Start by marking “Maiden and the Monster” as Want to Read:
Maiden and the Monster

Maiden and the Monster

Winner of the 2006 RT Reviewer's Choice Award!
Medieval Historical Romance
Long Novel

Vladamir of Kessen, Duke of Lakeshire Castle, is feared as a demon in the land of Wessex. The Kings have granted him a title of nobility in exchange for his part as a political prisoner. Discontent, he bides his time in his new home until war will once again rip through the land. But boredom
Published July 10th 2012 by The Raven Books (first published April 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Maiden and the Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maiden and the Monster

The Gentlemen's Club by Emmanuelle de MaupassantSimply Sexual by Kate PearceThe Regency, London Lusts by Charlie  B.In Too Deep by Anita PhilmarThe Regency men women and lust by Charlie  B.
Historical Erotica
225 books — 190 voters
His Wicked Kiss by Gaelen FoleyChristmas on the Children's Ward by Carol MarinelliAngel Slayer by Michele HaufEnslave Me Sweetly by Gena ShowalterHow to Marry a Royal Highlander by Vanessa Kelly
"Eden"
168 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Maiden and the Monster
Betsi Bjoraker
Jun 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
Sometimes, I binge on shitty romance. "Trashy" implies, to me, some kind of redeeming quality; it's mostly terrible, sure, but the characters are a little likeable, or the romance is sweetly stupid, or maybe the action is hot enough to outweigh the rest. That's trashy. Trashy isn't really my thing. Shitty, now...shitty romance novels are another level entirely. And my god, is this novel shitty.

Vladamir ("the Monster" of the title) is something of a political prisoner in England, and he has a
Jill Dunlop
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lady Eden unconscious after being severely beaten and smelling of pig manure is left to die just outside the Duke of Lakeshire's castle. He mistakenly believes the bundle of fowl smelling furs is just that, but his servant discovers that the pile is actually a woman who is barely alive. Vladamir against his will at the insistence of his servant and friend Ulric, places the woman in Ulric's care to recover. However, after Eden is cleaned up and the swelling in her face lessons he realizes how ...more
Kari Kaz
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mediev-viking
This book was a surprise because I was expecting sweet and it's much spicier than I would've thought for a medieval romance. It was a good surprise because I enjoyed the story.

Vladimir was pretty awful, or that's what we were meant to think. Eden was a great heroine. She was mistreated before meeting Vladimir, which is probably true to the time period, but despite the abuse she remains quite strong. Vlad, who is called "monster" is taken by her but he's also insecure. I really wanted them to
Netanella
Nov 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-medieval
3.5 stars, actually!

Methought I picked up a paranormal romance, and got an over-the-top medieval instead, complete with dramatic dialogue and grand gestures, just like watching a Spanish soap opera on Telemundo. Our heroine, Eden, is the beauty of beauties, it is not enough that she arrives at the monster's keep beaten and broken - nay, she must be covered in dead animal entrails as well. Our monster, Vladamir, is the baddest of the bad - he snarls, he wears black on black, and grunts "Arggh!"
Gaele
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, audio-book
AudioBook Review
Stars Overall 5 Narration 5 Story 5

Vladimir is depressed and cranky, and takes no little pleasure in the fact that many of the castles servants and visitors are afraid of him: the differences in his speech, dress and rather imperious bearing combined with his hair-trigger temper are his weaponry against his involvement in life and the pleasure it could bring. Widowed some 6 years earlier, he has no patience for the gods of his own childhood or those of the new Christian religion
Dawn
The beginning was slow, with clique dialouge and a lot of unjustifyable actions on the two main characters part. I almost stopped reading it. I did not however. And I am glad I didn't. As the book progressed the characters became fuller as the author did a good job of explaining the motives and reasoning behnd their actions. The dialouge also became less clique. All in all it was a well thought out story with good conflict. I ended up loving both characters especially for their flaws. Definately ...more
Debbie "Buried in Her TBR Pile"
Beauty and the Beast tale with a medieval setting. (view spoiler) This is fairytale erotica so while Eden (h) is innocent, she quickly accepts, enjoys, and explores anything Vlad does/initiates during their encounters. This one lacked depth for me - but it is a light fairytale retelling so I considered this in my rating and review. It was ok for me. 2.5 rounded ...more
Ashley (Red-Haired Ash Reads)
DNF 12%

I listened to this book with Author's Direct.

I'm sad to say that this book wasn't for me. I wasn't really enjoying the writing style. It felt messy in places and inconsistent. I also wasn't connecting to the characters. I couldn't picture them together nor was I enjoying their relationship.

So I'm sad to say this book wasn't for me but I will continue reading Ms. Pillow work because I do enjoy her stories, just not this one.
Daneesha
This book had potential. I'm not saying it wasn't good, but it could have been better.

So Vladamir is a duke, a foreigner in this land due to a peace treaty. He and his servants find an unconscious girl out front. Eden's been beaten badly. They take her in, albeit reluctantly, and find out she is the daughter of Vladamir's enemy. Perfect!

I liked the crusty hero who cultivated his reputation as a monster. Sometimes, his behavior was a mystery. I didn't like the heroine as much.

There was too much
Kat W
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
I wanted to try a beauty and the beast story and this one definitely made it clear who was Beauty and who was Beast. Unfortunately, I'm not much for constant "bed" scenes and to be honest, some of them surprised my conservative side and my practical side. Sad to say, reading through them made me sleepy, too. For people who prefer a focus on the less physical side of a romance story, this tale may not be very palatable. I wasn't expecting the story to dwell so much on the lust (yes, I am naive), ...more
Poet Gentleness
Jun 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
I loved Michelle Pillow 'The Dragon Lords' and 'Lords of Var' series . They are, in my opinion, either 4 or 5 star books. They are well written, makes us laugh a few times, have a good pace, they have sex, love story and action. At long last, they are good books to spend your free time with. BUT this one... I don't recommend. The characters are not well built, the pace is too quickly. How does the heroine fall in love with the monster eludes me. They don't even have time to built a small ...more
Lyndi W.
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-star
My biggest issue with this one was with the stupidity of the characters. Both the hero and heroine were painfully clueless. Your wife is upset and thinks you despise her, but you have no idea how to tell her you adore her? Hmm, I dunno... maybe you should just say so, you fucking moron. Every other page was a Big Misunderstanding because Eden was pathetically naive and Vlad was horribly introverted. Neither of them actually saying what they think or feel, allowing the other to jump to outrageous ...more
Gilgamesha
May 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book frustrated me beyond words. The constant mistreatment of the h by H was tiresome. I mean how many times did she have to prove herself?? The intimate scenes were a bit too much for me so I ended skimming through alot of pages. The only redeeming quality of this book was the heroine was kind, passionate, witty, and at times unintentionally hilarious. I loved the scene where she proudly announces 14 times lol.
Catina
Ehh... I bought this based off of reviews on Amazon.com - The cover was really cheesy, the story had a good premise, but was very strained in some sections. I believe the male character was very well portrayed. Lots of sexual tension between the two characters, but very unbelievable in some parts.
Dinjolina
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG, I have NEVER seen a more WRONG male model for a HR cover.
Alexis Franco
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. In the middle of reading it, I thought I knew what was going to happen next. Boy was I wrong. It kept me on my toes. I could not put it down.
Abigail Young
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic. There were parts where I laughed, smiled, and cried. The end is beautiful. The story is written masterfully. I hope Ms. Pillow has more books like this.
Rgreader
a bit of a hot mess due to silly misunderstandings
JodyL
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
At first I thought that this would be a paranormal book but it totally isn't. This is more of a historical romance that has elements of mystery, tragedy, love and redemption.
Vladimir is scarred and feeds into the image that he is a monster so that everyone will leave him alone. He had a tragic first marriage and wants nothing to do with women again. But when the daughter of his most hated enemy arrives after being beaten and left for dead, he figures that he can get his revenge. He holds the
Monica
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I did enjoy this book. I don't read many historical romances but I am glad I read this one. Eden escapes one Monster to be thrust into the arms of another or maybe not. Eden is left for dead at Duke Vladamir's castle. After Eden recovers she asks Vladamir to save her. As peace rains at this time against the Vikings, war could start with this relationship. There are lots of secrets that both have to get through. Love will prevail though at one time it didn't seem like it would. There is some very ...more
Patti Womack
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book

I read the reviews before I bought the book and they were mixed good and bad. I am so glad that I ignored the bad ones, for this was an awesome read. It has everything you would want in an action packed love story. Michelle, you are a great writer and I have read a number of your books. This one is a MUST read for anyone who likes romance books. Great story.
Gina
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
medieval spin on beauty and the beast. Though the beast is not homely, his reputation of being unforgiven is. The lady he rescues he wants nothing to do with but he married her to seek revenge. He ends up redeeming himself even though he was beastly in the beginning.
Karen Price
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Diane Pope
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
14 times?

This book was exciting! From beginning to end and what an ending, this book did not disappoint. Vladimir and Eden were perfectly matched. The story had a wonderful mixture of romance and intrigue.
Katrina
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really liked this book. Loved all the twists and mystery.
Zara West
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romances, fantasy
Great tension and interplay of characters to keep you turning the pages
Chanda Cathey
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not and sexy

Love the book, I enjoyed every steamy part. She is a good story teller. I definitely will read her other books.
Literati Literature Lovers
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

The Maiden and the Monster is a medieval historical romance by Michelle M. Pillow. The setting is the late ninth century is Wessex, the Isle of Britain is divided between the Danelaw and the Anglo-Saxons, so the Vikings under King Guthrum and the Saxons under Alfred the Great during this story have  a tentative peace, after the Battle of Edington.  As was the custom of the victor, King Guthrum sent nobles to be held as hostages by King Alfred, those Viking nobles, were given Saxon
BleuBelle
May 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Warning: could contain spilers

I love Beauty and the Beast stories, so this book was waiting just for me to pick it up. And I did. I read it in one go (even if I really should be doing other things right now).

This book was an ok read for me. I didn't hate it, didn't love it and I'm pretty sure I will forget about it soon. It didn't left an lasting impression.

I loved the story line. It wasn't anything brand-new, but thats all right, because today nothing really is. Vladamir was an intriguing
Linda
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
Will she survive it? I told his lordship she would. I didnt want to give him an excuse not to help her. Methinks that if he suspected she was near death, he would turn her out.

I dont know. Methinks it depends on her will to live. If she doesnt want life, shell die. Haldana sighed. Ill stay with her and watch over her. Please, direct the girls to take over my duties.

Yea. Tis already done. Ulric narrowed his eyes in heavy contemplation, drawing back the coverlet at the girls bruised throat. His
« previous 1 3 next »

• Wed By Proxy (Brides of Karadok #1)
  • His Forsaken Bride (Vawdrey Brothers, #2)
  • An Ill-Made Match (Vawdrey Brothers, #3)
  • Her Bastard Bridegroom (Vawdrey Brothers, #1)
  • The Devil's Lady (de Laci, #1)
  • Promise of Darkness (Dark Court Rising, #1)
  • The Beast of Beswick (Everleigh Sisters, #1)
  • The Laird's Bastard Daughter (The Highland Warlord Series Book 1)
  • Deceit (Beastly Tales, #2)
  • The Outlaw's Bride (The Brides of Skye #2)
  • Black Richard's Heart
  • My Darling Duke (Sinful Wallflowers, #1)
  • The Cruel Fae King (The Cursed Kingdoms #1)
  • The Bookseller and the Earl (Merry Misfits of Bath #1)
  • Wicked in His Arms (Wedded by Scandal, #2)
  • Lady in Waiting (Reluctant Brides #1)
  • The Work of Art
  • The Commander's Captive (House Of Kaimar, #1)
New York Times & USA Today Bestselling Author of Romances, Cozy Mysteries, and PWF (Paranormal Women's Fiction)
www.MichellePillow.com

Michelle loves to travel and try new things, whether it's a paranormal investigation of an old Vaudeville Theatre or climbing Mayan temples in Belize. She believes life is an adventure fueled by copious amounts of coffee.

Newly relocated to the American South,

News & Interviews

“Ulric rushed forward to the pile as soon as the spikes were out of his way. The seneschal’s wider frame lumbered with the effort it took him to kneel and he grunted under the strain. Swiping the sleeve of his brown tunic across his forehead, Ulric placed his arm before his nose as he leaned closer to the pelts.
Impatient, Vladamir watched Ulric pick through the skins. He followed silently behind, refusing to sheath his sword. The seneschal sat straight up in surprise.
“M’lord, it would appear to be a maiden amongst these pelts. Methinks I see the entrails of a rabbit in her hair,” Ulric yelled through the sleeve of his tunic.”
0 likes
“A maiden? Out here? And scented with festering carcasses?” Vladamir searched the forest that surrounded his castle. The hum of insects was quite clear on the morning air, and he noticed that the red bristled pigs grazing just beyond his walls were undisturbed. Nor could he detect movement within the barren limbs of the trees. Finally satisfied that the girl was alone, he turned his attention back to Ulric. He refused to show any interest in the maiden.
“Wake her and send her on her way.” He kept his voice passionless and made no effort to help the woman. “If she is dead, burn her, for I won’t tolerate that wretched smell in my bailey.”
“Should we not try to find out who she is first? Mayhap there are those who search fer her even now. Would you deny her kinsmen a proper burial?” Ulric protested quietly.
“Do as I command!” Vladamir insisted in a low growl. Even as he did so, he saw the knights that manned the wall look over the girl with curious stares. He heard their whispering as it drifted down, though he couldn’t make out their hasty words. He didn’t need to. The woman was more than likely a Saxon wench and they would wish to know whom, for none in the manor were missing. If she was dead, there was nothing he could do for her. He didn’t need this headache. His life was stressed enough.”
0 likes