Start by marking “Lost Recipes: Meals to Share with Friends and Family” as Want to Read:
Lost Recipes: Meals to Share with Friends and Family

Lost Recipes: Meals to Share with Friends and Family

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  113 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
From:Marion Cunningham
To:The American home cook
Subject (URGENT):The family table

We need to lure our families, friends, and neighbors back to the table, to sit down and eat together. It is important that we be in charge again of our cooking, working with fresh, unadulterated ingredients. Enclosed you will find many simple-to-make, good-tasting, inexpensive dishes from the p
Published October 14th 2003 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Lost Recipes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Recipes

Sara
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
More like "standard recipes". If you have five cookbooks in your kitchen, plus a few family recipe cards, I'd almost guarantee you you have all these recipes already.

I was looking for actual "lost" recipes, not Corn Chowder, Scalloped Potatoes, and Green Onion Pie (which I was excited about until I read the ingredients and realized it was just a standard quiche).

If you've never cooked before, hate blogs, and want a simple, fairly good-looking book to eat from, this is probably a good bet.
Joyce
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a good cookbook of simple homestyle comfort food.

Update: The Lemon Pudding Cake and the Country Captain were very good and easy to prepare. It's summer in Tucson and I don't feel like fussing too much in the kitchen. While both dishes used the oven, they did fit the bill for easy and good.
Lori
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
I loved the nostalgic pictures but I especially love the quotes. If ever you wondered about the importance of gathering the family around the table for a meal...just read this! I can't say there are a lot of recipes I will make but that to me is was really not the purpose.
Katherine
Jan 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: my grandparents
I checked this book out from the library because I was on a big Fannie Farmer cookbook kick, and Marion Cunningham seemed like a goddess. But now, I am pretty much over her. She has some fun things to say about old-timey recipes, but she sounds like a real know-it-all when she says it. Who likes to take orders from a know-it-all??!

I made the sticky bun recipe (three sticks of butter) and liked how it turned out okay. Not enough to make them again, but there were a few moments when I felt like I
Daisy
Jul 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
A little preachy but it has at least a dozen recipes I'd try. I have to return it to the library or I'd make something right now. I wish there were photographs accompanying the recipes. Instead there are quotes about the importance of families eating meals together. The best one is the one from a New Yorker article by Francine du Plessix Gray. Otherwise, Cunningham quotes People magazine a lot. I do not approve.

Cecelia Blair
Love this book. It has a super-handy pocket in the front where you can put recipe cards and clippings. It also has some lovely, old fashioned recipes. I originally got this as a gift to give a family member, but I like it so much I am keeping it for myself.
Laurie
Sep 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I like this new book not just for the recipes, or for the clever format, but for the sprinkling of quotes that assert cooking is an art, and one essential for the growth of the human spirit. A book to give anyone beginning a marriage, or a family or… well, anyone.
Kim
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I picked this up because I love her other cookbook. lots of unique recipes that are a fresh perspective with common items. If I had actually made more than one, and had success, this would have been a 5*. But in practice it was a bit too 'out there'.
Jenny
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
wonderful! can't wait to cook my way through this little gem.
Feb 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
There are not many pictures in this book, but these recipes are homey and oh so good! Check it out from the library.
Amy
Sep 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Some nice traditional, family dinner recipes. Nothing too fancy or fussy.
Darla
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good addition to any cookbook collection
Lynda
Jun 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Had some good recipes, but honestly I was expecting more. Maybe because I have collected and read so many cookbooks over the years, there was nothing in here I had not seen before.
Marianna
May 22, 2012
Rachael
Jul 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Cooking Light Cook's Essential Recipe Collection: Slow Cooker: 57 essential recipes to eat smart, be fit, live well
  • Country Living The Farm Chicks in the Kitchen: Live Well, Laugh Often, Cook Much
  • Cover & Bake
  • America's Best Lost Recipes
  • The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook
  • The Gourmet Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World
  • Into the Vietnamese Kitchen: Treasured Foodways, Modern Flavors
  • Emeril's TV Dinners: Kickin' It Up A Notch With Recipes From Emeril Live And Essence Of Emeril
  • Mario Batali Simple Italian Food: Recipes from My Two Villages
  • Cupcakes!: From the Cake Mix Doctor
  • In Memory's Kitchen: A Legacy from the Women of Terezin
  • BakeWise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking with Over 200 Magnificent Recipes
  • Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook: A Master Baker's 300 Favorite Recipes for Perfect-Every-Time Bread-From Every Kind of Machine
  • Manual Of Freediving: Underwater On A Single Breath
Marion Cunningham was born in Southern California in 1922, and now lives in Walnut Creek. She was responsible for the revision of The Fannie Farmer Cookbook and is the author of The Breakfast Book, and Cooking with Children. She travels frequently throughout the country giving cooking demonstrations (some with James Beard), has contributed articles to "Bon Appetit," "Food & Wine," and "Gour ...more
More about Marion Cunningham...