Start by marking “How I Gave Up My Low-Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds..and How You Can Too: The Ultimate Guide to Low-Carbohydrate Dieting” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  190 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
This is a breezy, chatty, non-technical, fun-to-read explanation of low carbohydrate dieting -- why it works, the surprising health benefits, and most importantly, how to "do" the diet. Or, rather, diets,since the book details three very different main approaches to controlling carbohydrates (including the Basic Low Carb Diet, similar to Atkins or Protein Power, and the Mi ...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Fair Winds Press (first published September 1st 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about How I Gave Up My Low-Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds..and How You Can Too

Kim
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Generally speaking, I enjoyed this book. It is a very enthusiastic, occasionally simplistic book about the low-carb lifestyle, with a style that is sometimes a little grating, sometimes helpfully cheerleaderish. It uses lots of exclamation points. It's a tad out of date on the subject of ephedra, but I get the impression that it is updated regularly, so that should be fixed eventually. It is written from a very personal perspective, but also presents the science in an extremely reader-friendly w ...more
Gremily
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
I've never touted a diet book before, but I highly recommend this book not only for the laughs, but also for some of the hard science and facts. It may be a bit hard not to think of it as a fad diet book, but with all her statistics and research, it's hard to deny that medical science has been going about healthy eating in the wrong direction for at least half of our population (think evolution and body type). Carpender explains several of the current low-carb diets and the pros and cons of each ...more
Wanda
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dana Carpender preaches low carb with an evangelical zeal in How I Gave Up...and... You Can Too. I found her overview of the three general low carb plans and their variances very informative. The book is written in straightforward terms and the testimonials from Dana and some of her low carb converts give it a conversational feel. The book also includes chapters on supplements, indulgences, plateaus, and exercise plus loads of resources in the appendix. If you're on the fence about reading this, ...more
Valerie
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in better health and/or weight loss.
Recommended to Valerie by: Umm...a link on Amazon.com.
This is a non-technical book on living a low-carb lifestyle written in a fun, conversational style. It includes an overview of the three main low-carb diet plans, with the pros and cons of each plan. It also outlines the basic low-carb principles that tie all the plans together.

I consider myself fairly well-read on the subject of nutrition, and I found this book both entertaining and educational.
Dianne
Aug 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: doubters and naysayers
Shelves: food
I love this book - my only beef with it is that Carpender doesn't site her sources in anywhere near enough detail. This is too bad, because there have been many, many times when I've wanted to use some of her arguments to face down the Low-Fat Anti-Atkins Food Fascists, but felt that I'd be laughed down because Carpender by her own admission is a layperson. If only she'd cited her sources!
Francisca
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving it 4* because it convinced me to try it but it disappointed me that it didn't had a plan or recipes, (i realize that it was not advertised as having but i expected to and think that it could benefit with it).
All and all it really makes very strong arguments for a new approach to carbs and i related to much the information (thus being convinced to change my eating habits).

Justin
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this quite a bit. It was a good companion to Gary Taubes “Why We Get Fat.” This was much more practical and action based. I got a ton from reading this and have lots of highlights to refer to later.
Mark
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that got it started for me. Dana's writing style hooked me at the beginning and never let me go. I lost ~20 in a very short period of time because she made it so easy to get started and keep with it.
Geraldine Robinson
Well written great information.

very interesting facts will use as reference. I want to read again and highlight. I would recommend this book even if not needing to lose weight because there is much health information good for all.
Catie Shaw
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Carpender has a wonderfully personable and easy-to-read tone throughout the book. If you want the hard science, read Gary Taubes, if you want a mix of the science and a little bit of entertainment with your low-carbing, this is the book for you.
Roland
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
very good
Carole Parma
Very helpful. Along with Diana Schwarbein's books, you have the truth about how to lose weight and be healthier.
dragonsdy
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very informative. She explains the main reasons low carb eating can work. She also goes over the major low carb diets and their pros and cons. Will keep as a resource for my diet.
Robin
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good book...I like how Dana relates her own experience, but also shows you different plans that will work best for your own needs. She has a very easygoing writing style.
Cindy Thompson
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome information

I chose 5 stars because the information in this book is great. All these low fat diets in one place.
Sandie
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A must read!
Lj
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
good info on low carbing. I think I will check out her recipe books.

Joe Lucas
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
A easy read with a lot of information. I enjoyed the comparisons between different variations of low carb diets
Sandy  Kemp
Jun 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Matrevolutionen : ät dig frisk med riktig mat
  • The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss
  • How to Publish and Sell Your Article on the Kindle (and Nook!): 12 Tips for Short Documents
  • Fleeting Passions (Forbidden Passions, #3)
  • Stupid Things Parents Do to Mess Up Their Kids
  • Duty Bound (Bound and Tied, #2)
  • Her Commander (Orion, #2)
  • The Creation of Health: The Emotional, Psychological, and Spiritual Responses That Promote Health and Healing
  • The Spy Who Loved Her (Once Upon an Accident, #3)
  • Icy Heat (Heat Series)
  • Teen-Proofing: Fostering Responsible Decision Making in Your Teenager
  • The Devil and Preston Black (Murder Ballads and Whiskey)
  • SoloPlay (Come Again, #2)
  • One Word That Will Change Your Life
  • The 8 Hour Diet
  • The Belly Fat Cure: No Dieting with the NEW Sugar/Carb Approved Foods
  • Blindsight (Mirus, #1.3)
  • How I Sold 1 Million eBooks in 5 Months
91977
Dana Carpender started her writing career as a self-published author. In 1995, after years of creative low fat cooking featuring whole grains and other “healthy” carbohydrates, and despite five step aerobics classes per week, she found herself a size 20, and gaining! Worse, her blood pressure was rising, and she was left dragging by energy swings. Dropping carbs long before it was fashionable, Car ...more
More about Dana Carpender...
“I've gotten to the point where I'm not even a little apologetic about this business of not eating stuff that's bad for me. No one else has to live with my fat, work through my energy and mood swings, pay my doctor bills, fight my cravings, for face my family history of diabetes and cancer. If people insist, I can get a little testy.” 0 likes