The True Story of the Berlin Candy Bomber
  • Christmas in the Trenches
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • Jacob's Gift
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
Thomas S. Monson served as the 16th President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (often called the "Mormon Church" or "LDS Church") from 2008 to his death in 2018. Before his time as President, he had served as a Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church since 1985. He was ordained an Apostle and called to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in 1963 at the unusually young age o ...more