Start by marking “Rehearsals for Oblivion, Act I: Tales of the King in Yellow” as Want to Read:
Rehearsals for Oblivion, Act I: Tales of the King in Yellow

Rehearsals for Oblivion, Act I: Tales of the King in Yellow

This first volume in a comprehensive set of weird fiction and poetry focuses on one of the genre’s most mysterious and intriguing figures—a mythos created by Robert W. Chambers.
Cover art by Tim Wilson
Published September 1st 2006 by Elder Signs Press

To ask other readers questions about Rehearsals for Oblivion, Act I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rehearsals for Oblivion, Act I

Carpentermt
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rehearsals for Oblivion, Act One is a book of fiction inspired by the stories of Robert W. Chambers, particularly The King in Yellow. This is a subgenre I have always been fond of, that I have most often encountered in collections of Lovecraftian stories. Purists would argue whether Yellow Sign works should be called mythos fiction (of course most HPL fans like most weird fiction, including Chambers' stuff, so this is where the audience is). HPL admired the Yellow Sign stories and briefly mentio ...more
Kevin
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A pretty good collection of short stories and poems from a wide variety of writers. This is definitely one of the better collections adding to Chamber's Universe featuring the King in Yellow and Carcosa.

Rather bizarrely, it includes two stories by John Scott Tynes, "Ambrose" and "Broadalbin" but not the third one in the trilogy, "Sosotris", which is frustrating because I should like to have read "Sosotris".
Ian Casey
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
(This Goodreads page could use some work. Mental note to self: fix this one up if I get Librarian status.)

This is the second King in Yellow-themed anthology I’ve read, with the other being 'In the Court of the Yellow King'. Yes, I know ‘A Season in Carcosa’ is the famous one. I will take it off my shelf and read it one day, I promise. Though I have at least read its introduction which happens to name-drop this volume ‘Rehearsals for Oblivion: Act One’.

The reason for that name-dropping was its in
Gaze Santos
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I first heard about this book through the introduction in "A Season in Carcosa" (the more popular KiY anthology edited by rising star writer Joseph S. Pulver Sr). Granted, when compared to "Seasons," the stories in this collection are not as instantly memorable, shocking, or even as modern. But the stories that do reside in this collection feel more true to the original aesthetic of the King in Yellow, as originally envisioned by Robert Chambers. Robert Chambers did not rely in gore and viscera ...more
Traa
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is composed of a variety of settings and different takes on the King in Yellow mythos, which I was familiar with before reading. If you haven't heard of the King in Yellow before reading this book, you would probably still enjoy the stories just as much and would likely piece together most of the commonly accepted aspects of the mythos based on what is common between the each story. There are a few nods to earlier works which are fun, but not essential to enjoying the stories.

Consider
Dominique Lamssies
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rehearsals For Oblivion is a little known collection set in a world where The King In Yellow (a fictional play created by turn of the century writer R.W. Chambers) lurks under the surface to corrupt the world.

This book is a well chosen collection of views from all over the world about the infamous play and how it has affected people's lives. There's a wide variety of settings and people involved in the stories, and even references to other works of Chambers.

There are a couple stories that I'm no
Jake
Aug 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Some stories were better than others. Some just try too hard to mimic the classic Chambers collection, others just flat-out weren't very good. Most of the stories, however, were pretty solid if not spectacular. There is even one that centers around Sherlock Holmes! I was satisfied with the book, though if I re-read it at some point there are some stories I would almost certainly skip over.
John Goodrich
Aug 03, 2016
Will
May 12, 2014
j rees
rated it did not like it
Dec 16, 2015