Start by marking “Living with the Dominator” as Want to Read:
Living with the Dominator

Living with the Dominator

This book explains violent and abusive behaviour and places it in a social context. It can help readers of any age and sexual orientation to change their own behaviour and to recognise when they are being controlled. "I can honestly say that without reading this book (9 times no less !) I don't think that I would be here today, relaxed in my own home with my children that ...more
Published May 3rd 2008 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published March 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Living with the Dominator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living with the Dominator

Jane
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work-related
This book is a very insightful look at Domestic Abuse, Perpetrators and their victims. I am fortunate enough to have never experienced abuse but this book opened my eyes to the signs in another person. This book will be of great support to me in my job. This book should be a mandatory read for all young people as it teaches what a healthy relationship should look like!!! Spend the couple of hours to read this book, your eyes will be well and truly opened.
Ruth
Feb 28, 2016 added it
I wish that I had been given a copy of this book in my teens. As it is, I've been in relationships with all the different abusers described here. The warning signs chapter is particularly useful, as often these are the little things we let pass, but which can indicate bigger problems to come.
Colin Mackay
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
This book was recommended to me by a friend who had been in an abusive relationship. It gave them the inner strength to recognise all the tell tale signs, and to have the courage to make a full break from the relationship. Although it is written mainly for the female audience, I have found that its contents can equally apply to men who find themselves in abusive and harmful relationships. The book is short enough that it can be read in one sitting if desired, but the greater benefit to the reade ...more
Michelle
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book should really be given to high school students, both male and female as I believe the dominator's tendencies can cover both sexes.So informative and makes sense of the most bizarre behaviour by breaking it up into sections.Also where these behaviours come from.A good accompaniment to the freedom group too.
Phoebe
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book with the potential to save lives. 'Living with the Dominator' is concise but insightful, accessible to anyone who wants to learn more about toxic relationships, and grounded in Craven's experiences as a probation officer. Should be available in every library, perhaps even set reading in social studies classes at school. In an ideal world it would be required reading for any professional who deals with domestic violence as part of their job, from police officers to social workers.
Rosanna Holden
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommend by sons councilor

This book has put the past 12years in to context, I feel that I have been so story but so weak!
This book is more than a book, it’s therapy!
I think even if you haven’t been through anything like it you could relate to it and would helpful in future, amazing work
Holly
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
Strong premise and I can definitely imagine this helping to identify signs of an abusive relationship. Unfortunately, much of the book seems like a list of rather specific anecdotes with limited reference to the psychology of the "man" and how it affects his actions.
Prosocial Decisions
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book, such a great read great perspective. Good for work environment for knowing how to tread carefully with vulnerable clients and Very good for social learning and being able to empathise with others and to forewarn young adolescents in relationships
Swati Prakash
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exactly as d

A must read for every person involved in court, police, social care or any support services for victims of domestic abuse and especially for all women early on in life.
Nathalie
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is very clear, great- can also apply to teens, former flat/house mates, frenemies & would be helpful if bilingual/translated as well.. if you like happy to assist with translating thanks
Zelda Elizabeth
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love the freedom programme it really helped me understand and process what id been through! amazing book to help detect signs of a perpatrator of domestic violence.
Zelda Elizabeth Gomez
Asia
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Been there

The book points clearly at the early signs of abuse. Shame it doesn't give you ideas how to deal with abusive partners.
Kimberley
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read this book for work purposes in preparation of facilitating Pat Craven's course. Very informative for professionals and the public alike.
Kelly
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book discussing domestic violence in relationships, but can apply to any relationship. Good enough to own.
Hazel Lowe
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Mugging the Muse
  • Mystic: The Tenth Apprentice
  • A Man Like Mac
  • Chicks and Balances (Chicks in Chainmail, #6)
  • Buddhism for Mothers of Schoolchildren: Finding Calm in the Chaos of the School Years
  • closets.
  • Briarpatch
  • Defending The Guilty: Truth And Lies In The Criminal Courtroom
  • Dark Sleeper (Western Lights, #1)
  • Be Like Water: Practical Wisdom from the Martial Arts
  • T-Minus Two
  • The Unknown
  • Singing With All My Skin and Bone
  • Stoner McTavish (Stoner McTavish Mysteries, #1)
  • Moving Zen: One Mans Journey to the Heart of Karate
  • Visions of the Cailleach: The Myths, Stories and History of the British / Celtic Earth Shaping Crone Goddess of Winter
  • Disturbed by Her Song