Start by marking “Men, Women & Worthiness: The Experience of Shame and the Power of Being Enough” as Want to Read:
Men, Women & Worthiness: The Experience of Shame and the Power of Being Enough

Men, Women & Worthiness: The Experience of Shame and the Power of Being Enough

What does it mean to engage with the world from a place of worthiness? How do we make the long walk from "What will people think" to "I am enough!" Dr. Brene Brown has spent more than 10 years researching these questions, and her discoveries always lead back to one critical finding: Shame resilience. "If we want to cultivate more courage, joy, and love in our lives, we hav ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 15th 2012 by Sounds True

To ask other readers questions about Men, Women & Worthiness, please sign up.

Carey Smith
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The audible book is highly recommended. Powerful motivating genuine. The story of how she started researching men gave me goosebumps. I am in recovery and we tend to think normies don't deal with the same issues I am wrong. Everyone has shame it might be different from one person to the next. I always called my shame the guilty mommy voice the moment you become a mother it starts to nag and harp that your never good enough. It is one of my shame gremlins. I also realized that the shame gremlin I ...more
Julia
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This audio book has been integral in my ability to wean off anti-depressants and really allow myself to experience shame and all the uncomfortable emotions that come along with it. I'm not saying that everyone on antidepressants takes them to mask uncomfortable emotions, but I was. Never feeling like I was good enough at being a wife, a mom, a worker, a house cleaner, etc. is just a symptom of shame of womanhood. I am teaching myself to recognize my shame triggers and realize that I am enough. J ...more
Lenny Husen
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books
Great follow-up to The Gifts of Imperfection and perfect to listen to in the car. The whole thing is about 2 and a half hours. The main topic was Shame, Gender differences (which I found the most interesting) and Shame Resilience.
The discussion about Men and Shame was new to me and fascinating. I felt deep empathy for what men have to go through and what expectations are placed on men by other men and women.
This is excellent and worth listening to multiple times. Also, unlike my version of "G
David
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best things I've read. Deeply impacted by this book. I learned so much about the experience of shame and am so grateful for her take on male shame.
Karith Amel
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short, but excellent. Brene Brown is an energetic speaker - clearly passionate about her subject - so this "reads" better than her other audiobooks, narrated by random readers. Her discussion of gender expectations, and their role in the way shame impacts us as humans, was both effective and non-essentializing, which I very much appreciated. I struggle, fairly intensely, when psychologists (or anyone) talk about the experiences of men and women as though that were simply the way it is - the inna ...more
Eryc
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Potent, thought-provoking, well-researched, and well-conceived. What Brown is able to tackle in a short time could fill volumes. It's a dense piece, but highly accessible, thanks to Brown's ease and deep knowledge. It's easy to write 400 pages on this topic, but it's a real feat to cram it into a few hours of audio. This is not just a self-help, feel-good book, but a powerful treatise on how to take better care of ourselves and those we love. Highly recommended!
Tinkalanashai
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ms Brown is a good story teller and very much a straight talker. This book exposes shame that hides inside all of us just waiting to rear its ugly head when circumstances deem fit and as She explains we must talk about it in order to be free of it. The more we hide it, deny it, the bigger the monster grows. Still wrapping my head around this one. I used to be ashamed of being alive. That was like a life time ago and there was never a reason. I was independent, I asked a lot of questions and didn ...more
Shannan
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
This is more of a "speech" rather than audiobook, but dang does she pack a punch in such little time! Brene is so unbelievably at ease with her talks, and she interweaves personal anecdotes, research data, and psychology theory together into one package. Her expertise is shame research and I gravitated to her thoughts on shame vs. guilt. Highly highly recommend if you need a good solid look on your own shame and guilt complex and are looking to move forward in shame resiliency.
Stephen
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've found that there's a lot of content that overlaps in Brené's books/talks/programs, but there seem to always be gems that stick out with each one that I experience. What resonated with me during this talk was about how to empathize with somebody. There are many other things that she delves into more in depth here than in her other works, so it's a good follow-up to those.
Anna
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Gave me much to think about. It's more of a lecture/talk than a book, and it's Brown who delivers it. I kind of want to listen again to pick up on the things I might have missed while I ruminated over other things.

I'd recommend this to anyone who is interested in feminist thought that challenges our restrictive definitions of manhood and how those definitions hurt both men and women.
Ken Macintosh
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
After being turned on to her original TED Talk, I've read the latter two of Brene' Brown's books and am now working my way through her former works. I've read about shame avoidance being one of the strongest motivators in school, business, time management, etc. but never gave much thought to how shame (and worthiness) might be influencing my actions, relationships, well being, etc. which is what this book delves into. This book covers a lot of the same content as the Ted Talk, but in greater det ...more
C.interruptus
Useful insights on how concepts of shame play out differently for masculinity vs. femininity. Better organized than Brown's TED talk on vulnerability. I would have liked for her to pay more attention to different kinds of masculinities and femininities (gay and lesbian, eg, and cultural differences), but this is a good start. Maybe she talks about them in her longer books. I liked this enough that I'll check them out and find out.
Meg
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, audio
Oh Brene, how I love thee.
I'm not a huge fan of "self help" books typically, but Brene Brown's no-nonsense, researched-based work is something I both respect and get a lot out of. This audio covers a lot of the same ground as 'The Power of Vulnerability,' but if you can't get enough of what this woman has to say, it serves as a great follow-up.
Katelyn
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
I LOVED this audiobook. Highly recommended for everyone. I am learning a lot about who I want to be and how I want to treat others from Brene's research and her personal examples of how this looks in her life. This is a life changing book for me.

Here are my notes: Some of them are quotes from Brene or close to quotes, as I use the voice to text feature on my phone sometimes to capture ideas.

Perfection doesn't exist and the pursuit of it is exhausting and moves us away from being ourselves.

In our
Monica Moyes
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anything by Brene is a gem, in my opinion. Content is very similar to her other books and audiobook lessons but I tend to need the repetition. I always get something new out of it and it always inspires me. Definitely worth listening to.
Kathy
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This woman gets it. Shame and guilt are two different things. Shame is about the person; guilt is about behavior. The key to silencing shame is to speak it, acknowledge it. I have a long way to go but this talk is eye opening if you want to live free.
Tahlia
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Here's the beauty of Brene Brown for me. Every time I listen to it or read it I'm moved to be better and more authentic and kind. I liked this talk because she narrated it. It's pretty much the same material as I Thought it was just me, but a good review.
Charissa
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoy listening to this author. She is very grounded and I love her "story" based research. Some of what she talks about in this book can also be found in her more comprehensive book, "The Power of Vulnerability", which I believe to be much more informative.
Ellen
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Extraordinary. Insightful. Helpful. I recommend it to anyone who wants to confront shame in their life.
Matthew Bushnell
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a very quick listen (2 hrs), but once again, Brene Brown impacts greatly on the truth of "being enough". I highly recommend this teaching for anyone at all. Very insightful.
Mary Geralyn
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. An eye-opener for men and women.
Stephanie Oliva
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very insightful book. I think all perfectionists need to read this book. Instant improvement in my marriage!
Krista Knigge
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Brene's work. Very real and honest discussion on how men and women confront shame.
Nathaniel
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I've been writing really long review for Brene Brown books, and I'm going to try and keep this one short.

There's a lot I like, including her basic shame/guilt distinction.

There's a lot I don't like, including her naive (in my view) response to the complexities of gender roles and the entitlement-based view of human value.

Here's the definition of whole-heartedness, kind of her most important / crowning concept:

And I think whole-heartedness, which is ultimately what I'm after in this life and what
Leanne
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Of course it is excellent. It is Brene Freaking Brown.
Marella Mylet
really good stuff I learned a lot about why I do what I do
Amber Koppenhofer
Aug 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: counseling, self-help
I wonder if I would have enjoyed this more if I had listened to it before listening to Brown's "The Power of Vulnerability" seminar, but unfortunately I found this to be a truncated version of the aforementioned recording. She covers all the basics of "The Power of Vulnerability" in this one, and repeats many of the same stories, but it lacks some of the humor and wit she has when speaking to a live audience. This much shorter workshop would be good for people wishing to review what was already ...more
Tim
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
great quote: men react to shame either by getting pissed or shutting down. So true.

I think there were a few spots where she over-generalized about "male" culture. She painted an interesting picture of rabid men clinging to the baseball backstop screaming to their little-leaguers to hit the ball and saying "cry on the bat, see if that helps". She interviewed dozens of men to do her work and I'm sure individuals had stories of feeling bad about sports, but (I hope) even in Texas, where the author
Marina
Sep 10, 2016 rated it liked it
(3.5 stars, really. 5 for insightfulness, less for going off topic)
I thought this was great, like pretty much anything Brene Brown does. One caveat, though - I think she goes completely off topic in the second of the two sessions. In her work she usually talks about women and I was really interested in hearing more about her research on men and shame and worthiness, and while she says a number of insightful things about it in the first session, she pretty much seems to forget all about the whol
  • The Essential Self-Help Guide Stress and Anxiety Relief: How to Overcome Anxiety, Stress and Worry for Stress-Free Living Forever
  • Shadow Dance: Liberating the Power & Creativity of Your Dark Side
  • The Self-Esteem Companion: Simple Exercises to Help You Challenge Your Inner Critic and Celebrate Your Personal Strengths
  • Brene Brown: Brene Brown, 70 Greatest Life Lessons
  • Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life: How Dialectical Behavior Therapy Can Put You in Control
  • To Live Until We Say Good Bye
  • Sunburning
  • Handbook on Counseling Youth
  • Depressed and Anxious: The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook for Overcoming Depression and Anxiety
  • The Heart of Addiction: A New Approach to Understanding and Managing Alcoholism and Other Addictive Behaviors
  • Stick Up for Yourself!: Every Kid's Guide to Personal Power and Positive Self-Esteem
  • Yoga for Pain Relief: Simple Practices to Calm Your Mind and Heal Your Chronic Pain
  • Graduate Study for the Twenty-First Century: How to Build an Academic Career in the Humanities
  • Father-Daughter Incest: With a New Afterword
  • Rest, Play, Grow: Making Sense of Preschoolers (Or Anyone Who Acts Like One
  • Beyond Blue: Surviving  Depression & Anxiety and Making the Most of Bad Genes
  • The Self-Esteem Workbook
  • Changes That Heal: Workbook
Dr. Brené Brown is a research professor at the University of Houston where she holds the Huffington Foundation – Brené Brown Endowed Chair at The Graduate College of Social Work.

She has spent the past two decades studying courage, vulnerability, shame, and empathy and is the author of five #1 New York Times bestsellers: The Gifts of Imperfection, Daring Greatly, Rising Strong, Braving the Wildern
“Empathy heals shame; sympathy exacerbates shame. We don't want people to feel sorry for us; we want people to be with us.” 0 likes
“To know shame is to be human. And to have the capacity for empathy is also to be human.” 0 likes