Start by marking “The Watch” as Want to Read:
The Watch

The Watch

"First class...riveting...I made the mistake of opening it and I didn't get a lick of work done until I'd finished it." -Jack Whyte, International Best Selling Author. ..".[a] thrilling story...a page-turner right to the end. Tyner Gillies presents his debut novel with a fresh voice-an exciting new Canadian talent!" - kc dyer, Author and Director of the Surrey Internationa ...more
Published May 18th 2012 by Dark Dragon Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Watch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Watch

Linda Poitevin
Jan 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Overall, a fairly solid thriller and an enjoyable read, though I did have a couple of problems with it. First, I would have liked to see the language significantly toned down. Yes, cops swear (a lot, to be honest), but I found the amount and colour of the language used in the book to be more than a little distracting. It wasn't necessary to the story, and I think that Gillies limits his audience with keeping it as strong as he has. Second, as one who has worked in the RCMP as a civilian member ( ...more
Karen Dales
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to be honest and truthful here. Yes, I was the editor for this novel, but man oh man was I thrilled to edit this incredible book. It's rare for a novel to keep me in suspense and on the edge of my seat, but The Watch did so. Many times I FORGOT that I was editing it, so sucked into the narrative I became! I'm not going to give any spoilers here, but I'll say this, Tyner Gillies' The Watch is an awesome story that I never grew bored to read, and I read it multiple times!
Ellen Michelle
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Watch is a wonderful combination of two of my favourite genres: fantasy and crime. The book itself I must classify as fantastical crime, not only because of its fantasy elements—hello, demon in the basement—but also because the book is fantastic.

Constable Quinn Sullivan has stumbled into a hero’s journey after being transferred to the Resolution Cove police department. Quinn has only been in Resolution Cove a short time when he is forced into a rivalry with a demon he doesn’t believe exists.
Shawn Bird
I enjoyed this modernization of the Dudley Do-Right myth of the Canadian RCMP as saviour of the innocent. I was somewhat taken aback when the fantasy angle appeared, and set it aside for a few hours while I came to terms with it. Gillies's inside knowledge of policing was so gritty and realistic I wasn't prepared for the fantastic to appear! It was quite the conceptual contrast. All in all, a good quick read for those who enjoy realistic police drama and fantasy, and don't mind a lot of cursing.
R. Hannah
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book that combines the paranormal and crime scene investigation! Tyner definately shows his experience as a police officer and delves into the world of putting the clues together to solve a mysterious string of murders...what you don't realize until your drawn into his world is that there is something much more sinister in the small Canadian town of Resolution.
His characterizations are fresh, descriptions are vivid and the story is compelling! You will not want to put it down.
I canno
Ania Kyte
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gillies combines just enough real-life policing with a touch of the mystical to subtly keep the reader's interest on every page...
This good cop vs. ancient evil story pulses along with fresh characters and gritty detail, presenting a solid conflict that could realistically exist in our own back yard.
A fantastic, thrilling book to read on a dark, rainy weekend - looking forward to the sequel!
~Ania, Mission, BC
Lara Lacombe
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
Great debut from a promising author! The suspense is gripping, the pacing is tight, and the dialogue really makes the characters shine. Overall, an ideal blend of suspense and action, with just the right amount of paranormal thrown in for good measure.

I enjoyed this book, and look forward to additional work from this author!
Linda
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed this book! It took hold of me from the beginning with humour and edge of your seat reading. You can't help but love Quinn and his friends. There's always something special for me to read Canadian books with cities I know and can relate to, brings me in even more.
Kathleen Ladislaus
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it
For a first work, this was a great effort. The main character, also the hero of the story is well developed and believable. I look forward to reading more from Tyner.
James Jr.