Start by marking “The Spinner's Book of Yarn Designs: Techniques for Creating 80 Yarns” as Want to Read:
The Spinner's Book of Yarn Designs: Techniques for Creating 80 Yarns

The Spinner's Book of Yarn Designs: Techniques for Creating 80 Yarns

Discover the satisfying fun of spinning your own yarn! This step-by-step guide shows you how to create 80 distinctive yarn types, from classics like mohair bouclé to novelties like supercoils. Covering the entire spinning process, Sarah Anderson describes the unique architecture of each type of yarn and shares expert techniques for manipulating and combining fibers. Take y ...more
Published January 29th 2013 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published November 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Spinner's Book of Yarn Designs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spinner's Book of Yarn Designs

Julie Barrett
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Spinner's Book of Yarn Designs Techniques for Creating 80 Yarns by Sarah Anderson
ISBN: 9781603427388 B008NEZROE
I am not a spinner but realize the quality of this book for the yarns I have worked with over the years. So many tips throughout that now answer a lot of my questions about why did the yarn twist when working cables and is the direction important.
There are chapters on: spinning basics, singles for plying, stand alone singles, spiral yarns, opposing plies,
boucles, cable yarns, crepe
Lark of The Bookwyrm's Hoard
Excellent resource on how to spin and ply a variety of different yarns. I borrowed it from the library, and have already ordered my own copy.
Shala Kerrigan
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafts, diy, make-it
The Spinner's Book of Yarn Designs- Techniques for Creating 80 Yarns by Sarah Anderson took longer than expected to review because it's so good. If you spin yarn, or if you're a knitter or crocheter who is considering learning, you'll want this book.

You won't learn how to spin with this book, what you'll learn is ways to make amazing and unique yarns. The introduction does have a lot of tips for spinning, buying tops and fleece, and even how to pick a whole fleece if you're willing to clean and
Bridgett
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a read! I absolutely loved every minute of it! Soooooo much information! So much new stuff I hadn't known yet. So many things I already knew, but it never hurts to have it all in one place together!

I LOVED THE BOOK!

I think even non-spinners could get a lot of use out of this book, as it really explains fiber and it's manipulation. Knitters and crocheters, that might not really want to spin their own yarn (although I have no idea why one wouldn't) will still learn so much about the yarns a
Hazel
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference, craft, spinning
Totally inspiring book. Full of ideas for yarns, many of which I have never come across before. Beautifully presented, lots of clear photos and wonderful at a glance diagrams that show the construction of the yarns. There is also a fascinating sock-yarn experiment running through the book. In addition to this there are lots of useful small bits of information (even on things I think I know after a few years spinning) that will help me make better yarn.

I've finally put the book down to start spi
Savvy
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best spinning reference books I have read/bought so far
Julie Barrett
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ISBN: 9781603427388 B008NEZROE
boucles, cable yarns, crepe
Chandra Rogers
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I wish I'd bought this book before buying any other spinning books. A friend of mine that I'd consider a master spinner paged through it and decided she had to have a copy. The amount of work the author put in was amazing. She would spin lots of yardage, then ply each half with a different method and then knit them in to socks. She went to the trouble of using a different colored yarn when grafting to the toe so not only could she differentiate between the sock ply method, but log and rotate whi ...more
Rachael
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
this is a great book, but there are two things i think people should know. #1 - you really need a tensioned lazy kate to do pretty much all the plying in this book. #2 - it doesn't feel like as many yarn designs as it stipulates, because once you know how to make one type of yarn, like a cable, or a crepe, adding in more plies to it or changing the thickness of the plies inside isn't really what i would consider a new design. just personal opinion. the techniques for some of the yarns are really ...more
ThePinkCarrot
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book! It's been so long since I've spun wool and this book made me want to run out and buy a fleece or some roving! Lots of pictures make the spinning process super simple--anyone can do it. Wow! So many new ideas for making specialty yarns and the nifty advice that making specialty yarns can bring a high price if you're willing to share your treasure. ;-)
If you spin, knit, crochet, or weave, you'll love this book.
Josiphine/Tessa
Well, I need to own this book. I'm just barely starting with spinning and I admit I'm somewhat dazed at how many different yarns I could make--I had no idea! I only understood every fifth word, but I have a much clearer idea of how spinning works.

Four stars instead of five because the author spent entirely too much time on novelty yarns that I have no desire to knit with, ever.
Marjorie Elwood
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
What a beautiful book! For beginning spinners (the author explains the difference between an "S" and a "Z" twist, and how to card, draft, and ply) and experienced spinners alike, this book really covers the gamut of possible yarn designs. I was inspired by some of the uses she put the finished results to (cotton wick for beeswax candles), the beauty of her yarns, and by her love of beads ;-).
Juno
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loving this. Not for beginners - no learn to spin tips here, but also I'm not sure I would have gotten as much out of this without a few years of spinning under my belt.
Crystal clear, makes everything seem doable and makes you see why techniques you may not be interested in personally are still worth learning. Highly recommended.
Jan Deelstra
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arts-crafts
This ultra-comprehensive volume is complete with stunning photography and easy to follow direction. It's now up to the reader to buy their own Alpaca or go to the NY street fair and purchase raw wools. A fabulously inspiring book for anyone interested in a road trip down yarn-maker lane. No tongue-in-cheek; I really adore this book for the information and artistic design presented.
Nostalgic Necessities
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiber
I had heard of Sarah through some of her work for Spin-Off and absolutely adored her then. Needless to say, I was thrilled to hear she had written a book sharing her tips, thoughts and theories on yarn construction. Excellent reference for all those plain and fancy yarns you will want to make!
Jacqui Harding
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic spinning book - not really for beginners, but to increase skills.

like it so much I'm running a SAL with a friend!
Grayson
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredibly useful. I'm moving from the "beginning beginner" to the "advanced beginner" level, and this book was perfect for me. Loved it.
Terry
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent reference for art yarn spinning-the handy cards are good to take with your wheel when traveling
Phyllis
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiber-arts
Great technique book for spinners.
Spinspanspun Handspun
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An essential. My essential book on spinning yarn.
Lora
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fibre-arts
Lots of good, clear pictures. Excellent descriptions & lessons. I'll keep turning to this book over and over again.
Lobug
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great illustrations and descriptions. Clear and packed with great information. On my list of "must-have" for a spinner.
Karia Solano
  • The Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook
  • The Intentional Spinner
  • Color in Spinning
  • The Weaver's Idea Book: Creative Cloth on a Rigid Heddle Loom
  • Yarnitecture: A Knitter's Guide to Spinning: Building Exactly the Yarn You Want
  • Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece: Dip-Dyeing, Hand-Painting, Tie-Dyeing, and Other Creative Techniques
  • The Alden Amos Big Book of Handspinning: Being a Compendium of Information, Advice, and Opinions on the Noble Art & Craft
  • The Knitter's Book of Wool: The Ultimate Guide to Understanding, Using, and Loving this Most Fabulous Fiber
  • Learning to Weave, Revised Edition
  • Start Spinning
  • Folk Socks: The History & Techniques of Handknitted Footwear
  • Connect the Shapes Crochet Motifs: Creative Techniques for Joining Motifs of All Shapes
  • Improv Sewing: A Freeform Approach to Creative Techniques; 101 Fast, Fun, and Fearless Projects: Dresses, Tunics, Scarves, Skirts, Accessories, Pillows, Curtains, and More
  • The Essential Guide to Color Knitting Techniques
  • The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook: Dyeing, Painting, Spinning, Designing, Knitting
  • Wild Color: The Complete Guide to Making and Using Natural Dyes
  • 200 Fair Isle Motifs: A Knitter's Directory

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »