Start by marking “Signs, Wonders and a Baptist Preacher: How Jesus Flipped My World Upside Down” as Want to Read:
Signs, Wonders and a Baptist Preacher: How Jesus Flipped My World Upside Down

Signs, Wonders and a Baptist Preacher: How Jesus Flipped My World Upside Down

Baptist Preacher Takes the "Weird" Out of the Supernatural
Published March 15th 2013 by Chosen Books (first published March 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Signs, Wonders and a Baptist Preacher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Signs, Wonders and a Baptist Preacher

Robert
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
I stopped at page 40 for the longest time, but when I started reading again it was exactly what I needed today. The basis of healing ministry is intimacy with God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I am the Beloved, and the Father is kind.

I have been afraid to step out because I am not an extrovert. But I encountered a suggestion that feels freeing: Put on Facebook that you're willing to pray for anyone who asks you, right then. For some reason, that's a big psychological burden off, right there.
Jenna
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I grew up Baptist, so when I saw this title I thought, "Which one does not belong?"

This is an easy read, not too theological (because that's not the point), and sometimes is a little all over the place. At times I would finish a section and think, "Wait, what was the point of that?" He tells entertaining stories that are so loosely connected you wonder why they are put in there, and then beats the same point over and over again. I started skimming on the back sections.

But I am glad for this bo
Angela
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this book by Chad Norris.
Roger Leonhardt
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book is hard to review. On the one hand it is well written and easy to read and on the other hand the content is a little different to say the least.

In my Christian journey, I have seen a lot of things.

When I was first saved, I wanted to experience God in a powerful way. Because of my immaturity, I followed many who said "God is over here" They claimed seeing angels, hearing and seeing Jesus physically, being transported, and seeing people raise from the dead.

I took them at there word. Many
Violet

The night Chad Norris and his friends held their first healing service, this Baptist pastor, who had become dissatisfied with his ministry and how little it resembled the ministry of Jesus, was as nervous as anyone. When a blind woman came up for prayer and left seeing, they were all thrilled—and not a little shocked. Norris writes about that night:

“Until that moment I had never thought I could pray and see someone get better …. But then I began to consider, why don’t we see more things like thi
christianchicklit
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LOVED THIS BOOK!

Chad Norris – you are a new favorite of mine. Pls write more books.

In a wonderfully authentic, conversational writing style the reader feels as if they get to know intimate details about Chad Norris and his faith walk. The questions that he asks should challenge any Christian today:

• “Jesus did three things while He was here. He preached the Kingdom, healed the sick and cast demons out of people. Yet, how easy it is to find thriving churches – particularly in America – that do
Victor Gentile
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Chad Norris in his new book, “Signs, Wonders and a Baptist Preacher” published by Chosen Books shows us How Jesus Flipped My World Upside Down.

From the back cover: What If the Supernatural Were Really Real?

Growing up in a traditional Southern Baptist home, Chad Norris loved sweet tea, football and Jesus. But when he realized that the Jesus he had heard about in Sunday school and seminary didn’t measure up to the Jesus he read about in the Bible, he began to ask questions.

He was unprepared for th
Jalynn Patterson
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
About the Book:

Baptist Preacher Takes the "Weird" Out of the Supernatural

Demonstrating humor, candor, and personal vulnerability, this Southern Baptist preacher offers an entertaining, non-religious look at the Holy Spirit. He shares transparently, recounting his own history of depression and panic attacks until Jesus rescued him and showed him how to do the works of the Father. As Norris explains, "I had no paradigm for that." Then he challenges readers to engage with the supernatural.

Even thou
Cheryl
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
To some people this book will seem controversial, or strange or “off” or bad doctrine. I don’t think so and I appreciated the easy-to-read-and-understand way of speaking it contains. Not only that I found it refreshing. This author actually believes that we can do the things that Jesus and the disciples did in the gospels and Acts.

This book is about how God can use an ordinary, common, even “messy” person to work miracles and how He can use you, too. One theme seems to be, “if Chad can do it, yo
Gail Welborn
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
***An account of a Baptist preacher's empowerment by the Holy Spirit***

Southern Baptists are not known to favor prophecy, speak in tongues or operate in any of the spiritual gifts. Craig Van Buseck, CBN Ministries Director writes about the denominations “Struggles with the Holy Spirit” and says, “The official Southern Baptist stand…is in opposition to the open manifestation of the Holy Spirit.”
www.cbn.com/spirituallife/churchandmi...
However, Chad Norris’s account of his “supernatural” encounte
Linda Walters
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
He shares honestly and openly; the ups and downs he has gone through. He doesn't has all the answers and is quick to say so; also sharing that many of the things he experienced were way out of his comfort zone and made him uncomfortable because as he says, He's a baptist to the bone. His search for more of Jesus caused him to reach past that and ask the uncomfortable questions. Even some of the titles and sub-titles he used grab your attention. One of my favorite? "Believe or Follow"? Simple bu ...more
Tanya
Mar 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Overall "Signs, Wonders and a Baptist Preacher" is a good book. The author is very sincere. I even looked up his picture on the web. He has a very genuine smile, not that toothy marketing-like American smile, but a smile that makes you believe him.

Chad Norris opens his world to us in this book. He has a good sense of humor and he likes food. I can relate to that! The juice story that starts on p.37 (ebook version) is hilarious!! Do not miss that story or you will miss a good laugh! So the book h
Brandon H.
Chad Norris, is a down to earth pastor who wanted more of God in his life and ministry and got what he asked for. He makes a passionate case for letting God use us in supernatural ways without being showy and flamboyant. He also makes the case that God will often use "normal people" to do extraordinary things.

This book reminded me of Dr. Bill Hamon's prophetic words a few years back that spoke to what he called, "The Saint's Movement." It was a coming movement where God was going to raise up a
Brent Soderstrum
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-read
I won this book through GoodReads First Read program.

I think Norris had some great points that he brought out in this book. How we should all be praying for others and being used by God to do his supernatural works on earth. Healing, prophesying etc shouldn't be suprising or scary to us. It should be something we do naturally. We need to just trust God and do it. He also covers at the end of the book those times when we pray for healing for someone and they aren't healed. It isn't us, we didn't
Ginny Jaques
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a refreshing book that challenges the parameters we want to put around God and how he operates in our world today. The author recognizes that many people will have problems with his ideas--will think he is crazy. But I believe he's crazy in a good way.

Chad Norris discovered, almost "accidentally" and much to his surprise and chagrin, that God still does miraculous things to show people he loves them. God answers prayers and touches people when we ask him to. His touch doesn't always hea
Joan
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Chad is just a regular guy God uses to do miraculous things. He wanted to see happen in his own life what he saw in the gospels. He developed an intimate relationship with the Father. He sees his experiences as the norm for the church in the future. There will be no more charismatic and non-charismatic churches but only churches were God uses people. We will see the supernatural in traditional churches. By his own admission, Chad is not a theologian (although he is a pastor). We lay people can e ...more
Mary Kenyon
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but found it odd that the foreword was basically a "warning" about what was wrong with the book. Was it tongue-in-cheek or a backhanded compliment? Whatever it was, I actually agreed with the foreword writer. The author's anger toward God was actually over the top, considering it was mostly based on a loss of a beloved grandparent during his childhood. And the author IS repetitive in his writing. But there are many good points. I agree that the more we live our life in the w ...more
Bill
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Wonderful Story of Jesus Demonstrating His Love and Showing There is Much More

Chad uses a very conversational and unassuming style to relate the pure goodness of God's love in breaking through his darkness and surprising him, though experience, to discover that the works He did in the Gospels and Acts are fully accessible for His Bride here and now. He is passionate about this discovery, but also very compassionate towards those who still find it all pretty freaky.

Jill
May 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I am giving this book 3 stars because it is a little confusing and disjointed, and it seemed like the chapters titles didn't always fit the content of what he was talking about. I've never written a book though, so I don't hold this against him. However, I would give it 5 starts for heart as that was evident in his writing and I was inspired by the things God is teaching him.
Mary
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A humorous and realistic life telling on one mans walk with faith. I appreciated the light hearted way in which Norris approached this book while keeping the importance of ones faith relationship as the ever present back bone. It definitely had me go deeper in my own understanding and open my eyes to understandings that surround me.
James
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Quick read memoir of a charismatic baptist describing how he entered more fully into the 'super-natural' life of following Jesus. He contends that an openness to the Spirit need not make you odd (though it might make you weird). I enjoyed this for what it was. I will post a whole review on my blog (thoughtsprayersandsongs.com) on 4/12/13
Alan Saint Andrew
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. Straight talk about things that come with intimacy with the Father through the Son.
Jon Beadle
An accessible take on one preachers search for more!
Jill
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Good story but a little repetitive. Would liked to see more cohesion.
Joshua

• The Ultimate Conversation
  • Taylor's Gift: A Courageous Story of Giving Life and Renewing Hope
  • Makai Queen (Makai #1)
  • Beyond Heaven's Door
  • These Are the Days of Elijah: How God Uses Ordinary People to Do Extraordinary Things
  • Finding God in the Dark: Faith, Disappointment, and the Struggle to Believe
  • God's Calling: How a Cheap Cell Phone and a Homeless Teen Transformed My Life and My Faith
  • My Next Step: An Extraordinary Journey of Healing and Hope
  • Chasing God: One Man's Miraculous Journey in the Heart of the City
  • A Girl After God's Own Heart®: A Tween Adventure with Jesus
  • Rich in Love: When God Rescues Messy People
  • While America Sleeps: A Wake-up Call for the Post-9/11 Era
  • The Full Armor of God: Defending Your Life from Satan's Schemes
“I do not want to be a part of a church that can make it without the Holy Spirit.” 2 likes