Start by marking “All the Stars in the Sky: The Santa Fe Trail Diary of Florrie Mack Ryder (Dear America)” as Want to Read:

All the Stars in the Sky: The Santa Fe Trail Diary of Florrie Mack Ryder

(Dear America)

Florrie finds the adventure of a lifetime along the Santa Fe Trail, meeting new challenges and dangers, after her mother decides to move her family from Missouri to New Mexico.

Starting their journey from their home in Missouri, Florrie Ryder and her family are headed towards the promise of a new life in Santa Fe. As they cross the Great Plains of the midwestern prairie, fo
Published September 1st 2003 by Scholastic Press

Kelsey Hanson
This book featured a unique variety of cultures and languages that I found very interesting. It was a bittersweet story with many meetings and partings but all of the characters were interesting and showed how many different people came together while traveling on the trail. As I've said before, I love Dear America books that have a journey involved and this was no exception.
Amie
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This neat book covers a period of time not frequently discussed...the brave people who traveled the Santa Fe Trail. I wish there were more details about the history of the trail in the back, as well as a note about what would typically happen to orphaned children on the trail. It was a good read, though.
Pam
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book very much.I am a fan of what I call Pioneer books and this fit that.It in diary format telling of the family's trip on the Oregon trail.What a time they had getting there.It is well worth the reading.
Amy Moniz
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was interesting, and I learned a lot about what a young girl's perspective of that time/trip was like.
Diane
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Santa Fe Trail, a trading trail through the desert to New Mexico, and a family's travels to there.
Brooke
Nov 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
I’m officially not into the prairie life anymore.
Ana Mardoll
Dec 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ana-reviewed
All the Stars in the Sky (Santa Fe Trail) / 0-439-16963-1

"All the Stars in the Sky" takes the reader over the Santa Fe trail as the narrator's family emigrates to their new home. Like many of the Dear America books, the narrator's family life is frustratingly messy - in this case, her mother is newly remarried after having been a widow for many years, and the children are forced to adjust to a new father and a new way of life at the same time, for Mr. Ryder is a merchant and merchants must go wh
Elizabeth
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Dear America loves its Western Expansion stories, and All the Stars in the Sky takes us to New Mexico on the Santa Fe Trail. This book is slightly unique in that it’s the first (of what I’ve read) that features a stepfather, and McDonald actually demonstrates the tension and confusion that can result from having a new father rather well. It also has some good historical details and the mixing of Mexican, Native American, and American is done well enough that it gives a good picture of the mixing ...more
Cece
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jess Farrar
Jul 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 4th -7th graders (and adults) :)
If there's any way to get kids who hate history into history, the Dear America series may be it. I wish these books had been around when I was in middle school! This particular one reminded me of the computer game "Oregon Trail," the only other thing that has ever gotten me into history. I unfortunately have to admit that without "Oregon Trail," I'd know nothing about the great westward movement. Books like this one give readers a person (albeit a fictional one) to see history through.

Not only
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it

All The Stars in the Sky: The Santa Fe Trail Diary of Florrie Mack Ryder

As with several other books in the series, this one deals with a young girl moving West, this time along the Santa Fe Trail in 1848. As with the other similar books, this one describes some of the hardships families had to endure during their travel to the west, and how some of them never survived the journey.

This book diverges in that it deals with the Santa Fe trail, a trail which was perhaps a little more "worn in" than t
Rebecca
Apr 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Twelve-year-old Florrie barely remembers her father, who died when she was very young. Now her mother has remarried, and Florrie's new stepfather, who is a trader, has decided to take his new family to Santa Fe, where he is part owner of a store. Florrie begins her diary as she, her younger brother, mother, and stepfather set out from Missouri on the Santa Fe trail. She describes the hardships they face crossing rivers, mountains, and deserts, but also the joys, as she makes new friends and expe ...more
Lindsay
This book is different then others I have read. For the format is in Diary setting. Though I understood the story behind it. This was great read. It told more of the history of the Trail. It about a girl that goes though the some hardships and adjustments.

Florrie and her family travel from Arrow Rock, Missouri to Santa Fe, New Mexico. Florrie and her brother Jem need to adjust to having a stepfather named Mr. Ryder. You learn a lot about the daily life of being on the Santa Fe Trail back in 1848
Beverly
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the first of my reads about the Santa Fe Trail, this one I liked very much. This family left Missouri with the Oregon bound people and split to go South to settle in southwest territories gained from Mexico. Unlike the heavily traveled Oregon Trail, this one was primarily a buffalo route. American traders were unwelcome, under Spanish rule, but by 1821, Mexico was independant of Spain. Mexican governors were eager to trade with Americans. The dangers were different from the Oregon bound p ...more
Molly
Aug 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
Terri
Dec 26, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a Dear America book, telling the story of Florence as she travels west on the Santa Fe trail with her stepfather and family. The friends she makes, and has to part from as they go their seperate ways. I enjoy this series because they are well researched books that are written in a way that makes history come alive.
Abdmoody
Nov 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
It was a very good book. I think that it was too ordinary and dully realistic for my taste. But I thought about it even after I was done reading it and talked about with others who I thought would enjoy this story line. I just wasn't in the mood for realistic the day I read it. What I learned...
I learned that I am glad for the world of conveniences that I enjoy daily. Actually every minute.
Meghan
Nov 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: dear-america
I applaud the author for being able to write about a girl going on the Santa Fe Trail and for writing it well. Because most of the trail was also part of the Oregon Trail I felt a little bored with her describing different places but the characters kept me interested. Not one of my favorite Dear Americas but good enough for me to read again.
Linda K
May 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Nice diary written by a young girl on the Santa Fe Trail of the 1840's. A reminder of the harshness of those journeys and leaves me wondering if I would have been one of those likely to do so; I think not.
Kaetlyn
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I read this book.
I like that Florrie, her brother, mom and dad get safely to Santa Fe. And I like that they have a home and have a adopted baby sister.
I don't like that Mr.Ryder spent all their money on gamboling games.
It was a really good book.
Nicole
Jan 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!
Recommended to Nicole by: Myself!
This book is phenomenal. I feel a connection between me and Florrie. I feel like her best friend who knows all her secrets. I want to help her, cry with her, laugh with her, carry her through difficult situations, and just be her best friend ever. I'll never forget her.
Gwen
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
A quick and enjoyable read. I was transported! Found I couldn't stop reading when I started. McDonald captured the essence of a young girl traveling west without the comforts we now know. She did her homework and it gave the reader the impression she had been there herself. Well done!
Haley Wilkie
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love how this is written
Sheila Read
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I remember the cover but just not the story
Elise
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I never thought that I would really love this book. I thought it looked okay. I was wrong. It was great.
Jessie
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Another great edition to Dear America!
Angela Boland
This one is a little boring for me. I definitely prefer some of the other western themed books in this series. But it's still sweet and has some inspiring thoughts :)
Jacquie
Jul 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: junior-fiction
A fictional journal of a girl on the Santa Fe Trail in 1848. I love these Dear America Books.
Carolynne
Aug 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fictionalized account of Florrie's journey west. Predictable, but an easy read.
Raegan
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reasons I love this book:
Historically Acuraate
Didn't stop after arrival at Santa Fe
Relatable Characters
  • Love Thy Neighbor: The Tory Diary of Prudence Emerson (Dear America)
  • Land of the Buffalo Bones: The Diary of Mary Ann Elizabeth Rodgers, An English Girl in Minnesota (Dear America)
  • Valley of the Moon: The Diary of María Rosalía de Milagros, Sonoma Valley, Alta Valley, California, 1846, (Dear America)
  • Survival in the Storm: The Dust Bowl Diary of Grace Edwards (Dear America)
  • Look to the Hills: The Diary of Lozette Moreau, a French Slave Girl (Dear America)
  • Hear My Sorrow: The Diary of Angela Denoto, a Shirtwaist Worker, New York City 1909 (Dear America)
  • My Face to the Wind: The Diary of Sarah Jane Price, a Prairie Teacher (Dear America)
  • A Time For Courage: The Suffragette Diary of Kathleen Bowen (Dear America)
  • When Christmas Comes Again: The World War I Diary of Simone Spencer (Dear America)
  • Where Have All the Flowers Gone?: The Diary of Molly MacKenzie Flaherty (Dear America)
  • Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: The Diary of Bess Brennan (Dear America)
  • Seeds of Hope: The Gold Rush Diary of Susanna Fairchild (Dear America)
  • My Secret War: The World War II Diary of Madeline Beck, Long Island, New York 1941 (Dear America)
  • A Light in the Storm: The Civil War Diary of Amelia Martin, Fenwick Island, Delaware, 1861 (Dear America)
  • I Walk in Dread: The Diary of Deliverance Trembley, Witness to the Salem Witch Trials, Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1691 (Dear America)
  • With the Might of Angels: The Diary of Dawnie Rae Johnson, Hadley, Virginia, 1954 (Dear America)
"Sometimes I think I am Judy Moody," says Megan McDonald, author of the Judy Moody series, the Stink series, and THE SISTERS CLUB. "I'm certainly moody, like she is. Judy has a strong voice and always speaks up for herself. I like that."

For Megan McDonald, being able to speak up for herself wasn't always easy. She grew up as the youngest of five sisters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Her father, an

Dear America (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • A Journey to the New World: The Diary of Remember Patience Whipple, Mayflower, 1620 (Dear America)
  • The Winter of Red Snow: The Revolutionary War Diary of Abigail Jane Stewart, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, 1777 (Dear America)
  • When Will This Cruel War Be Over?: The Civil War Diary of Emma Simpson, Gordonsville, Virginia, 1864 (Dear America)
  • A Picture of Freedom: The Diary of Clotee, a Slave Girl, Belmont Plantation, Virginia 1859 (Dear America)
  • Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie: The Oregon Trail Diary of Hattie Campbell (Dear America)
  • So Far From Home: the Diary of Mary Driscoll, an Irish Mill Girl, Lowell, Massachusetts, 1847 (Dear America)
  • I Thought My Soul Would Rise and Fly: The Diary of Patsy, a Freed Girl, Mars Bluff, South Carolina, 1865 (Dear America)
  • West to a Land of Plenty: The Diary of Teresa Angelino Viscardi (Dear America)
  • Dreams In The Golden Country: the Diary of Zipporah Feldman, a Jewish Immigrant Girl, New York City, 1903 (Dear America)
  • Standing in the Light: The Captive Diary of Catharine Carey Logan, Delaware Valley, Pennsylvania, 1763 (Dear America)