Start by marking “One Perfect Life: The Complete Story of the Lord Jesus” as Want to Read:
One Perfect Life: The Complete Story of the Lord Jesus

One Perfect Life: The Complete Story of the Lord Jesus

Read the best news the world has ever been given about the most significant life in all history—Jesus Christ. In One Perfect Life, Dr. John MacArthur shares with us the complete story of the Eternal Christ from Genesis to Revelation. Using Matthew as the base text, Dr. MacArthur blends the gospels and other biblical material about Jesus into one continuous story that will ...more
Published March 4th 2013 by Thomas Nelson (first published February 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about One Perfect Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Perfect Life

Rod
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bible
Every Christian should be forced to read this book. (In a loving way of course: with a hot chocolate and bowl of popcorn.)

Simply, MacArthur took all of the bits in the Bible that refer to Jesus and made one story out of them. Couldn't have done it better myself. Actually i would still be trying to come up with a cool cover like he did.

Many people may not know that Jesus is featured throughout the entire Bible; Old and New Testament. From prophecies to appearances to the meaning of all existence.
David Harris
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One Perfect Life is a Bible. It is is a sort of combination of a harmony of the gospels and a chronological Bible.

Unlike a chronological Bible, it is just focused on Christ. Matthew, Mark. Luke and John are there, plus primary Old Testament passages that point us to the Lord Jesus (creation, fall, messianic prophecies, etc) and explanations of the significance of those events from the Epistles.

Unlike a harmony of the gospels, it is not a a parallel reading, but a narrative reading that combines
Rachel Menke
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
This book is a harmony of all that the Bible has to say about Jesus. Since Jesus primarily appears in the four Gospels the majority of the book walks the reader through the earthly life of Christ in chronological order by reading the events of his earthly ministry in a unified text (taking all the texts on that event from all the Gospels and combining them together in a cohesive unit).
However, as helpful as those sections were, the real win on this book for me were the harmonies of the non-gosp
Charlie
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This was completely different from any other book I've read by the author. This is the story of Christ, not in a narrative style with scripture verses for support. It takes all 4 Gospels and places the scripture in chronological order using JUST scripture. He includes the prophecies of Christ in the Old Testament. There are 11 sections each with sub chapters and at the end of each section JM has his study notes for all chapters in that section. After all 11 sections there is the complete Ne ...more
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you do not want to read the Bible cover to cover, this book takes what is most important from the Bible And puts in bite size pieces so that you learn who Jesus is, what He did, and why we need Him in our lives.
Jeff Diederiks
Unique, Fresh View of The Gospels

The first 20% of this book shows the Gospel accounts tremendously blended together in chronological order. All the words are scripture minus very, very few connecting words. The value comes from the fresh view of books I've read many times.
Rick
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a harmony of the Gospels in novel form; easy to read and quite enjoyable.
Jason Reed
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Have not finished fully, but plan to over time. Rich, deep, and exhaustive teaching.
Rod Innis
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books. It takes the four gospels and puts them together
as one complete story.
Anna Marie
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic compilation of the gospels
Adrienne
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
Immediately re-reading and much recommended!
Michael Boling
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Noted pastor, author and speaker Dr. John MacArthur, in his latest book One Perfect Life: The Complete Story of the Lord Jesus provides what can rightly be described as a harmony of the gospels on steroids. Unlike other harmony of the gospel texts such as by scholars such as A. T. Robertson or Stanley Gundry that merely present a side by side comparison of similar gospel texts, MacArthur provides that same approach while also including pertinent Old Testament prophetic texts as they relate to th ...more
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One Perfect Life is a 'Harmony of the Gospels' type of compilation. MacArthur notes in his introduction that, "The Holy Spirit gave us four Gospels and, specifically, three of them are synoptic …so that the truth concerning our Lord and Savior might be established on the basis of two or three witnesses." Using Matthew as a base text, MacArthur uses these four witnesses to piece together their complete picture of the life of Christ. Instead of putting the Gospels in parallel columns, the accounts ...more
Kristin Bush
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you ever wanted a blended version of the gospel. Then this is the book for you. John MacArthur blends all four gospels together to tell a poignant story of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. It also takes different accounts from the Old Testament (the prophecies of his impending birth and life). From this account of Jesus Christ’s life you can get everything you would get in the bible just all together in the same time-line. Plus there are verse by verse break down so that you, the reader, can ...more
TonyB
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think this is one of those rare books that I will keep and read again and again. Truly, I have a much better understanding of Jesus and his ministry. The knitting together of the gospel writers' accounts of His story unfold like a novel of Jesus' life that becomes a page turner of epic proportions. The footnotes help to educate the reader and should be read in parallel with the text. It's not often that I would write to an author and say thank you for your work. But, this one deserves high pra ...more
Becky
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The subtitle of One Perfect Life is, "The Complete Story of the Lord Jesus." And complete it is, compiling Scriptures from Genesis through Revelation in the New King James translation. There are eleven parts of the story divided into 215 readings. Each reading has a handful of MacArthur's study notes. So for those wanting to learn more, to understand more of the text, it's there.

The focus of the entire book is, of course, on Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, and on the gospel. The book not only r
Greg Miller
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
An amazingly dense project - I literally have no idea how one goes about compiling a book like this. MacArthur has combined the Gospels into one narrative, weaving the four accounts into one chronological presentation. Each individual story or event is labeled separately, with references to which portions of which Gospel accounts the information comes from, and phrases are labeled by source within the narrative. Additionally, there first few "chapters" and final segments add Old Testament and Ep ...more
joel
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A simple idea excellently executed.

The book is the chronological record of the life of Christ achieved by combining the gospel accounts and supplementing them with notes from MacArthur's study Bible. I used it as a devotional for more than a year, but, due to the way the book is organized, it would no doubt function as a useful reference volume or simply an enlightening read.

The book provides a fresh and stimulating approach to reading the Gospels without losing a single ounce of Biblical auth
Aaron
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
The concept of this book is wonderful and it is very well executed. An edition that omits the study notes would be nice. At times I found them helpful, but mostly I found them distracting.

The arrangement of the parallel passages gives the narrative of the Bible a good pace and compelling momentum. It really does drive the story along. I found the sections after Jesus's ascension to be a bit choppy, though. They are put together thematically, but the lack of transition between passages from diff
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I give this one four stars because I'm not sure i have a good standard by which to measure this one. The harmony is done well. The notes were extremely helpful. It was certainly a different approach to reading these texts. I don't really have reason not to give it five stars other than that I can't shake the inherent comparison of this harmony with the original texts themselves, which leads me to feel that somehow even though this book offers so many great things it is less great than the origin ...more
Lucy Galgano
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!!!

I have always wanted to read a Harmony of the Gospels and this book was the perfect choice. I used this solely as a daily devotional but plan to go back and use it as a study guide. John MacArthur has included detailed commentary with lots of Scripture to provide greater insight into the passage.

I was truly blown away with the inclusion of a Harmony of the New Testament! Again the commentary and Scripture references provide great opportunity for in-depth study.

This book is without ques
Lorna
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
When I bought this book, I thought it was about about the life of Jesus. It is straight Biblical text. A mash up of all four gospels so that Jesus' life is told in one continuous story. Once I realized that, I used it to continue my chronological read through the Bible. Since I had read the OT in the Message, the translation took a little to get used to. But otherwise, I definitely appreciated this book and the perspectives it gave me on Jesus' life and ministry.
Jon
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This may be one of the most amazing books I have ever read in my life. Me and my kids read a chapter a night and personally I loved every minute of it. Every believer should read this book. It will give you a picture of the life of Christ that makes him even more amazing and really clarifies his time on earth.

Well done Dr. MacArthur. I owe you more than you could possibly imagine.

Patrick Hamblin
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have used "A Harmony of the Gospels" in the past but "One Perfect Life" makes for a simple way of taking the gospel and reading it chronologically. This is helpful for both simply reading the gospels or as a resource when teaching.

Only thing that would make it better is if in ESV or NASB but that is clearly out of MacArthur's control.
Steve Parks
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderfully blended harmony of the life of Jesus Christ, as presented in the three synoptic gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke, and the gospel of John. MacArthur weaves the four accounts together into a cohesive, fluid story. There's plenty of study notes and Biblical cross- references, and the Kindle version of this book also contains the complete text of the New King James Bible.
Jennah
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
When I first started reading this book it threw me off because I was not expecting the whole book to be Scripture. John MacArthur used God's Word and broke it down for us to read just the story of Jesus Christ. He started from the beginning and ended the book with Christ's ascension to heaven after He rose from the grave. I really enjoyed reading "The Complete Story of the Lord Jesus."
John
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I cannot recommend this highly enough! If you want to read the greatest story ever told and gain a deeper understanding of the King in all his glory than read this. Completing this read has actually given me a more robust a millennialist eschatology. Soli Deo Gloria!
Jeffrey
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
JMAC's harmony of the Gospels. Wonderful companion when studying the Gospel accounts to see how they complement each other, yet show the distinctions the authors wanted to make in their particular accounts.
AlegnaB †
4.75 -- This was excellent. I do wish it had a scripture index, though. It would be nice to be able to look up a scripture reference in the back and find where it is used in the book and read any notes pertaining to it.
Marie
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Great bible study for those who have already read the bible but would like an in depth look at the ministry of Jesus.
Uses NKJV text.

• The Reformation: How a Monk and a Mallet Changed the World
  • John MacArthur: Servant of the Word and Flock
  • Welcome to a Reformed Church: A Guide for Pilgrims
  • Historical Theology: An Introduction to Christian Doctrine: A Companion to Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology
  • The Work of Christ: What the Events of Jesus' Life Mean for You
  • Pillars of Grace, AD 100–1564 (A Long Line of Godly Men, #2)
  • When God Intervenes: An Extraordinary Story of Faith, Hope, and the Power of Prayer
  • A Puritan Theology: Doctrine for Life
  • The Cradle, the Cross, and the Crown: An Introduction to the New Testament
  • Worldly Saints: The Puritans as They Really Were
  • Elijah: A Man of Heroism and Humility (Great Lives from God's Word, #5)
  • What Every Christian Needs to Know about the Qur'an
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • The Gospel Call and True Conversion (Recovering the Gospel)
  • Basic Bible Interpretation
  • Knowing Christ
  • The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, and Documented
  • Big Truths for Young Hearts: Teaching and Learning the Greatness of God
John F. MacArthur, Jr. is a United States Calvinistic evangelical writer and minister, noted for his radio program entitled Grace to You and as the editor of the Gold Medallion Book Award winning MacArthur Study Bible. MacArthur is a fifth-generation pastor, a popular author and conference speaker and has served as pastor-teacher of Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California since 1969, and ...more