Start by marking “Sacrifice of Innocence (Stan Brookshire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sacrifice of Innocence (Stan Brookshire, #1)

Sacrifice of Innocence

(Stan Brookshire #1)

A cult has been killing children for its rituals and only one cop knows who they are. Detective Stan Brookshire knows but his past keeps people from believing in him. Can he rise above the stigma that shrouds his past and stop a cult from taking yet another innocent child from her mother’s arms before it’s too late?
Published January 30th 2013 (first published June 1st 2012)

Start your review of Sacrifice of Innocence (Stan Brookshire, #1)
Linda Strong
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Children have gone missing and later found murdered. Fortunately there is a suspect in custody. Unfortunately, another child goes missing. Have they got the wrong man? Is there an accomplice involved? Detective Stan Brookshire and his partner Detective Jane Trinity are investigating.

But someone is trying to stop the detectives from getting too close. Stan is forced off the task force with a bunch of lies. Jane is still a part .. but mysteriously she is assaulted and winds up in the hospital.

The
Douglas McLeod
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a thrill of a thriller. I could actually feel for Detective Brookshire as he was being framed by the antagonists. The supporting cast on Brookshire's side were effective. It makes me eagerly anticipate future works by the talented Allison Cosgrove.
Nicole Brown
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From the very first page this book hooks you. Fantastic dialogue, intrigue, action & the characters are brilliantly flawed. I personally can't wait for the next in the series.
Allison Cosgrove is a strong new voice on the Indie Author scene and I am sure her popularity will grow from strength to strength as people become immersed in her stories and the lives of her well formed characters and dialogue.
Susan
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
For a published book I found some mistakes. I thought there was too much angst and past personal problems to make the main characters interesting or plausible, and certainly not enough about the murders.
A NetGalley book
Alyssa White
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
4.75 rounded up.
I was not sure what I was getting myself into when I got this book...holy dang! This book follows characters, that I could easily picture in my head, on an adventure to save the children of their town. Murder, Sacrifice, Drama...this book has it all!
Patricia
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I was intrigued when I found this book. I love a really good detective book so I took the chance and man I am so glad I did . This book had me hooked from the very first chapter . I mean who doesn't like a good crime novel where there is a cult and a detective they want gone and do everything in their power it disgrace him. Stan Brookshire is out to figure out what is happening , after 4 children are abducted and murdered. The task force is set up to figure out what is happening . Will Stan
Tara Wood
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was initially drawn to this story by the premise. I love a good, solid thriller. Sacrifice of Innocence delivers on this front.

Ms. Cosgrove has created a character in Stan Brookshire that has the potential to rival that of Connelly’s Harry Bosch. But, I wanted more from him. He is a character that is likeable and relatable, which is why I expected more. He came across to me with all the hallmarks of a suspense novel detective, but I was struggling to find what would make him stand out. I like
Dawn Prough
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Spunky N Sassy
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
Iris
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is now the second time I've read this book and I have to admit that I am impressed by this authors first book. Detective Stan Brookshire is not your typical hero. He's not a gorgeous specimen of a man, he's not tall, dark, nor handsome. He is the complete opposite. He's best described as average. Average height... average looks.... if anything, he is best describe as portly. He has been broken and managed to pick up those pieces and mend himself back together, even if at times it looks like ...more
Rhoda D'Ettore
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Edge of your seat thriller that leaves you craving more. I literally read this 260 pages or so in a couple hours... I did not put it down once.. not even to eat lunch. What do you get when you cross sarcastic banter of police detectives with a modern Aztec cult sacrificing children? Police cover-ups which are believable, missing kids, determined parents.. and one heck of a story! Five child murders occur and no one really cared because the kids were nobodies.. all except one that was the daughte ...more
°~Amy~°
Jun 18, 2014 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this book direct from the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Sacrifice of Innocence follows Detective Stan Brookshire as he investigates the cold case murders of several children and the recent disappearance of yet another child. As he digs deeper into the case he finds that you can’t run from your own past and that the most terrifying of monsters can live right under your own nose.

What I liked: the characters were likeable, a little forced at times, but
PelicanFreak
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Editing/Proofing:
Seems professional, no distractions.

Formating:
Absolutely gorgeous, now that E-Book Builders has re-done it!

Overall:
Couldn't put this down; read in a couple sessions. What I love about this novel is it's a mystery but not your typical mystery, as it isn't like all the other books in this genre. The good guy is a good but he's up against corrupt cops, his own bad reputation (former drunk), a child-snatching cult... we also get to read from the point of view of the good guys, the
Cheryl Whitty
The Sacrifice of Innocence is a good old fashioned murder mystery and I loved it.
When I started reading I nearly consumed it one seating, the story drew me in straight away.
Stan Brookshire has managed to link cases of child abduction and murder together, and a serial killer is responsible.
After the death of his partner , he turned to drink and his wife left him. He was a broken man until partnered with Jane Trinity, with help of Jane and her family he cleaned his act up.
After the arrest of a su
grumpybybirth
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by Allison Cosgrove but it won't be my last. This book grabbed my attention from the first couple of sentences. I was intrigued and had to know more. I was hooked!

Stan Brookshire has his work cut out for him in this book. Stan is a guy that I really enjoyed getting to know, I loved the interaction between him and the other characters. His loyalty and his diligence.

This is one hell of a story that had me on the edge of my seat. I couldn't put it down, I had to read one mor
Lynda Kelly
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: deleted
Another I've jacked in because it's full of mistakes. I did try and made it to 27% before I'd had enough. A great shame as I really liked the characters Stan and Jane.
Apostrophes were misplaced and odd spaces were added into words for no reason then a lot of stuff was repeated as well. A whole paragraph word-for-word at one point !! Then words were missing in sentences like a or of. Dry used instead of dried then "not of sure that" was one line where the words were transposed. Dependent is not s
Pammy
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was given as a gift to me from the author. What an awesome, exciting read!!! I was riveted from the very first page to the very last page. I loved how we got to see what was going on through every main characters POV. You usually don't get the POV from the victims, the family of the victims. Stan Brookshire was a wonderful character, you couldn't help but love him and keep rooting for him. I loved that the story was easy to read and did not have all the technical crime stuff that other ...more
Pammy
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bookangels12
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
How far would you go to save your job for Stan Brookshire he would do just about anything to prove he's innocent. He would risk his life to save his partners and to save a kidnapped child to prove it.
I will be telling all my friends about this book.

Book angels 12 was given a copy in return for a honest review.

KEESA
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really great suspenseful read with great characters. This book had my full attention from the paragraph. I don't usually read suspense only watch but I enjoyed this as much as a TV show. Fantastic thriller!
Ruby McDemon
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. So much action and suspense it was amazing! With all the twists and turns and all the excitement I had a hard time putting it down for anything. Wonderful work by an amazing author!!!
Becca
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love Stan and Jane!! Kevin too!! Wasn't sure what to expect. I love myself a good detective novel, and I didn't want to put this down. Love that it wasn't a typical story line, great twists and turns in the story that kept me hooked!
Suzzy
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Interesting book

I have to say this is not my normal genre and more often then not would not have read. But I told myself I would try new things. I am glad I did. The story is well put together and very intriguing. I was happily surprised with this book.
Dylan Madeley
Was good. Knowing this is the first edition, hope later editions had some more copy editing--I'm going to assume this is so.
Lillian Cummings
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great start to the series. Love Stan one hell of a man he steals the show. Can't wait to read the others in the series.
Amy
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it!!! Couldnt put it down
Heather Hollister
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read. It keeps you interested. I know I wanted to know what would happen next. Stan does a great job. This book is well written. Give this book a try.
Diana Febry
Mar 05, 2014
KEESA
Sep 14, 2015
Joel Mark
Oct 25, 2012

• The Girl on the Bridge
  • Invisible City (Rebekah Roberts, #1)
  • The Next Girl (Detective Gina Harte, #1)
  • Three Women
  • Finding Jake
  • Her Final Hour (Detective Gina Harte, #2)
  • Her Pretty Bones (Detective Gina Harte, #3)
Allison Cosgrove was born and raised in a suburb of Toronto, Ontario. A married mother of three daughters, she runs her own business by day and creates her own worlds by night. She enjoys spending time with her husband and daughters hiking in the woods or sitting by the fire reading a good book. She has had the love of reading and writing detective mysteries from the age of twelve but it has only ...more

Stan Brookshire (5 books)
  • Dragon Twins (Stan Brookshire, #2)
  • An Insomniac's Dream (Stan Brookshire, #3)
  • Pieces Of You (Stan Brookshire, #4)
  • The Widowmaker (A Stan Brookshire Novel, #5)

News & Interviews