Start by marking “Mother” as Want to Read:
Mother

Read Excerpt

Mother

When her husband abandons them for another woman, Jane Winston is left to raise their teen-aged daughter as a single mother. She loves Emma more than anything in the world and would do anything for her, no matter how high the cost. Emma, on the other hand, hates her mother and goes out of her way to make her life miserable. What will it take to restore the loving relations ...more
Published July 19th 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother

Start your review of Mother
Eugenie
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story is a poignant reminder to me that I should not neglect those closest to me.

It is a warning that we should be careful not to take for granted our nearest and dearest, that one day something unexpected might happen and we lose the chance to demonstrate just how much we truly love them.

The novel employs a complicated relationship between a single mother and her teenage daughter in order to demonstrate that it is so easy for people to misunderstand each other, leading them to hurt those
Angel Gelique
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
As I am the author, I cannot offer an unbiased review! This was my very first novel...a book I'd been wanting to write for years. If you give it a try, I would love to hear your opinion.
F
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, usa
It just annoyed me so much how much of a pushover Jane was.
Seriously wanted to slap her myself not to mention what I would of done to Emma.
I found the ending just too cheesy.
JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust
** ** 3.5 "CHILD PLEASE" Stars****

First I would like to say, I'm a huge fan of Angel Gelique . I struggled with my rating as the story was well written and emotionally exhausting. Which is what readers want, right?.. Unfortunately ANGER( we're talking Hulk rage here) was at the top of my feels... with frustration and annoyance following steadily behind. Let me show you a glimpse of what you can expect if you choose to give Mother a try..

"I told you, Jane, I don't want any cookies. That‟s your s
Angie **loves angst**
"Her daughter hated her."

Mother is an unflinching, up close look into the break down of a mother daughter relationship.
While reading this I just kept thinking: Hurt people hurt people.

Meet Emma and Jane, a mother daughter duo...

description

Jane is an an ex model who now works for an insurance company. She becomes a single parent after she finds her husband, Gregory, in bed with another woman. Jane refuses Gregory's apology, and his attempts at reconciliation, and eventually he moves out leaving her to
Maree Repa
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book showing the strength that a mother has for her daughter. How a mother can get through all the pain and anguish and still stand beside her with totally love. I found it very hard to stop reading this book. How the strength can stay with a mother, who never gives up on her through her pain. A great book for anyone with a teenager to understand a mothers point of view.
Ali
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hold it now ... wait a minute ...

So I cried all throughout chapters 20, 21, 22, & most of 23, but Jane ...? and Emma was just ...?

What a roller coaster of a ride this story took me on, but I guess that's because it resonates truth, and I felt a connection to each of the characters, especially with Emma in the end. She really was just a child who was sheltered to the point that it was detrimental to her health and well-being.

I think this is an important story for, not only teenagers to read, but
Kay Oliver
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story may not have the big thrills like murder or monsters, but it will keep you reading as if it did. Angel's writing is superb and she keeps the tension tight throughout. Though you want to scream at the characters and bash them over the head with their own book you feel right along with them on this emotional roller coaster. And then just when you think things might come to a close, Angel pulls the rug out from under you and amps up the story ten fold. An excellent writer and a gripping ...more
Reeda Booke
This book had one of the most despicable, vain, petty, manipulative characters I have ever (read) met. The book was predictable, but it was like a car crash; you have to slow down and take a look even though you know in your heart that it is morbid. So it was with me...I couldn't stop reading. I was screaming at this book and couldn't help thinking it might have all been avoided if the parents had just sat the kid down and explained it to her.
Coralie
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The story is not an uncommon one. A broken marriage, a woman left suffering from low self esteem and a daughter with unresolved abandonment issues who is looking for someone to bear the blunt of the blame for her father leaving. The Mother, Jane has doted on her daughter Emma since the day she was born, even to the point of being more interested in her child than in her husband, Gregory. When Emma starts school, Jane is left at home alone without her child's company and depression sets in which ...more
Gina
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book! Definitely could not put this book down. A must read for all moms and pre-teens alike. A real life lesson. Highly recommended.
Adrian Pocock
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great find. Very well written!!

It's hard to write a review without giving away any spoilers, so I'll keep it short & sweet. Great book, very well written. I found it hard to put down & was always just reading one more page before going to sleep, which meant I'd read it in about 3 days (which is quick for me!)

About to read her other book which sounds a lot darker. Really looking forward to it.

Adey (UK)
Robyn
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After I read the first chapter I didn't know if it was my kind of thing, once I carried on reading it I couldn't put it down and read it within the day, brilliant author can't wait to read her next book.
Heather
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a mother of a teen daughter this is a must read for both mothers and daughters! Brilliantly written and relatable, once I picked it up I couldn't put it down.
Donna
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love and hate this novel.
Love it for how well it was written, for the story in itself and the emotional turmoil it brought out in me.
Hate it for the latter part mentioned above.
Jane and Emma are the most dysfunctional mother daughter pair I've ever met. The rage and despair these too shared had me on an emotional rollercoster. Both very unlikable characters. You will despise them both, but will find yourself hoping for the best.
There's a reason they say a Mother's love is unconditional...thi
Lisa Ann
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Lisa Ann by: Goodreads First Reads
**ATTENTION, SPOILER ALERT**

I wanted to like this book, I really did, but I had a lot of trouble liking and developing a connection to the characters and some of the story points, although I do appreciate what the author was trying to do here. Mother is the story of an adult parent, Jane, and her soon to be 16 year-old daughter Emma. After the break-up of Jane's marriage due to infidelity on the part of the now absent Gregory, her self-esteem takes a beating and her relationship with her daughte
Jane
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mother ~ A Novel is a sad story of the relationship of a mother and daughter after the father left the family. The author did an excellent job showing a dysfunctional family with no communication skills and the results was the constant and inappropriate conduct and disrespect of Emma the daughter toward Jane the mother. As an educator that depends on families to support their children this story made me sad because I have seen it too often in the children that pass through my classrooms. It is a ...more
Jo
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 200-to-299-pages
As a Mother I found the story of Emma and her daughter, Jane to be a very sad story of the relationship of a mother and daughter after the father abandoned the family. What a dysfunctional family this story portrayed and I think that so many young people (I'm 94, so everyone seems young to me)find themselves in this kind of situation. It is so sad what families face today and couples do not remain faithful to each other; it seems like the children always get the worst of the deal.
Mark
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Like the two Hillary books I've read from this author Angel Gelique, I enjoyed this one as well. Mother tells the story of Jane and Emma Winston, who for the entire duration of this have a stormy relationship. I actually liked these characters, enough so I kept reading to see what would happen next. Just as I started feeling disappointed with the way the ending looked like it was going, it turned out okay.
Carla ☺Did I Say That☺
Feb 16, 2014 added it
Recommended to Carla ☺Did I Say That☺ by: Jenna **Dreams**
Review To Come
Katie Brown
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ok... I had extra fun reading this book because a good friend of mine wrote it!! So thrilled that you are writing, Angelique!!!!!
Shadow Girl
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story, but it aggrivated my damn allergies ::sniffle::
Full RTC :)

Tony Parsons
Dec 14, 2013
Matt Munday
Jun 25, 2018

• A Happy Bureaucracy (The Happy Bureaucracy, #1)
  • Coming Together: Two Horror Novellas
  • PlentyofFreaks
  • Castles
  • One of Them (Year of the Zombie, #11)
  • Ashes
  • The Missing Years of Thomas Pritchard
  • Boys For Sale
  • Felix Pie Loves Zombies
  • Sprite
  • Frightful: A Short Story Collection of Christmas Horror
  • Paradise Park
  • High Life at the End of the World (Preppers, #1)
  • A Very Bad Year: Twelve Stories in an Anthology of Horror and Suspense
  • A Girl and Her Cob
  • Red Flag
  • Demonic Indemnity
  • Diary of a Hoarder's Daughter
Take my hand and let me lead you to the dark side....

I don't want you to curl up and be cozy; I want to take you well out of your comfort zone.
I don't want to send a tingle up your spine; I want to paralyze you with fear.
I don't want you to read about a character's fright; I want you to experience it.
I don't want to take you down a well-traveled path; I want to lead you beyond the shadows into a r

News & Interviews