Start by marking “Desert Mojito” as Want to Read:
Desert Mojito

Desert Mojito

Published May 13th 2013 by Nazli Ghassemi (first published June 18th 2012)

Diane
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
"What to do?" First off, this is one of my favorites book covers ever. Go purple! And I had the pleasure of meeting, and keeping in touch with, the author Nazli Ghassemi.

I imagine this book could be classified as 'chick lit' which is not a typical genre for me; that said, I really had a blast reading this book! Not only was I kept entertained by our main character, Maya (I loved Maya by the way) and her wide array of friends and love interests, but I learned a great deal about the cultures and p
James Tackett
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great storytelling and fascinating backdrop amidst the raging dichotomy that IS Dubai.
This is definitely the only book I have read recently that NAILS the Third Culture Kid phenomenon.
Really fun read.
Lili
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Hilarious. Highly recommended!
Don Maker
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I confess, this is the first time I’ve ever read Chick Lit (unless you count Jane Austen, who I suppose was an early example of the genre, only without the sex). For that reason, my rating of 4 may be a little low.

In general, what I liked about it was the same as Jane: it is both funny in situation and often witty in dialogue and description. The characters are interesting, although I was introduced to far too many to be able to keep track. The plot was simple: the girl had to get Mr. Right at t
Michele Maurer
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once I picked up Desert Mojito, I couldn't put it down! It was well-written, clever, funny, and describes the Dubai I knew when I lived there from 2006-2011. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has been there, is going to move there, or has an interest in the Middle East. It relates the Middle Eastern experience to even the unseasoned Middle Eastern traveler!

Ms. Ghassemi moves masterfully between characters and scenarios that brought vivid pictures to my mind. The book was perfectl
Jan
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Desert Mojito reminded me of the travelogues of the fifties in which an insipid romance was interwoven with beautiful shots of landscapes and monuments. The story is mostly centered in Dubai. The characters are international and have all arrived in Dubai for various reasons.
In this case the "romance" is intertwined with cultural values, insight into modern behavior of the young in legally restrictive countries, and a look into a city with far to much money and far to poor values (at least as re
Jason Makansi
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Other than the fascinating details about life in a city I am not familiar with (Dubai) and a few of the humor bits, I found Desert Mojito to be just "not my thing." It's more of a "cozy" - affluent young women enjoying their young adult years pursuing modern love and validation in an area difficult on both counts (the Middle East). The writing is fine but the story seemed to meander and I wasn't taken with any of the characters. The novel would probably make a great beach read.

It's got a beautif
Don O'goodreader
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ever wonder what life is like for expats in Dubai? Desert Mojito by Nazli Ghassemi answers: "Just like Sex and the City."

If you are looking a mixture of single-girl talk and praise for the exotic life in Dubai, this is the book for you: Sex and the Desert. In this telling, Dubai is a place of sex, drinking, and even a gay wedding celebration.

Fr more see: http://1book42day.blogspot.com/2013/0...

I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway on July 15, 2013. I received the book Ju
Wendy Pimm
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Totally done dating in this lifetime, yet I could still relate and the story was so Funny, Maya was soooo funny. I have never been to the middle east and have never dated a middle eastern man. But I feel like I was there, that the sun and the sand were right here. All I want to do now is to jump on a plane to Dubai (although there is no way I could afford it). The story was just a wonderful and adventurous time. Gonna tell everyone to read this book.
Cassidy
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great summer read! Not too fluffy but just enough that it was fun to read and not painful :) It was interesting to read as I've never been to Dubai to get a handle on the culture and differences there compared to England and USA where I have lived. I'll definitely be recommending to my friends!
Marie
Jul 01, 2017
Samaya Ali
May 28, 2016
Anna Siwek
rated it did not like it
Sep 04, 2015
Samantha D'souza
Sep 14, 2017
Shideh Afshar malek
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is a well written book, I love the author's fun view life. It was a great red for vacation.
Nazli Ghassemi
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Marc

• A Land without Jasmine
  • We Are Iran: The Persian Blogs
  • To See and See Again: A Life in Iran and America
  • Monsters Are Afraid of the Moon
  • The Cat Who'll Live Forever: The Final Adventures of Norton, the Perfect Cat, and His Imperfect Human
  • My Sister, Guard Your Veil; My Brother, Guard Your Eyes: Uncensored Iranian Voices
  • My Prison, My Home: One Woman's Story of Captivity in Iran
  • Late for Tea at the Deer Palace: The Lost Dreams of My Iraqi Family
  • Leaving India: My Family's Journey from Five Villages to Five Continents
  • The Sky Manifest
  • Cadillac Chronicles
  • A Pirate Named Molly (56 Limericks for Kids, #1)
  • Sky of Red Poppies
Nazli Ghassemi was born in Iran and has traveled extensively in Europe, America, and the Middle East, living among people of many cultures and creeds. She wrote her first novel, Desert Mojito, while working and living in Dubai.

Desert Mojito is a humorous fiction based in the flamboyant desert city Dubai, where East and West collide at top speed. We cross cultural boundaries on a humorous journey w