Start by marking “Botanicaust” as Want to Read:
Botanicaust

Read Excerpt

Botanicaust (Botanicaust #1)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  256 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
The only crop left ... is human.

After genetically altered weeds devastate Earth's crop lands, Dr. Tula Macoby believes photosynthetic skin can save the human race, and her people single-mindedly embark on a mission to convert the cannibals roaming what's left of Earth. But when Levi, a peaceful stranger, refuses alteration, Tula doesn't think the only options should be con
Published August 5th 2012 by Tam Linsey (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Botanicaust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Botanicaust

Bark
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, audiobook
I read Botanicaust in its audiobook version and, to be honest, it took all of my concentration to get into it in the very beginning because the concepts described in this new world were so overwhelming foreign for me. I’m used to the more horrific side of the apocalypse but this one is pretty firmly steeped in the realm of science fiction.

An event coined the “Botanicaust” happened which basically wiped out all edible crops. Yeah. That’s no good. The survivors have morphed into a few different g
Midu Hadi
Jillyenator
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This story actually isn't about cannibalism. It's a little misleading to suggest that is a main point of the plot. It's more of a solid science fiction dystopian tale of various social groups, and how they get by after humanity destroys the ecosystem.

Some of the groups eat people. Some turned to photosynthesis. Some became, essentially, Amish...and some others have turned to science in a way I won't spoil here. :-)

I found the different societies and mores very interesting, and thought this was a
Melissa ♥ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf
I have not read many self published books this year, but I am so glad that I gave Tam Linsey’s Botanicaust a shot. The writing and editing are flawless…which sadly can’t be said for all self published books. Beyond that though…this is simply a fantastic story. The premise is incredibly unique and refreshing while still managing to fall within the currently very popular “Dystopian” umbrella. (I use the term Dystopian very lightly here as the term has grown beyond it’s true definition to encompass ...more
Lizbeth Selvig
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is haunting, beautiful, creative and unique. Tam Linsey has created an all-too-plausible future world where the Earth has been overrun and all-but-destroyed by an invasive, inedible plant species. Only scattered sects of the Old Order have managed to isolate themselves enough to have plentiful food. For most of the humans left to fend for life in the dangerous world, all that's available to them for food is each other. Cannibalism is the way of life in the open land.

One other group of
John
May 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked it up thinking it would be a cheesy so-bad-its-good sci fi read, but it turned out to be a good story. It is hard to come up with any truly original post apocalyptic story and certainly pieces of this world exist in other places, but they come together to make an engaging read.
Pavarti Tyler
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review, scifi
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book as a part of Tam Linsey’s book tour with Orangeberry Book Tours. No promise of a positive review was made.

Review: Everything about this book made me want to read it. From the cover to the description to the epically awesome concept. And I wasn’t disappointed!

This is a book with genetic manipulation and Amish set in a post apocalyptic world? Oh and the 9th word is CANNIBAL. It’s like it was written with me in mind. The main character, Tula, is an idealis
Carol Kean
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dystopia, apocalypse, hubris: just when I think I've seen it all, someone comes up with a fresh twist on familiar themes and archetypes. Botanicaust is thought provoking and intriguing; full of conflict, tension, sex appeal and longing. Humans genetically engineered for photosynthesis? It sounds ridiculous--cold-blooded reptiles, MAYBE, I could believe--but I love it!

The cover and the synopsis, along with the author bio, had me so excited, I bumped this novel to the top of my queue, even though
Leanne Herrera
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Well I certainly have a better understanding of the world after Botanicaust since reading the book and the short did indeed make much more sense once I got really into it. In this novel we follow Tula, a doctor that works with cannibals. She prepares them for conversion; if they fail to want or be appropriate for conversion to a plant-like person they are euthanized I do not think any of the factions involved in the plot are correct in the way they deal with life.

First you have the Halladanian-
Edward Hoornaert
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
With independently published books, you never know what you're going to get. With Botanicaust, you get a professional-level product all the way around. Professional presentation. Professional editing. Professional story. Professional writing. This book is a keeper, and I look forward to more from Tam Linsey. She's a writer to watch for.

Set in a dystopian future, isolated groups have adapted to environmental collapse in different ways. One group, the Amish, have adapted by maintaining a close-kni
BookLoversLife
This was an incredibly unique post apocalyptic book. It's hard to explain the plot because it's better experienced. From what I got, plants destroyed the world and now only 3 type of races are left, Halvainiens - genetically modified people who are plant like and sustained using photosynthesis. Cannibals and Fossilites - I'm still not too sure what these are but I think they are immortal humans (though I'm not sure how) but there race is plagued with genetic defects.

Even with it being so unique,
Hélène Louise
I was very enthusiastic in the beginning of my reading of this book. The settings were great; a post-apocalyptic world, in a rather distant futur, the humans divided in (at least) four fractions, very unequally organized (savage cannibals ones, traditional and very pious ones, scientific ones), and a clever narration, really smooth, without any info-dump, yes!
The idea of altered human beings, with green photosynthetic skin, particularly appeals to me.
The whole reading was quite good, but I lose
May Is Fungi From Yuggoth The Haunted Reading Room
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to May Is Fungi From Yuggoth by: Lovers of Paranormal
Review of Botanicaust

Reviewed for Lovers of Paranormal Goodreads Group

I just want to say “Wow-what a job of world-building”-it really stretched my imagination, plus the novel is a very enjoyable read. Set some distance into the future, four centuries after the “botanicaust,” in which the world’s total crop output is destroyed, by manmade mistakes including pesticides, leaving only a plant that is toxic, and a few other scattered types of plant life. By genetic modification, a species of modified
Haley B
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I LOVED this book. Of all the books I've read during this past year, this one sticks out as the best.

I quickly fell in love with the world. The author is very meticulous about world-building, and I was fascinated by the science behind all of it. That's by far the best part of this book; if you like science fiction, and you like immersing yourself in a new version of the world - this is your book.

The two main characters are fully developed. I loved Tula and Levi (though I was considerably less ho
Ashley
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was provided to me for free in exchange for an honest review.

I was immediately sucked into the basic premise of this book. It's set in a post apocalyptic world where you have 3 types of people; Blattvolk (basically have plant skin and can convert sunlight into energy), cannibals, and the immortals. The Blattvolk are on a mission to either convert or eradicate the cannibals. The heroine of this story is a converted Blattvolk named Tula. Their society is very open and very casual about s
Lisa
Dec 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished this several weeks ago as well. It was good. Someone who does not want to read about religion should probably stay away from this since half of the characters are deeply and stupidly religious. Not that there isn't justification for their ignorance, but boo on religions that condemn outsiders so much. (Not that the surviving high-tech societies were any better on the condemning others scale. In some ways worse since one was actually seeking out people and converting or killing them. Hmm ...more
Paul
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first regret is that I read this on a computer screen at work during intermitent pauses.
I regret not being able to give it the full attention it deserved.

This is an excellent story and a novel look at a post-apocaliptic earth.

People remain people... wether they be the god-worshiping amish-like group... the vampire-like ones... the cannibals... or the green-skinned "plant-people".

The "Botanicaust" has changed everyone and everything.

The only true survivors are those that remain human despite t
Claire
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This was a great read. I never wanted to put it down. (And if I didn't have little ones, I wouldn't have!)

After crops are wiped out by the Botanicaust, four different groups of people strive in their own way for survival. Blattvolk, who convert outsiders using genetic therapy against their will or no. Cannibals, who don't waste any food, and by food I mean meat lol. Fosselites, scientists who hide away from sunlight due to the effects of having the secrets to eternal life. The Old Order, who beh
M.A. Robbins
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The kind of book I really enjoy. It's an easy read, has great three-dimensional characters I identified with, a unique premise, and intriguing world-building. I tend to be able to predict plot twists and turns in many books. Not in this one. Tam left breadcrumbs that didn't broadcast future events, but which you'd remember later on and think, "Oh, that makes sense."
I'm going to get her short story Taking the Knife next and keep an eye out for her future books.
Amanda Dover
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was unique and refreshing. It was nothing like your typical apocalypse books, rather, it had an original plot full of.twists and turns. The characters were very well developed and I found myself very attached to them and their plight. I only hope that there will be a sequel as I desperately want to know what happens with Tula, Levi, and the New Order!
Elaine Plourde
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very strange but interesting book. It dealt with racism,religion and ecology. I almost stopped reading it at the beginning when it started talking about green people but when it was explained it turned out to be an excellent story. I know I'll enjoy other books by this author and if your a sci-fi reader I,m sure you,ll enjoy it.
Kimberly
An interesting mix of dystopian society, sci-fi and a small hint of The Scarlet Letter. (Yeah, that revelation surprised me, too! Maybe it wasn't intended, but when Tula was initially shunned, it reminded me of the Nathaniel Hawthorne classic.)

A vaguely defined event called the Botanicaust (botanical holocaust?), occurred centuries ago to eradicate intrusive and uncontrollable weeds. Unfortunately, the purposeful destruction also destroyed edible crops. Centuries later, four remaining groups of
Joan Roman Pavlick
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joan by: narrator of book
I always start my reviews by reviewing the narrator. Since they are the voice that makes or breaks a performance of the book! Will it want to make you want to go back and read the book! Meghan Kelly as in other books I have listen to her narrate excels in a flawless transition from one character to the next. Maintaining that difference or mood of the character as they journey thru this book by Tam Linsey. I do hope that she is brought back for any future sequels. There is nothing more disappoint ...more
sh(e)reader
I like post-apocalyptic reads ... this was a new approach, not the usual zombies/virus (genetically altered plants take over, wiping out other vegetation. Quote from the book "There are always costs when man alters nature, his own or the world around him").

While the blurb does seem to feature the Cannibals, out of the four groups (Blattvolk/plant people, Old Order and Fosselites are the others) the cannibals are the group, we as the reader, learn about the least.

I downloaded this and started r
Lindsay
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-5-star-books
First off, let me just say that if I had realized there was a big religious undertone to this book I probably wouldn't have picked it. Let me tell you why this book is different from any other one you've read though.

Botanicaust is a post-apocalyptic thriller that is unlike any others. It starts off a little slow and, frankly, is hard to connect to because the reader is not told what actually happened to destroy civilization until halfway through the book. The tension the "not knowing" created is
Zaz
4.5 stars. A compelling post-apocalyptic novel, with a great dystopian world building full of human neo-races and new cultures, but a little weak on the characterization.

With climat change and plants bioengineering, things turned wrong, leaving the Earth in bad shape. Various civilisations sprouted after that, leading to distinct populations with their own cultures, languages and genetic modifications. Tula is a photosynthetic woman, working in a conversion unit and helping people reach a new l
AudioBookReviewer
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ABR's full Botanicaust audiobook review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Botanicaust what a title, dredging up so many ideas in my head. A botanic holocaust? What could that entail? So many questions running around in my head.

Tam Linsey set out to create a unique world where the Earth was decimated by plants, of all things. Destroying anything resembling a society that I am familiar with. This, I am assuming, is set in the far future, after the devastation and humans have reconstructed.

Leaving
Shannon
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Levi’s son is stricken with a respiratory disease (cystic fibrosis I think) he risks everything by leaving his Amish like existence and venturing into the outside world where cannibals run rampant and survival is harsh. Levi lives in a post-apocalyptic world where all vegetation had died or became poisonous and humanity has resorted to cannibalism. Dr. Tula Macoby works converting former cannibals into photosynthesis humans who can live on sunlight (like plants) by absorbing it into their s ...more
Laura of Lurking
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This review was originally posted at

I was lucky enough to be offered an eARC of the second novel in the Botanicaust series, called Doomseeds. The author, Tam Linsey, also gave me a copy of the first novel so I could better judge the series. The review of that novel is to come shortly, however I wanted to give a review to this promising novel in its own right.

The first thing that hit me with this novel was the extensive world building right from the first page. A world barren of life as we know
Lilmissmolly
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Botanicaust by Tam Linsey is a very unique and compelling novel. It is a few hundred years after the Apocalypse where most of the known world died after genetic alterations were made to certain vegetation life, which had the opposite affect than anticipated. [When you think about how many of today’s crops are genetically engineered, this plot is totally plausible!] Most natural food sources are destroyed and the only way to save the human race is to photosynthesize a person’s skin so they are le ...more
Around the Year i...: Botanicaust, by Tam Linsey 5 18 Jan 14, 2017 03:12PM
Audiobooks: Sci-Fi Fantasy book in exchange for review~!! 2 25 Aug 17, 2015 12:33PM
Audiobooks: Free Audiobook Giveaway 7 85 Dec 02, 2014 09:43AM
Audiobooks: Botanicaust- Apocolyptic Sci-Fi Free Book for review!! 3 29 Nov 28, 2014 08:26PM
Apocalypse Whenever: Free Audiobook Giveaway 2 16 Nov 12, 2014 01:18PM
Future Survivors,...: Free Audiobook Giveaway 2 8 Nov 12, 2014 01:18PM
Paranormal and Ho...: Free Audiobook Giveaway 2 9 Nov 12, 2014 01:17PM
  • Touched by the Magic (The Academy #1)
  • Among the Dead and Dying (Among the Masses Book 1)
  • Ametsapolis Rising
  • Tankbread (Tankbread, #1)
  • Bleeker Hill
  • The Passenger (Surviving the Dead, #3.5)
  • Sleepers (sleepers, #1)
  • SILVER: The Lost & Damned (The Amaranthe Chronicles, #2) (Silver, #2)
  • Humanity's Last Chance (The Eden Project, #1)
  • Eden
  • Out of Darkness (The Starborn Saga, #1)
  • Ping: From the Apocalypse (Ping #1)
  • Blackout (Darkness Trilogy, #1)
  • Windigo Soul
  • 2020 Season 1 The Thrilling Post-Apocalyptic Series
  • The End Came With A Kiss (Beautiful Dead)
  • The Tilian Virus (The Pandemic Sequence #1)
  • Vampire Apocalypse: A World Torn Asunder
Tam was the kid who took AP Chemistry and AP Biology her Senior year of High School. After winning a scholarship to a DOE camp at Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, touring the superconducting supercollider, and karyotyping DNA from the HIV virus, she came to realize if she pursued biomedical engineering, she might never see the outside of a lab again.

Consequently, she earned a Bachelor of Science in E
More about Tam Linsey

Botanicaust (3 books)
  • Doomseeds  (Botanicaust #2)
  • Amarantox (Botanicaust Prequel)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Axe and the Throne (Bounds of Redemption, #1)
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Midnight Curse (Disrupted Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Delphi Effect (The Delphi Trilogy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“There are always costs when man alters nature, his own or the world around him.” 2 likes
“What was he supposed to do with five abominations? What would he tell his people?” 0 likes