Start by marking “Hands Can” as Want to Read:
Hands Can

Hands Can

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  227 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Hands can do all kinds of things! A rhyming text with eye-catching color photos offers just the encouragement young children need to explore their world - hands on.

Hands can hold things.
Hands can mold things.
Hands can catch
and hands can throw.

Hands can do much more, of course - wave hello and goodbye, play peekaboo, touch things, clap, even tie a shoe. For the very young,
Published July 28th 2003 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Hands Can, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hands Can

Erika
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, picture-books
The letter of the day was "C," so one of the things we talked about was the word "can." What does "can" mean? The toddlers followed along by doing what the kids in the pictures were doing (waving hello, reaching high and reaching low, clapping, playing peek-a-boo, etc.). I love this book because of all the diverse children reflected in the photographs! Kids and babies love seeing pictures of real kids (babies are especially fascinated by them), so even though this is an older book (2003), it is ...more
Megan
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
The giant version of this book is perfect for a story time for tiny ones!
Hannah Groeschen
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the real life pictures in this books, but the story didn't flow as well as I expected it to.
Angie Quantrell
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful photos for this rhyming board book.
Kary
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
Books with real photos of babies and children are always a hit! Great for baby/toddler storytime about body parts.
Laurie Brumbaugh
Great book for baby/toddler storytime! The kids loved participating, doing all the things hands can do!
Shari
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
Beautiful photography
Annie Payne
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite, but the babies/toddlers enjoyed it.
toddler storytime; read-aloud; lapsit; photographs; body parts
Jrowe
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Hudson, C. (2003). Hands Can. Massachusetts: Candlewick Press.

Concept Book

Large colorful photographs are framed in various solid colors on each page. Photos are of children the same as of the target audience; ages 2-5. The images are of children depicting the action(s) that support the text regarding what hands can do. The font is large and bold. Sentences are short and direct. For activities that require a sequence of photos to communicate the action(s), the images are framed and evenly paced
Erin
Hands Can is a photographic board book that shows children doing all sorts of things with their hands; from waving hello, to catch and throw, and planting seeds in a row. The simple rhyming text takes readers through various hands-on activities for toddlers, and each photo page is bordered by a colored background and has the text clearly shown next to the photos. Parents can use this book to talk to toddlers about the ways they can explore their own world around them through hands-on activities. ...more
Elizabeth
Jun 30, 2016 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Kate B. had recommended another book by this author
Having just read a bunch of Cheryl Willis Hudson's What-A-Baby series, I was thrown that the first 4 kids depicted in this book were white -- and even after the introduction of the first 2 black kids, the majority of the kids in the book are white (okay, I did the math, and it's actually close to even, but the POC kids are much more likely to share their photo with another kid and/or to be in a smaller photo, and are much less likely to get a multi-photo spread or to show up multiple times).

I li
Jenna
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Caregivers of toddlers
Recommended to Jenna by: For Small Hands Montessori Catalog
Shelves: toddler
(reviewed after reading to a 20 month old boy numerous times)

We borrowed this book from the library and decided to purchase it! My son loved the photographs of children doing fun things. He's extremely interested in basketball right now and there is a picture of two children catching and throwing a basketball - it's his favorite page. The diversity of the children has also helped open conversation about skin color, hair color, and hair texture.
South Country Library Children's Department
A fun photographic rhyming book about all the things kids can do with their hands, such as waving, throwing, catching, and more. This book features a diverse cast of children, so reading this book can foster a conversation with toddlers about different skin colors. The diversity of this book could have been improved with the addition of a rhyme about sign language -- after all, that's another thing we can do with our hands.
Susan
Sep 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Doing a story time for the little ones on hands? Here's a welcome book (and you people who will appreciate this, you know who you are). Colored photographs add to the visual interest. Pair this with a book on baby signing for even more "handy" fun (oh, hush, I have a tooth ache so I can make bad puns if I want to).
Patrick
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This photographic book, with simple text, features faces of different colors and cultures. We learn that hands can plant seeds, clap, and wave hello with faces that are Caucasian, African-American and Asian faces (I did not see latin). Great for those who have a toddler child looking for a book that is representative of their child.
Amy
This is a Spanish language edition of Hands Can. Much of the rhyme and rhythm of the English version is lost in translation, but the lovely pictures and empowering sentiment are still there in this ode to the versatility of our hands. Recommended as an optional purchase for Spanish Language library collections.
April
With rhyming, simple, and high-contrast text, this book will be great for both baby and toddler storytimes. I also have a soft spot for books with "real" photographs in them, because lil' ones LOVE looking at faces. A solid little board book that is both diverse and engaging.
Paul  Hankins
An exploration of the positive things hands can do. John-Francis Bourke's brilliant photography of children doing these activities make for a nice first read for younger readers or a nice exploration of diversity for readers who are a little older.
Olugbemisola Ogutuga
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: special-me
The book illustrate many of the skills children perform with their hands, reinforcing children's confidence and independence such as hands that wave and hands that fix things.
This book encourages children to know the usefulness of their hands.
Catherine
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it
My five-year-old son brought this home from Kindy, but we both felt it was a bit baby for him. He lost interest quickly.
Luckily his one-year-old sister enjoyed it. She has recently learned to clap her hands, so this was actually perfect. Plus, she loves looking at children's faces.
Christina Mack
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This was an very fun story to read. The words in this story can be read or sung its perfect both ways.

extension: teacher can read the story and have children act out whats going on in the story.

LD5f: Dramatizes, tells, and retells poems and stories.
Vicki
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
This is one of those "sweet" books to read aloud to a young child. If they are old enough, you could have them act out some of the actions or retell the story after you read it once. Photographs show real children doing what the text says - love that!
Katie Turley
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I like this book.
It tells the reader in a simple, fun way, with beautiful pictures what hands can do!
I would share this with a classroom to talk about certain types of our body: hands section.
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Perfectly simple rhythmic text and the perfect length for baby and toddler storytimes. The kids love seeing photographs of the children in the book.
Meredith
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great pictures and fun to read with my babies. It was a little long, so next time, I might skip a few pages.
Rae
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: oliver-jacob
Dated pix but the boys loved exploring their hands along with this book at 10-12 mos.
Sam
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A favorite for my 18 month old son.
Vanessa Centeno
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love the real-life pictures and simple text. Makes it a great book for younger children.
Jenny
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My 2-year-old son has memorized this book about all the things children can do with their hands, and wants to "read" it to me daily.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Peekaboo Morning
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Hello Baby!
  • Say Hello Like This!
  • Global Babies
  • A Kiss Means I Love You
  • All of Baby, Nose to Toes
  • I Love You, Nose! I Love You, Toes!
  • Higher! Higher!
  • Clap Hands
Cheryl Willis Hudson is the author of a dozen books for children, including BRIGHT EYES, BROWN SKIN (coauthored with Bernette G. Ford) and COME BY HERE, LORD: EVERYDAY PRAYERS FOR CHILDREN. She says that HANDS CAN was inspired by her own children. "I was amazed by the versatility, dexterity, utility, and even gracefulness of such small fingers," she says. "I began to see hands as marvelous works o ...more