Start by marking “On God's Side: What Religion Forgets and Politics Hasn't Learned about Serving the Common Good” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  234 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
"My concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side."--Abraham Lincoln

Lincoln led America through one of the most tumultuous times in our nation's history. Reading his words today, it is clear we still have much to learn concerning what it means to be on God's side.

Bestselling author, public theologian, and leading Christian activist

Published April 1st 2013 by Brazos Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about On God's Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On God's Side

Jennifer Pebbles
Jun 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm still wading my way through this one.

I am not religious, but I bought this book after hearing his interview on NPR- because most of what he discussed about the problems with the current religious/political climate are the very reasons why I am not religious.

He had me when discussing scripture where Jesus said- "What you do to the least of these, you do to me." It rang so true to me about the hypocritical actions of politicians claiming to be "Christian" but trying to take away the programs
Lee Harmon
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Has Christianity been derailed from serving the common good to mandating bipartisan stances? If Christian principles mean standing up for God, then in the myriad of complex political issues—from same-sex marriage to immigration reform—how do we know which side to take? Which side is God’s side?

Wallis asserts we can find God on the side of compassion. The common good. Throw out your gospels of self-help, personal enhancement, prosperity, and parochial nationalism, and instead look to the story of
Michelle
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book with my bible study/book study group and so had the pleasure of discussing each chapter. Wallis is liberal and progressive. A Christian, he takes a good hard look at Christianity in American politics today and largely doesn't like what he sees. While he tries to give equal support and critique to conservatives and liberals, he clearly sides with the latter. I do too, so that wasn't a problem for me. His message is this: Christianity requires more than looking out for ourselves. ...more
Tom
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Another great book by Jim Wallis. I don't want to say that this book is "rehashed" material, b/c that would not be quite fair. However, if you have read Jim Wallis' other books (and read them with an open mind) you will see that this is the type of thing he has been saying and writing about for years and years. He just is a lot more "pastoral and personal" in this book and steers clear of a lot of overtly political ideology. His only goal is for us to understand that as Christians, and as a soci ...more
Jenn Raley
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith
I really appreciate Jim Wallis and the work of Sojourners, so I eagerly anticipated this book. I even pre-ordered it so I would get a chance to read it before being bombarded by magazine and blog excerpts!

A lot of the content of the book will be familiar to readers of Sojourners' various outlets. As with much of the content in Wallis' previous books, many articles and blog posts get repurposed into the book, or vice versa.

The book's greatest strength is in Part 1, which examines the Biblical, th
Malin Friess
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jim Wallis and I would likely disagree politically on a variety of issues (immigration, minimum wage, foreign policy, tax policy, size of government, social welfare programs, american exceptionalism). But he cares for the Christian Faith, our nation, and genuninely seeks as Abraham Lincoln wrote during the Civil War..."My concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concenr is to be on God's side.

Wallis does an excellent job reminding me of the highlights of the Biblical Narative - The
Louise Hassell
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A must read book for anyone who is concerned about the American political system today. The author is an Evangelical minister which caused me initially to have some pre-conceived notions that turned out to be quite wrong. Whatever side of the political aisle you belong on you need to read this book. Thought-provoking!
Carol R.
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Possibly I bought this book when it was released just after the 2012 election cycle, or maybe I picked it up used more recently. In any case, I didn't read it until now, after the horrific 2016 election cycle. Wallis expressed a small optimism that things were changing, that people of faith and no faith had realized after the 2012 elections that they needed to work together for the common good. Obviously, his optimism did not pan out as our current political environment makes crystal clear. But ...more
Shenard Robinson
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
As expected, Wallis did not disappoint. I read God's Politics awhile ago, and having read, On God's Side, solidifies my belief in social Christian ministry. The two are not mutually exclusive even if the prevailing sentiment is that living within mainstream American religious belief prohibits religious protest. A wonderful read, and one worth understanding what Wallis is asking of us, whether Christian or not, as we build a world where kingdom doesn't mean oppression.
Jo Oehrlein
This book is powerful. It really called me to think about what I believe and how I act on that belief.

I like that he talks about getting people from both conservative and liberal/progressive denominations/religions and about getting republicans and democrats to agree on certain key things. He emphasizes what we can learn from each other and points out that some things are worth protecting.
How do we relearn civility and strive for the common good? 1 3 Nov 30, 2013 09:11AM
  • Tokens of Trust
  • The Future of Faith
  • Unfinished: Believing Is Only the Beginning
  • We Can Have Peace in the Holy Land: A Plan That Will Work
  • And It Don't Stop: The Best American Hip-Hop Journalism of the Last 25 Years
  • Genesis for Normal People: A Guide to the Most Controversial, Misunderstood, and Abused Book of the Bible
  • Free: Spending Your Time and Money on What Matters Most
  • Living the Quaker Way: Timeless Wisdom For a Better Life Today
Jim Wallis is president and CEO of Sojourners and editor in chief of Sojourners magazine. He is a bestselling author, public theologian, national preacher, social activist, and international commentator on ethics and public life.

Wallis has written ten books, including the New York Times bestsellers God’s Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn’t Get It and The Great Awakening, and

More about Jim Wallis...