Start by marking “Spiritual Gems of Islam: Insights & Practices from the Qur'an, Hadith, Rumi & Muslim Teaching Stories to Enlighten the Heart & Mind” as Want to Read:

Refine your heart and mind with the wisdom of Islamic spirituality

"To live a meaningful life--one that brings us joy, contentment and fulfillment--we have to do the inner spiritual work of becoming a more complete human being."
--from the Introduction

Over the centuries, Islamic sages have gleaned timeless spiritual insights and practices from sacred texts, me
Published March 1st 2013 by Skylight Paths Publishing (first published November 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Spiritual Gems of Islam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spiritual Gems of Islam

Naomi
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully reflective and instructive, full of Imam Rahman's joyful spirit and encouraging presence, this book is meant to be useful both to Muslims and those following other paths who would like to learn from Islamic wisdom. This is excellent for a 33 week adult spiritual study circle, as a devotional or worship resource, and for personal use.
Lori Margaret
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can't say enough about this book. There isn't a sentence that doesn't deserve to be highlighted. Twice. It's enlightening, insightful, informative - and interspersed with humor and gentleness. It's absolutely beautiful.
Kendrick Smith
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A powerful gem of wisdom that beautifully and lovingly expresses and shows one (regardless of their choice of spiritual path/practice) through poems, stories, and internal reflections how to open his/her heart, find themselves, and draw closer to the Creator. It truly displays not only the beauty, but also the genuine intent of Islam and Sufism with open arms, no dogma, and no ambiguity whatsoever. If people only took to time to study and step outside of their box of preconditioned thinking, the ...more
Heidi Stallman
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I consider myself a Christian mystic, and I loved this book. It was full of spiritual wisdom, love, and compassion for all people on all spiritual paths. I enjoyed learning more about Sufi teachings and the spiritual insights of Islam, and I found the spiritual practices and exercises at the end of each section meaningful and helpful for deepening my own spiritual practices. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to deepen or broaden their spiritual wisdom.
Arwa
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and Uplifting Spiritual Guide

A beautiful, uplifting book on the beauty of living a meaningful, inspiring life dedicated to purifying your soul and serving mankind, mother earth and God. Highly recommend.
Tom
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book will open our eyes to the spiritual side of Sufism, a minority spiritual sect within Islam.
I know the author personally. He is a gentle, caring, and peaceful person.
He does not like what is happening to and within Islam in today's world.
Even if you are not Muslim, as I am not, you will find personal value in reading this profound yet simple book.
Sirigiri Vipin
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and highly recommended for Sufi-readers!
The delighting metaphors, Mulla stories and numerous examples from other religions make the book even more incredible. On some long holiday, I'm definitely picking this one again to spend more time with the reflections and practices at the end of each chapter.
Anne
rated it did not like it
Jul 29, 2018
Shabana
Jan 14, 2018
“As Rumi reminds us, a bee and a wasp may drink from the same flower, but one produces nectar and the other a sting. We must choose the nectar.” 3 likes
“In the second story, which reminds me to look inward for solutions to what may be troubling me, the ninth-century sage Rabia was looking for a lost key under a streetlight. Her neighbors turned out to help, but without success. Finally, they asked where she might have dropped the key, so that they could better focus their search. “Actually,” said Rabia, “I lost it in my house.” Bemused, they asked her why she didn’t look for it there. “Because,” she said, “there’s no light in my house, but out here the light is bright!” The neighbors laughed, and Rabia seized the moment to make her point. “Friends,” she said, “you are intelligent people and that is why you laugh. But tell me: When you lose your joy or peace of mind because of some disappointment or hardship, did you lose it out there [gesturing around her] or in here [gesturing to her heart]?” We tend to lay blame on our external circumstances and seek superficial solutions, but the truth is that we lost our peace and joy inside ourselves. We avoid looking inside us, where the light is dim. When we make it a lifelong practice to shine the light of compassionate awareness on ourself, our shadow gently begins to diminish, and we come closer to discovering our radiant, divine Self.” 2 likes