Start by marking “1001 Foods To Die For” as Want to Read:
1001 Foods To Die For

1001 Foods To Die For

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  25 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Every epicure seeks the very best-of-the-best foods the world has to offer, from extra-virgin olive oil and artisanal cheeses to rich, dark chocolate. 1,001 Foods To Die For is an essential list for food lovers, featuring luscious photographs and descriptions of must-eat foods from soup to nuts and from all over the world. This food bible includes everything from simple cl ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about 1001 Foods To Die For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1001 Foods To Die For

Katherine
Dec 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Where to begin?!

Let's start with the title. "1001 Foods to Die For" - whoa! Alright, guacamole is pretty awesome, so is mac & cheese, tortierre, and bulgogi, but here are some foods in this book I would under no circumstances DIE for:
- Cottage cheese
- Waldorf salad
- Spotted dick
- Creamed spinach or mushy peas
- Any salad, really. I don't care how great it is.

Why wasn't it titled something more like "Delicious Dishes from Around the Globe?" Each item featured notes what country it's from, alt
Tamara
Mar 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
I have a slightly morbid interest in the "1001...die..." series of books. 1001 books to read before you die, 1000 places to see before you die, 1001 albums you must hear before you die...You get the picture.

Well, if I ate everything in this book, I probably would die. But I wanted to. At least the vegetarian things. The fish heads and other squeamish squid-like things were too much for me. But all of the profiles of the different ethnic foods were really interesting. I especially liked the way
Chris Webber
Oct 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
This book gets a 5 for several reasons.

1. Book layout and illustrations. Each recipe has a picture and a description of the dish. I essentially drooled my way through the pages of this book.

2. It has an international section which covers everything from Egypt to India to Greece to China and covers remote areas and cuisines. So an interested cook can sample different cuisines all from the same book.

And did I mention the pictures were marvelous?
John Hinton
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
There is still one or two dishes that I haven't tried from this book, but I do have a pigeon in my freezer for making a pigeon pie, which may complete the list for me. There are a few dishes that I should have made the list, like escamole and South American guinea pig, but it is a very well thought out list in general.
Kerri
Apr 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Sort of 1/3 cookbook, 2/3 "Top 1,001" list. I was hoping for more obscure stuff, but there are some good description of things you might be curious about and some not-very-accurate descriptions of other things that hints at some wikipedia-style research. Overall, though, a fun book to flip through, and a good book to inspire your imagination when your menu's become a bit repetitive.
Erika
Jun 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
I thought there would be more recipes, but mostly it was just sort of a picture dictionary. And I read it while I was very hungry with no food in the house, so it also made me mad. Not the book's fault, I'm just sayin.
Bonnie