Start by marking “The Indian Sign (Milan Jacovich, #11)” as Want to Read:
The Indian Sign (Milan Jacovich, #11)

The Indian Sign (Milan Jacovich #11)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  147 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
#11 in the Milan Jacovich mystery series . . .

Veteran private eye Milan Jacovich (it's pronounced MY-lan YOCK-ovitch) is rarely surprised. But his attention is grabbed one day by a Native American man wearing traditional clothing and waist-length, iron gray braids, sitting across the street from his suburban Cleveland apartment for twelve hours in a driving snowstorm.

When
Published March 1st 2006 by Gray & Company Publishers (first published June 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Indian Sign, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Indian Sign

Daniel Bell
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
It took me a while, but Milan Jakovich grew on me. I love the character. He's a twist on the classic hard-boiled private eye, but with a bit more heart. He's more vulnerable, too, but that doesn't make him soft.

I finally got to read a novel all the way through without rolling my eyes at the over-writing, implausible plot or too self-conscious characters. Good stuff, Les. I'll be reading more.
Marian
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
His best yet, good descriptions - I could feel that February Cleveland cold. I read very few mysteries, I read this one because it is set in Cleveland & I have met Les Roberts.
Cheryl
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another masterful read. Private investigator Milan Jacovich conflicts his morals against a paycheck and prevails as we have come to expect him to. Fighting against greed forsaking safety and the future of a newborn boy, Milan calls in the reserves and tallies up the wins. While he does lose one personal accomplishment (the woman) he gains more. And, nary a scratch to himself. The bodies do pile up around him, with regret, but in the end, there is a rightness in Cleveland again.
James
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Alternately depressing and entertaining. The Cleveland scenery makes the books, though I'd love less brooding and more detective work....
Cornerofmadness
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
The Indian Sign by Les Roberts

It’s one of the Milan Jacovich mystery series. My first. My last, most likely. It was sort of a blast to read about all the sights in Cleveland. I used to hang out in the area Milan works and lives when I went to med. School but frankly this wasn’t worth the trip down memory lane.

Milan is a private eye and a PI cliché. That was my biggest problem with this whole novel. Everything is a cliché or cardboard cutout of every other story/idea in the genre. Milan is Slovia
Mark Feltskog
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Memo to Les Roberts' publishers: you have a fine writer in Mr. Roberts, and you issue, in handsome and sturdy trade paperback editions (I originally read some of these titles in St. Martin's Press mass market paperbacks, so I definitely think you make nicer books), what appears to be his entire list. Why not invest what I imagine is a relatively modest sum in better proofreading and copy editing?

As I said previously, I admire this series, and this novel is one of the high points so far.
Chowhound88 (a.k.a. Ralph)
Nov 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was another great book by Les Roberts.
Lisa
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of series about private investigators
Shelves: read-2008
Loved it, now I have to read the rest of the series.
Chi Dubinski
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it
A private eye in Cleveland accepts a paying client, but spends more time trying to discover who killed the Native American man who was sitting on a bench across the street.
Jana Denardo
Aug 20, 2011 rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish it. The characters were drawn in broad, occasionally offensive, stereotypes and the lead was straight out of the macho man PI cookie cutter.
Apr 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Typical Les Roberts book, but it kept me interested until the end. Better than some of his other books... not quite so predictable.
Teresa
Ken Caldwell
Nov 11, 2015
Casey Hickman
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
another good mystery novel based in Cleveland
Walt Lynch
Jan 22, 2018
Wendy Jaehnig
Feb 05, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Les Roberts is the author of 15 mystery novels featuring Cleveland detective Milan Jacovich, as well as 9 other books of fiction. The past president of both the Private Eye Writers of America and the American Crime Writer's League, he came to mystery writing after a 24-year career in Hollywood. He was the first producer and head writer of the Hollywood Squares and wrote for the Andy Griffith Show, ...more
More about Les Roberts...

Milan Jacovich (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Pepper Pike (Milan Jacovich, #1)
  • Full Cleveland (Milan Jacovich, #2)
  • Deep Shaker (Milan Jacovich, #3)
  • The Cleveland Connection (Milan Jacovich, #4)
  • The Lake Effect (Milan Jacovich, #5)
  • The Duke Of Cleveland (Milan Jacovich, #6)
  • Collision Bend (Milan Jacovich, #7)
  • The Cleveland Local (Milan Jacovich, #8)
  • A Shoot in Cleveland (Milan Jacovich, #9)
  • The Best-Kept Secret (Milan Jacovich, #10)