Start by marking “Writing the Fiction Series: The Complete Guide for Novels and Novellas” as Want to Read:
Writing the Fiction Series: The Complete Guide for Novels and Novellas

Writing the Fiction Series: The Complete Guide for Novels and Novellas

The definitive guide to crafting a series!
From the Hunger Games Trilogy to the Jack Reacher Series, from Harry Potter to Harry Dresden, there's no denying that writers--and readers--have caught series fever. But if you're contemplating writing a series, there are plenty of considerations you'll need to make first. Writing the Fiction Series is the complete guide to ensurin
Paperback, First Edition, 345 pages
Published May 30th 2013 by Writer's Digest Books (first published May 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Writing the Fiction Series, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing the Fiction Series

S.M.
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
1.5 stars, because I did not enjoy this read at all and got *very* little out of it, but I believe others can get more than I did.

"Writing the Fiction Series" is (unintentionally, I believe) heavily weighted toward commercial romance series. Wiesner thoroughly discusses combining genres--for example, fantasy with humor, romance with suspense, historical fiction with time travel or other sci-fi aspects, etc.--but the vast majority of her advice would not necessarily hold in, say, the SF/F/Horror
Marcy Weydemuller
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: novelists
Shelves: writing
Writing the Fiction Series: The Guide for Novels and Novellas by Karen S. Wiesner

Not only does this book fill in a long overdue gap in craft skills for novel writers, but it also delivers. Although I knew a preview copy was enroute, I couldn’t wait so purchased the kindle copy to get started. And I stayed up very late my first night reading. This does not happen very often with craft books. In fact only a few of the writing books I read make it to my column.

Wiesner is also the author of First D
Jason Vigorito
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
The title, "Writing a Fiction Series," speaks for itself. Karen Wiesner has produced a tremendous manual on how to achieve the fiction series you are longing to write. It doesn't matter if the series is short or long, Wiesner provides the nuts-and-bolts of all things writing over an extended number of volumes.

All the basic concepts are covered from vocabulary to plot development. There are a number of terms you may be unaware of while developing your series; this book will provide the terminolo
Jeff Stanger
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you're considering writing a series, this is where you must start. Included are lots of extras that you will go to again and again to keep things straight. It doesn't just contain advice on writing the series but additional how to sell it to a publisher and/or market your series.
Kimberly Sabatini
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft-of-writing
I've been searching high and low for a book on this topic. This was fabulous and so helpful. Highly recommend it.
Bethany  T
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
With a different, more honest title, this book would get a four stars from me. But who ever chose the title was trying to draw in a larger audience than the book actually stands to serve. More properly, this book should be labeled "Writing the Romance Fiction Series".

Karen S. Wiesner writes commercial romance, mostly, though looking at Amazon, she seems to have taken a turn to writing book on writing for the last few years. I would certainly be concerned if anyone tried to copy her book cover s
Debra Daniels-zeller
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, writing
I picked this book to find out how author's create arcs and characters for a series. However, this book leans a little too much into cozy mysteries and romance series for me and I found much of the information about series not very useful. Here is an example: "The word series has many connotations in fiction writing, but in the most basic sense, an ongoing book series is any continuing or interconnected set of stories." Okay, I already knew that. It seems obvious. The author goes on to elaborate ...more
L.M. Elm
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-craft, 2018
If you want to know how to plan and write a fiction series in any genre, check this book out. When it comes to providing examples, Wiesner does toot her own horn but also provides other authors' examples which balances out the experiences. It's not a fast read by any means, especially if you plan to use the appendixes to try out some of her suggestions on your own writing. One of the few books where I read and realized that I needed for my own collection.
Heather Myers
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good beginning but

I think this is a good start but I’m going to be honest - I’m disappointed. I didn’t learn much from this book about series at all. As a writer, I want to learn how to juggle multiple characters and plot arcs through a story and a series but there was no touch on that. It was more like here’s what a series need (lots of definitions and interviews) but no actual HOW to go about doing them.
Angel
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So so many helpful things in this book. I've been working on a series for 7 years, changing it constantly because I didn't know where it was going or how I wanted it to end. Karen Wiesner is amazing and knows her stuff.
April Taylor
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on writing a series. A must for authors who want to write a fiction series.
Cora Snow
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
3/5.
I actually skimmed most of this because it was all stuff I already knew. Good for beginners, I guess, and there were some good tidbits I got out of it, but mostly, it was so verbose that I just wanted to be done reading it.
Nick Goodsell
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
It took a long time to read this, but I do believe it made some good material for any newcomers in the world of writing fiction. A lot of people don’t realize how much work actually goes into writing a novel now a days, at least, if it’s going to a well written one.

The book was a way to realize what exactly needed to be done in order to really get started; I especially liked the way it differentiated between story arc and the series arc; I’m currently in the process of working on a series, and
Christian
Feb 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
I did not care for this at all. I'd just read a really excellent "how to for writers" book, so it's difficult to judge this one in a vacuum. But this one... I was prejudiced against it by the lackluster introduction. No, chapter two does not "hone in" on anything. Maybe that was a typo that eluded all rounds of proofing, but it made me mistrust this writer. The intro also explained that chapter three delves into [X] topic, chapter four lays out, ch. five lays out, ch. six delves... really? There ...more
Emily
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It has so much useful info about the writing process but more specifically, for writing a series (which is virtually all I do). I've never found another book on writing that catered specifically to series or one that was so insightful (no matter the story length). The only issue I had (and I'm not sure if I'd even call it an issue really...) with this book was the author was a bit....self-promoting? With several of the examples, she used her own work as a reference. I understa ...more
Sarah Brubaker
Aug 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, writing
This book was very helpful in changing the way I think about planning a series; it's exactly the resource I needed for looking at the big picture beyond the individual novel. In particular, the appendices with worksheets and examples were very useful, and I will continue to use them as resources in the future.
Wiesner clearly comes from a viewpoint of experience, having written many series. This is good, because I can accept her authority on the subject. Although her ability to give first-hand e
Holli
This is a pretty good book. I like that it's for writing series, rather than just one book. As my stories all seem to end up having series potential, it seems, this is the kind of information I need. This is one of those books one needs to read more than once as it has a lot of information in it. My hope is that this book will help me organize the mishmash that is my series thingies and help me make sense of them so I stop ending up curled in a ball on the floor twitching about how something I s ...more
Suzanna J Linton
Jul 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book had some very useful information. However, between her extreme enthusiasm for Harry Potter and her tendency to beat a point into the ground, I was more than happy to be finished with it. Also, don't let the thickness fool you. Over half of the book are series spliced down into examples.
D.M.
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Informative

This book had a lot of good information. It's written for traditionally published authors but as an indie author I was still able to take a lot away from it and learn the tips and tricks of writing a successful series.
Tanya
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-on-writing
Excellent resource if you're going to be writing any kind of fictional series. The worksheets at the back will really help you get your series organized and keep track of all your different character arcs, etc.
Justin Tyme
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is intended as a resource for authors developing a series. Although much of it maybe common sense and overloaded with examples, an author could use this as a checklist for series development. It also includes worksheets that an author could tweak for his or her own style.
Cori
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not very helpful.
Madhavi Ghare
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great advice - good examples…
Timothy Pecoraro
May 30, 2014 rated it liked it
There were some good pearls in here. But the author wastes a lot of time on examples. If I didnt understand the concept to begin with five examples prob wont help much. Maybe try just one.
Kathryn Herron
Aug 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel: How to Knock 'em Dead with Style
  • 90 Days to Your Novel: A Day-By-Day Plan for Outlining & Writing Your Book
  • Writer with a Day Job: Inspiration & Exercises to Help You Craft a Writing Life Alongside Your Career
  • Plot Versus Character: A Balanced Approach to Writing Great Fiction
  • Book in a Month: The Fool-Proof System for Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • Where Do You Get Your Ideas?: A Writer's Guide to Transforming Notions Into Narratives
  • Writing Great Books for Young Adults: Everything You Need to Know, from Crafting the Idea to Landing a Publishing Deal
  • What Would Your Character Do?
  • Blueprint Your Bestseller: Organize and Revise Any Manuscript with the Book Architecture Method
  • Showing & Telling: Learn How to Show & When to Tell for Powerful & Balanced Writing
  • Bullies, Bastards and Bitches: How to Write the Bad Guys of Fiction
  • How to Be a Writer: Building Your Creative Skills Through Practice and Play
  • Finding Your Voice: How to Put Personality in Your Writing
  • First Draft in 30 Days: A Novel Writer's System for Building a Complete and Cohesive Manuscript
  • Conflict and Suspense (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes and Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes