Start by marking “Kiss My Aster: A Graphic Guide to Creating a Fantastic Yard Totally Tailored to You” as Want to Read:

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  127 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Who cares what the neighbors think? Kiss My Aster is a hilarious, irreverent, interactive guide to designing an outdoor space that captures your unique personality. Amanda Thomsen fills this quirky book with innovative ideas, encouraging you to forget the accepted “rules” and make your own landscaping choices. Whether you want privacy hedges, elegant flower beds, a patio f ...more
Published December 18th 2012 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Kiss My Aster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiss My Aster

Booksingarden
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
The most inexpensive, clear, how-to advice for creating a fantastic yard. Amanda cover all types of people wanting a beautiful garden from those who want to do it all themselves to those who want to convey clearly to the people that they will hire (advice on that too) what they do and do not want. Highly recommended.
Laurie
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This guide to basic gardening has two things that set it aside from most gardening books: it’s put together like a webpage, full of graphics and references to other pages, and it’s funny. Author Thomsen has a blog of the same name as the book on the Fine Gardening website, so I was happy to find she had a book out.

This is a book for the beginning gardener, especially for one with a new yard to deal with. Thomsen walks you through the process: the idea stage, mapping the existing space, deciding
Sara
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
For a beginning yard design book, this pretty much tops it. I quite enjoyed reading it even though there wasn't a lot of new information. Great color, funny writing... like a comic book was pollinated by a snarky garden-themed choose-your-own-adventure.
Christina
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
The horticulture humor in this book is off the charts!!
False
Jun 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gardening
What a horrible book. Cartoon drawings and flippant comments on how to construct a yard that are basically useless. Rain barrel? Mosquitoes. I can't even remember why I ordered this.
Nancy P
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Entertaining and informative at the same time - a fun, useful gardening manual
Jenny
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, gardening
A cute book with some sass and sparkle, Kiss My Aster would be perfect for a housewarming gift, paired with some gloves and a garden spade. It's fun to read, and practical on topics such as planting trees and figuring out how much work a project will likely take. Dedicated gardeners will find themselves wanting something more region-specific and more detailed on certain plants, but this is a nice start. After a while, the font started to make me a little nuts, but I read the book straight throug ...more
Clare
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
An interesting take on gardening books, which does not (thankfully) assume that there is a "right" or typical or best way you "must" do anything in your garden. The advice it gives is good and starts before many other garden books even begin... with actually how to think about your garden and what it means to plan for it. It also discusses how to understand and plan for what the consequences of your choices will be. This is something many books leave out. If you are a novice gardener or have jus ...more
Sharon
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun and informative book about taking care of your yard and gardening. Don't let the cutesy cover fool you, the author is a Master Garden and landscape designer. In other words, she knows what she is talking about. I disagree with her on a few things, like what to do with shade garden and her view about spirea bushes, but for the most part she and I are in totally agreement. I loved her format and sense of humor, although I didn't skip around like a true Choose-Your-Own Adventure book should b ...more
Kristin
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
Great book for the beginning gardener, or just someone looking to put a little landscaping around their house. As someone working in a retail garden center, I really appreciated the nods to the retail employees, and the little things that make our lives easier when we're helping people. I also really enjoyed the illustrations. Nice, humorous take on starting out gardening, and some places where hiring a professional is the right course of action.
Stacie
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I do enjoy a garden book from a smartass perspective. Where else can I find such great information such as: how many gnomes is too many? what plants are soooo over done? and how to spot a phony garden planner (hint, the white pants). This did also have a great deal off very relevant tips and hints on how to plan, build, and enjoy your yard. It was all just wrapped up in a snarky, colorful package...which I loved.
Carley
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Good absolute beginner book to considering lawn and landscape care. The illustrations though are kind of useless. This book is a good way to begin considering different questions with what to do with your lawn if you're new to lawn care. It will not give you a lot of info though. It's more suggestions and places to expand your knowledge. I got a lot out of this book and thought it was a good place to start. Check it out of the library, not one to own.
Lara
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
I liked the choose-your-adventure style the author took with presenting information on gardening and landscaping. Depending on where you are in your design process, you can jump to a particular section to meet those needs and possibly take the recommendation of where to go next. It was a fun read and I enjoyed the author's illustrations.
elizabeth
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loving the nonfiction graphic novels lately. Who knew landscaping could make such a hilarous topic? Comes complete with a bingo game, a 'choose your own adventure' style layout, and serious tee-hees on every page (so far).
lisa
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-ideas
This was a great beginning guide for my husband and I as we started to make plans for our yard. There was a lot of information in here that I wouldn't have thought of, wouldn't have remembered to do, or wouldn't have thought were that important.
Lauren Fulner
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
While this graphic guide does not have in depth info on any particular aspect of the yard and garden process, it is a great and goofy overview of many things (with some plant recommendations to boot) that I am glad I checked out.
Kathleen
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved how this book is put together. And only found one thing I questioned. She talks about hyacinth beans being edible. I was always taught that you should never eat them. Otherwise, I really enjoyed the book.
gina
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
I finally gave up on this book. I couldn't focus on it. It was just...too much cartooning and too much going on. Not my style. But there was good info there if you're able to focus on it. Just not a fan of these cartoon style layout nonfic books.
Robyn Msweet
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Funny and easy to read. Good info for the novice gardener
Katey Thompson
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening-reads
CHoose Your Own Adventure meets gardening. Great tips, funny read.
Amy
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
The perfect introduction to gardening for your hipster friend. The information here is pretty basic, but presented with wit, charm, and a choose-your-own adventure format. Loads of fun.
Allie
This is definitely a book I plan on buying once I have space for an actual garden.
Mary Lynn
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
Good book for absolute beginners.
Susannah
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I would say this is the best gardening book I've ever read, but since it's the first I've ever read (and not skimmed) I can't say that. But isn't that endorsement enough?
Becca
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Best book ever!
Kim
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great intro to gardening. This book is a fun and spunky quick read that covers all the basics with out putting you to sleep.
Amy Elizabeth
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Funny and helpful to a real novice. I like the "choose your adventure" feel.
Kay
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Quirky and practical.
Allison
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute drawings! But a little light on info.
Kate Ritchie