Start by marking “The Road From Chapel Hill” as Want to Read:
The Road From Chapel Hill

The Road From Chapel Hill

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  143 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Eugenia Mae Spotswood, the daughter of a failed aristocrat, longs to regain the life she lost. The slave Tom wants one thing: freedom. After becoming the property of Eugenia Mae, a dangerous affection grows. But he learns freedom is not something she can give him - he must fight for it himself.

Clyde Bricket, the farm boy responsible for Tom's capture, has always believed

Published October 31st 2006 by Berkley (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Road From Chapel Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road From Chapel Hill

Lori
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Entertaining, interesting and Enjoyable

Story of how 3 lives intersect right before and during he Civil War.

Eugenie Mae Spotswood, is naive about the world and sets unforeseen consequences into motion when she frees Tom.

The story follows Tom, a slave, and Clyde Bricket, a boy who changes his view on slavery throughout the story, who is also the son of Toms former owner.

Eugenie ends up becoming a member of the Hero's of America or a red string, the underground railroad for rebels agains
Cynthia
Jan 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Plot: Set during the civil war Chapel Hill and other areas in North Carolina, Eugenia is a young woman whose family fortune is lost and she now works at a gold mine town. Tom is a young slave who tries to run away but is later captures and sold to Eugenia and her father. Clyde is a young hillbilly boy who wants to become a slave patroller. Their stories connect in a wonderful way and their attitudes and lives change for the better.

What I liked about the book:

I live in Chapel Hill so that is what
Readnponder
Dec 17, 2014 rated it liked it
A story set during the Civil War years in North Carolina. Despite the title, most of the book takes place in and around Salisbury NC or down East. Not much occurred in NC.
Eugenia's family falls on hard times and the pampered daughter finds herself cooking for a mining camp. Her path crosses Tom's, a runaway slave from Chapel Hill. The two begin to love each other, although this is something which cannot be expressed.

The novel traces Tom's efforts to find freedom and Eugenia's experience nursin
April
“This audiobook was given by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review via Audiobook Boom.”

I had high hopes for this book, but I was disappointed. The storyling dragged on forever without much original thought. The characters were predictable and after a

while I became bored, just wishing for the end. The American Civil War was a terrible period of time and it takes someone special to tell a fictionalized tale not yet

shared.

The narration was well done,cons
Charlene
Jan 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed all the details about how life might have been for southerners during the Civil War, especially towards the end of the war when food, shelter & clothing were difficult or impossible to come by. I think I would have liked more closure for the characters. There are a lot of unanswered questions - will there be a sequel?
Stephanie
Jul 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to any historical fiction fans. One warning though, this book is set before and during the civil war and has situations of racism and war typical of that time. Also, it takes a couple chapters to get into the story but I'm glad I stuck it out since the story got much better.
Mina
Apr 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book can be summed up in one word: MEDIOCRE. I found myself entirely incapable of caring about any of the characters. It was one of those books where I reached the end and wondered what the point of it was. I think I know what the author was going for, but I didn't find anything in this book remotely compelling. I was definitely tempted to abandon it partway through.
Kelly
Jul 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I don't always enjoy history books, but this one was different. I like the intertwining stories of the three main sections of the book. There is a young woman and her father, a slave named Tom, and a boy named Clyde. Based in the Civil War era this was a great book to read.
Heather
Jun 19, 2010 rated it liked it
A sweeping tale set in the south during the Civil War, in which three people, worlds apart, are joined in a struggle for something greater than themselves. It was a well written book, vivid in detail, but not a fun read.
Caitlin
Aug 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
I liked this better than I thought I would. I expected something very formulaic and predictable, but it continued to surprise me, right to the end. Interesting look at what was going on in and around my current hometown during the Civil War.
Rachel
Mar 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
I was really disapointed in this book. I couldn't figure out how Clyde had any relavance or importance in the novel other than to annoy me. The end was also saddening and didn't tie up any of the loose ends that the author had created.
Joycelyn
Jul 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: civil-war
I wondered throughout the book how the author would tie together these three distinct yet interrelated characters and stories. I am still wondering as the end left as many questions as answers. A lot of this novel is somewhat grim and depressing.
Jsimpson143
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you like North Carolina historical fiction, you'll like this. The main character is a young woman who goes from a life of privilege to one of service to wounded Conferederate deserters. Scott's development of main and supporting characters is outstanding.
Sally Buckner
Jun 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers interested in history
How those who opposed the war worked to help wounded Union soldiers in Salisbury, NC. From history and such novels as Cold Mountain I already knew how the war disrupted the civil society and made ruffians of ordinary people, but Scott reminded me of the corruptions caused by war.
Julie
Apr 04, 2008 rated it liked it
I enjoy the Civil War time period. I was sad at the end, but I guess things always don't work out as I hope!
Msporter64
Mar 25, 2010 rated it liked it
I thought it was prdictable, but I was wrong. I wanted to keep reading, but was a bit disappointed. However, it does inspire me to want to read more about the Civil War.
Sue Getman
Feb 02, 2016 rated it liked it
it was just an OK book about the Civil War, Underground Railroad, women's issues, and black-white issues
Amy
Jun 21, 2015 marked it as to-read
just not interested in the characters or storyline. maybe come back to it when we study the civil war?
Diane
Dec 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult
Not what I had hoped for from a historical fiction novel about the Civil War. There were parts that were interesting but most of it was rather boring.
Caroline
May 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: North Carolinians and people who enjoy history
Histocial fiction about a young woman and a male slave during the Civil War era. The whole story takes place in North Carolina, with special emphasis on Chapel Hill.
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: southern
Very good read. Somewhat in the vein of Cold Mountain--set in North Carolina during the Civil War--but the writing is style is much richer.
Cj Nelson
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Simple, predictable. If you are ever in the mood for a quick easy read that doesn't weigh down your mind, here you go.
Reed Bilz
Civil War South
Shelie
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like the reader much and the story just seemed kind of unemotional when it should have been more. I think it would have been better to read than to have listened to it.
Good book overall. I really enjoyed it - but was somewhat disappointed with the ending. Didn't feel that there was enough resolution and felt abrupt.
Penny
Aug 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
I hadn't read a good civil war novel in a while and it was good to get back into that genre.
Cynthia T
Aug 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Companion book to Child of the South. Generally about life in post Civil War in North Carolina. Learned alot of history. Learned there was once a "poorhouse" in Greensboro!
Katie
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very moving. Great read!
barbara hinderer
Feb 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
I technically didn't 'read' this book. I got almost 100 pages into and had to give up. I just couldn't get into it.
Kim
  • Mountain Woman
  • Come Back
  • Jarrettsville
  • Widow Woman
  • Rachel's Eyes (Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold #1.5)
  • Every Fixed Star (Tender Ties Historical, #2)
  • Tin Angel
  • Carolina Rain
  • Wild Roses
  • Bridget (Women of Primrose Creek, #1)
  • Chasing the Sun (Blood Rose, #3)
  • In a Dark Season (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #4)
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
Joanna Catherine Scott (1943--) was born in England during an air raid over London, raised in Australia by a rabidly religious mother and a phlegmatic engineer father, married way too young, divorced, fell in love again and came with her American husband to live in the US where, aside from a couple of years in the Philippines, she has lived below the Mason Dixon line ever since. Her five novels an ...more
More about Joanna Catherine Scott...