Start by marking “The Fannie Farmer Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Fannie Farmer Cookbook

The Fannie Farmer Cookbook

Here is the great basic American cookbook--with more than 1,990 recipes, plain and fancy--that belongs in every household.

Originally published in 1896 as The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book by Fannie Merritt Farmer, it became the coobook that taught generations of Americans how to cook. Completely updating it for the first time since 1979, Marion Cunningham made Fannie Far
Hardcover, Anniversary Edition, 896 pages
Published September 9th 1996 by Knopf Publishing Group (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Fannie Farmer Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fannie Farmer Cookbook

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
1,227 books — 1,112 voters
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerThe New Basics Cookbook by Julee RossoThe Fannie Farmer Cookbook by Marion CunninghamThe Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie KatzenBarefoot Contessa Family Style by Ina Garten
Best Cookbooks Ever
343 books — 166 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Fannie Farmer Cookbook
Randi
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love this cookbook! It is my very favorite! All the recipes are simple and if you like good old fashioned homemade food that is easy to make and doesn't cost a lot, this is for you. This book will teach you how to cook. The ingredients are basic and there are many recipes for simple inexpensive dishes. A must for people on a budget who want to learn to cook from scratch.

The date is set for today but I have had this book for 5 years and I still use it all the time.
da AL
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Consistently reliable, informative, & comprehensive... ...more
DeB MaRtEnS
The Fanny Farmer Cookbook has been around for a long, long time. I was given a paperback copy by my mother in 1972 and its tattered cover barely holds the contents of this excellent cookery manual. My mother's favourite cookbook, a thick hardcover, the source of waffle batter, baking powder biscuits and the best dumplings for a beef stew, I remember learning how to use our cast iron waffle maker in the 1960’s with Fanny Farmer's directions. THAT cookbook was left with my father after my mother's ...more
Jennie
Aug 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who love butter
Shelves: my-library, cookbooks
This is my #1 standby cookbook. I refer to it for almost everything, for various ways to prepare literally any vegetable I can think of, to baking cakes, cobblers and many old-fashioned delights that I have never heard of. It is comprehensive enough that I cross-reference all recipes against it. My great-grandmother used this book, and she was an amazing cook, so I trust it for pretty much all basic recipes. I must note, if you are vegetarian-leaning, it is worth it to pick up the latest edition ...more
Julie Barrett
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it
The Fannie Farmer cookbook by Marion Cunninhgam
Always trying to improve on our healthy eating habits so thought I'd listen to this book on tape about the Fannie Farmer cookbook.
So much information about measuring and how different ingredients react to liquid, heat, etc Also entertaining ideas and even beverages are discussed.
More than 30 hours to listen to the whole book. So much information, treasured the vegetable section and how to cook them differently.
I received this book from National Libr
Jane Dugger
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a fabulous reference cookbook! This would be a great gift for a new home.
Gopi
Apr 28, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Marion Cunningham writes cookbooks the way I would: informative, but dull; all head and no heart.

The recipes are reliable and simple, but uninspiring and unspectacular.

I'd say skip this one, and get How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. For some historical perspective and to see why Fannie Farmer herself was so important to cookbook authors everywhere, you should also have a look at 1896 Boston Cooking-School Cookbook.
B.A.
Jul 30, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fanny is a good staple, especially for someone rather new to the kitchen (not too new, you have to at least know the basics as there are no pictures and few drawings). If you only owned one cookbook, this would be a decent choice as it contains all the major categories. However, if you love food and you love to cook, you will outgrow Fanny.
Drawback: My edition doesn't have any nutritional information, which dates any cookbook.
Donna Davis
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, reviewed
I received this cookbook as a wedding gift in 1979. The marriage didn't last, but the cookbook has remained my closest kitchen ally. Recipes are altered with every publication, and so although the cover has fallen from it and the binding is failing, I put a big rubber band around it when not in use. I have a lot of cookbooks, but this is the one I reach for still.
Crystal
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is really a hands-down best "go to" guide for cooking really anything you can think of. It gives the basics as well as more complex recipes. I find myself reaching for this again and again.

It would make a wonderful gift for a newly married couple or any person starting out in the kitchen.
Katherine
Jan 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: anyone who can find an old version
Recommended to Katherine by: my mom and grandparents
I read my mom's 1960 (?) copy of Fannie Farmer over Xmas break from front to back - as if it were a novel. All the really neat parts of that edition are missing from the newer editions. Bummer. I would have liked to see a trend of old fashioned coffee made with eggshells and yolk; or cookies made with chicken fat.

Cathy
Aug 29, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good cookbook for vegan baking (believe it or not!) There are many recipes for things that use only one egg (which is easy to substitute) and some which call for no dairy at all. Good for pie crust, cobbler and other traditional baked goods.
Reevesjenny
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Haven't been reading much, but have been baking some treats from this great book my mother in law gave me years ago! I recommend the any fruit crisp! We had one last night with strawberries and apples. Yum
Robert
I have always been a fan of the Fannie Farmer cookbook. This is my go-to basic cookbook for whenever I need to read up on how to do something or at what temperature something should cook at.

I find this easy to follow and enjoy the approach taken in describing dishes.
Lynn
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a great all purpose cookbook with wonderful recipes. Although I have many, many cookbooks, Fanny Farmer, the Joy of Cooking and The Best Skillet Recipes, a gift from a dear friend, are the three that I use 95% of the time and contain the vast majority of my family's favorite recipes.
Theresa
May 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This is the ultimate cookbook. Everyone should have this as a staple in their kitchen. If you are ever in question on how to go about cooking something, you have a pretty good chance of finding the answer in the Fannie Farmer Cookbook.
Katherine
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Although the copy I have is older, printed in the early '80s, this is pretty much the gold standard of basic cookbooks. I always refer back to it for things, and this is the first time I really sat down and read it all the way through.
Misty
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My fiance's paternal grandmother gave me this little treasure! I have some of my family's recipes that I love, but this book is now my go to for everything that isn't in my own collection.
Anna
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the best basic cookbook in America, hands down. It is filled with all the classic dishes you could ever imagine, as well as some great old forgotten recipes.
Margie
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
I use this even more often than The Joy of Cooking for reference.
Taz H
Jul 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
My much loved and much used original copy of the 1979 edition was destroyed in a fire and I was looking to replace it. This was a much awaited revised and updated version of the 1979 edition. It was a huge disappointment. The recipes had been altered greatly and no longer worked as well. Classic recipes were removed. It was a disaster. I threw away this book and bought a second hand copy of the 1979 vesion.
Rachel
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Three cheers for the perfect cookbook! Really. Whether you know nothing or everything about preparing food this book will come in handy. Basic techniques, delicious recipes, and Cunningham's updates are stellar. Awesome food is possible.
Mintkittytea
"To my darling daughter Teresa on her 22nd birthday. May you have many happy years and great meals. May 26/95 Mom"

It's an amazing cookbook, too.

more later
Jane DeMouy
I don't know how this goton my list; I've never read it.
Kirsten
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite traditional cookbooks. You can learn how to cook almost anything from the FFC. The banana bread continues to be a family favorite, but there is something for everyone.
Mary-ellen
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My cooking Bible
Reid Wayman
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My go to cookbook for more than 40 years
Jasmeet Kaur
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really want to read this book but it does not let me read it
Pamela
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
My go-to cookbook for all the basics.
Claire
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: beginner cooks; parents
I grew up with my mother's 1970's split, falling apart, taped in separated pages copy gracing our kitchen and always begged her to get another book. Then one day, this hardcover reissued anniversary edition came under my tree and I have learned why my mother kept her tattered, broken copy as something sacred.

Despite having been given so many different instructional guides, Fannie Farmer has been my go-to guide for many years. Not only do I look up techniques I do not know or cannot remember, I
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Feasting with Your Slow Cooker
  • The New Best Recipe
  • Mastering the Art of French Cooking
  • The Gourmet Cookbook: More than 1000 recipes
  • The New York Times Cook Book (Revised Edition)
  • The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook
  • Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book
  • Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food
  • The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook
  • How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food
  • Hello, Cupcake
  • Keto Diet for Beginners: 30-Day Keto Meal Plan for Rapid Weight Loss. Ketogenic Meal Prep Cookbook Full of Easy to Follow Recipes! Lose up to 20 Pounds in 30 Days!
  • Everyday Food: Great Food Fast
  • The Cake Mix Doctor
Marion Cunningham was born in Southern California in 1922, and now lives in Walnut Creek. She was responsible for the revision of The Fannie Farmer Cookbook and is the author of The Breakfast Book, and Cooking with Children. She travels frequently throughout the country giving cooking demonstrations (some with James Beard), has contributed articles to "Bon Appetit," "Food & Wine," and "Gourmet" ...more

News & Interviews