Start by marking “Beyond the Hidden Sky (Star Trails Tetralogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Hidden Sky (Star Trails Tetralogy, #1)

Beyond the Hidden Sky (Star Trails Tetralogy #1)

4.51  ·  Rating details ·  41 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
This first volume of the Star Trails Tetralogy, a science fiction series for teens and young adults, begins with a familiar scene, a heated conflict between two siblings. Creena Brightstar is 14, her brother, Dirck, 17 and neither has any clue how their latest altercation will change not only their lives but that of their entire family forever. The story begins with the Br ...more
Published July 6th 2012 by Kalliope Rising Press

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Hidden Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Hidden Sky

Boyko Ovcharov
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beyond the limits!

Creena Brightstar is an example of a space adventurer, full of enthusiasm, hopes and gut feelings. A character-driven plot, a space opera that takes you to deep space, both literally and metaphorically. The battle is actually between reason and emotions, order and creativity, status quo and change. Well written, researched and combined with the author's expertise. The human side of the story is really touching and enjoyable.
Mike Billington
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have been a fan of science fiction dating back to the Eisenhower years when I first read stories by Poul Anderson, Lester Del Rey and other writers of that really remarkable era.
Marcha Fox is, in my opinion, a worthy successor to those writers who first enthralled me with their tales of other worlds, other times and "others."
That said, let me add that in 'Beyond the Hidden Sky' she has fashioned an excellent adventure story in the classic vein of those earlier writers with the extra added attr
T.L. Chester
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of this author. Beyond the hidden sky was an incredible story, I love technical details and was not disappointed. The characters are great, I recommend this read. I love her website as well, Valkyrie astrology, very compelling and intelligent author.

Elle Klass
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beyond The Hidden Sky by Marcha Fox is a brilliant sci-fi, young adult novel. Creena Brightstar a pre-adult who is a contradiction to her upbringing on Mira 3 where rules and logic dictate society. As a teen who is an Esheronian/ Miran mix she relies on intuition and emotion instead of logic more than is maybe good for her. The Brightstar family is on a transport from their home planet Mira 3 to Cyraria when Creena stumbles upon a pod which sends her on an excursion to Verdaris a planet full of ...more
Greg Spry
I enjoyed a great many aspects of this book about a teenager who must survive on her own in a dangerous galaxy after getting separated from her family. Creena is a likeable protagonist, and her adventures and unique supporting cast (especially the non-humans) are entertaining. I appreciated the author's smooth flow, unique voice, and the creation of her own tech and terminology. Snurkles!

Unfortunately, the novel too often struggled to hold my attention. Much of the prose consists of characters s
Martha Fawcett
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The multi-talented Marcha Fox offers QUINTESSENTIAL SCIENCE FICTION in BEYOND the HIDDEN SKY.
The book revolves around Creena Brightstar, a head-strong fourteen year-old girl of mixed bloodlines. Her mother, or merama, is a soft-spoken, well-mannered Miran. Creena’s brilliant father, or merapa, is Esheron. The Esheron are known as a people with a need for solitude and their illusive, introverted ways. Creena was born and reared on “the perfectly ordered world,” of Mira III where logic and reason
Kate Rauner
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Two races of humans, several alien species, multiple starships and planets - this story ranges across a galaxy.
The Morningstar family is moving from a safe but restrictive planet to a dangerous outpost world. Creena is a young teenager, a hybrid of the two human races, angry at her brother, in constant trouble for breaking rules, and also my favorite character. As her family travels via starship to their new world, she seems to be accidentally trapped in an escape pod that launches to the wrong
Ceri London
A joy to read. Imaginative hard sci-fi with real-life characters

Imagine growing up in a regimented, well-ordered, pristine bubble. Then imagine you burst that bubble accidentally and your new playground suddenly opens up to include the galaxy, but you're on your own, your family is travelling farther and farther away, you're trapped in this escape pod, and there's a virtual nanny telling you what to do. Imagine you're a natural rebel.

Creena Brightstar is a rebel.

Dirck is her brother. Dirck is du
Cassandra Ulrich
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
“Beyond the Hidden Sky” by Marcha Fox is an exciting tale about Creena Brightstar, a headstrong teen from planet Mira III, her father Lauren, mother Sharra, troublesome older brother Dirck and her pleasant to be around younger brother Deven. The story begins with the Brightstar family on their way to Cyraria, another planet where Lauren is initially set up with a great paying job to determine the best ways to use the soil on the planet’s surface. Creena makes a huge detour when a fight with Dirc ...more
Colm Herron
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
THIS DREAM OF A BOOK

Up until last Tuesday my experience of science fiction was limited to the Star Trek and Star War series and Douglas Adams. But being at a loose end I decided to give Beyond The Hidden Sky a lash (as we say here in Ireland). And what an experience! For the four daydreaming days that I spent reading this shimmering star of a novel I moved house from Earth to Verdaris, a planet that spins inconveniently in the path of a cluster of comets. And that's the least of its problems.

Sta
Ginna Moran
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As an avid YA reader, I was pleasantly surprised to have won this novel in a giveaway. It’s been quite a while since I’ve read sci-fi, and I was thrust into a riveting, highly detailed and believable world from page one. Beyond the Hidden Sky is a space adventure surrounding the journey of Creena Brightstar and her family as they navigate the uncertainties of space all while trying to reunite after a deliberate scheme by villainous Troy tore the Brightstars apart in the beginning.

From spaceship
Chessy The Cat
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fourteen-year-old Creena Brightstar questions everything, especially The Laws. She has racked up an impressive number of noncompliance reports (NCRs) on her naterra, much to the chagrin of her seventeen-year-old brother, Dirck. When her father is unexpectedly transferred to another planet her stubborn curious streak puts her into dangers she never dreamed of before.

Fox’s first novel in the Star Trails Tetralogy, Beyond the Hidden Sky, is set in the middle of a power struggle for complete univer
R.E. Weber
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beyond the hidden sky is an enjoyable science fiction adventure, centring on a teenage protagonist, Creena Brightstar, who is thrust into an exciting adventure when the escape pod she is hiding in is suddenly and unexpectedly ejected into deep space. Separated from her family, she must fight for survival in a dangerous and unpredictable universe, dealing with all manner of strange characters, including a grouchy robot, bug eyed monsters and dangerous aliens. It has lots of enjoyable twists and t ...more
Yvette Calleiro
Jul 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I am not a big sci-fi reader, but this book caught my eye, so I took a chance on it. The characters' voices were well-created. The descriptions were very detailed, which I guess is extremely important in a sci-fi book. Every ship, every device, and the living conditions were described so well that even someone like me, who has no background in reading sci-fi, could visualize it without feeling lost.

As a movie, this book would drive me crazy because everything takes places over a few days, but as
Maggie Thom
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a really good story that brings to life a whole new galaxy. It was very cool to travel through and explore this new dimension with Creena, who is learning how vast, different and dangerous the universe can be. Creena is your typical impulsive, emotional teenager, making decisions without really thinking them through. It's one thing when you're a teenager on earth making those kind of choices but when you are in space, it adds a whole other problem. She finds herself in an escape pod floa ...more
Marc Secchia
I've two voracious bookworms aged 10 and 9 respectively, who ate this book and came begging for more. Fantastic read, my girls want you to know. If you're a parent like me with younger kids who read well above their age group, then you're always looking for clean but challenging fiction that they won't finish in an hour.

This is science fiction which is thoughtfully written and appropriate for a younger audience, without compromise on the 'hard' side of science and technology. Plenty to do with
Larry B Gray
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beyond the Hidden Sky: Volume 1 of the Star Trails Tetralogy by Marcha Fox is sci-fi at its best. This space opera is fast paced and action packed and will leave you breathless.

I really liked the way the author developed a storyline that is full of plot twist and adventure. It will keep you on your toes as the multiple plot lines progress. The author's storytelling style works well in this type of book and makes it easy to follow and very believable.

Marcha Fox did an excellent job of creating an
Kim Cox
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable Sci-Fi Adventure

"Beyond the Hidden Sky" is an enjoyable science fiction adventure. The main character, Creena Brightstar, relies on her wits and gut feelings among a people who apply logic and order. They can't understand her. Her curiosity gets her into trouble when she's thrust into an adventure that takes her to unknown worlds where there are dangerous manipulators who want her to do their bidding. Creena has the ability to fool those who believe they know what she will do in the si
Rhoda D'Ettore
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A word for panic does not even exist of Mira III. It is not needed." Now imagine being propelled from such a world to one in which panic ensues. The result? Culture Shock. Throw in some chaos, aliens, humanoids and sci-fi language, and March Fox drops us off in an imaginative world similar to Star Wars or Star Trek. There is these awesome super-computer that speaks in rhymes, and more.The plots and sub-plots include family values, a family being uprooted, a "pre-adult" who causes trouble for th ...more
Katy
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg-keepers
The cool cover made me want to read this book, and the fact that the author has a degree in physics and worked for NASA. The story was well-written with great pacing and fascinating details. The main characters were compelling and sympathetic, the different worlds were easy to "see" with organic descriptions arising out of the plot and situations, and the scientific details added greatly to the story without sounding like something out of a textbook. The only thing jarring was the one character ...more
Simon Okill
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action, fantasy, scifi
Beyond The Hidden Sky (Star Trails Tetralogy, #1) by Marcha A. Fox is a magnificent space opera of epic proportions. The story line is pure brilliance, the characters are so believable, the writing is scintillating and every page is full of vivid descriptions that hook the reader straight away and never lets up. I am in love with this series and so will you be.
A family is on its way to a new home on a distant planet but sinister forces separate them scattering them throughout the galaxy to fend
Anna Othitis
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing Science YA fictions for audiences of all ages

Beyond the Hidden Sky by Marcha Fox series are science fiction thrillers focusing on amazing exploits of the Brightstar family.
The stories becomes classic battles between good and evil of the universe. The consequences of right and wrong are forces throughout the cosmos. seeking to expedition.
Rhyming verses shows off the authors poetic and talented skills. The beautiful covers are attractively designed,
Although geared for the YA market, it i
Susanne Leist
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The story centers around Creena, who accidentally (or maybe not), gets trapped in an escape pod and gets fired out into space. As most teenagers, she doesn't like rules or her older brother. The Brightstar family are traveling on a spaceship, leaving their home planet Mira III. Captain Troy has plans for Creena and her family. Not good ones. As punishment for Creena's escape, the family is split up.
Creena lands on the planet Verdaris. She flees from strange creatures. She finds a friend in a tro
Christoph Fischer
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“Beyond the Hidden Sky (Star Trails Tetralogy Book 1)” by Marcha Fox is an excellent Science Fiction Novel that seems aimed at both adults and younger readers. Adults will enjoy the scientific and concise description of technology, while younger readers will love the young characters, robots and many other entertaining ingredients.
The book has great charm and is easy to read for most parts, but very thought-through and complex in others. Knowing the author as the accomplished writer of concise A
Chris Birdy
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After starting the second book in the series, I put it down and went back to this first book. The reason for this was that the book was so engrossing and well-written that I wanted to start Creena Brighstar's adventures from the begining. This story starts with the Brighstar relocating from their perfectly ordered home planet to Cyraira. Creena and her 17 year old brother have another dispute and Creena finds herself in an escape pod on her way to Verdaris. The adventures continue. This superb t ...more
Brian
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fabulous read. It contains everything a good sci-fi book needs including an author who knows her stuff.

The story follows a family across the expanse of known face and maybe a little beyond. As you read, don't make assumptions as to where the story is heading, you will be wrong! There is hatred, intrigue, class struggles, back stabbing, death, along with amazing science!

The author writes in with a style that flows as water but with the substance of burgundy.

If you are hesitating about g
Becky
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-read
Oh my goodness I am so glad I came across this series! I love young adult science fiction and Marcha Fox has "put the science back in science fiction!" She worked for NASA for over 20 years and adds some incredible math and science that even Orson Scott Card can't touch! I read all three of the books in the series in the same two weeks and haven't got the fourth book yet but will let you know if it is as good! Yeah!
Martha
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't like the prologue. It was hard to follow. However I always give a book a couple of chapters and it quickly became apparent it was a really good story. I am not a young adult so I sometimes got bogged down with some of the technical stuff. I loved the story though. I found good character development and was hooked enough not to put the book down until I finished it. I really liked chapter 19. I look forward to book 2.
P.S. Winn
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished three of Marcha Fox's books and they are all five stars and I highly recommend them. Great job with the writing. The novels draw you in and keep you compelled and anxious for the next in the series.
Sterling Walker
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Gave it another shot because she's a local author (I tried reading it before but couldn't get past chapter two). Interesting premise but Fox weighs down the story with the science. I know she worked for NASA but trying to explain in painstaking detail how things work takes the 'fiction' out of 'science fiction' and loses my interest. Other people might like all the technical details, but I just found them irritating.
The first book in the Star Trails Tetralogy, "Beyond the Hidden Sky", is free on most online sales channels which you can find here: https://books2read.com/u/bOr8j0

Join Preferred Readers to receive notice of giveaways, special deals, events and public appearances! http://eepurl.com/bn0N7v

Marcha Fox was born in Peekskill, New York and has lived in California, Utah and Texas in the course of raising
More about Marcha A. Fox

Star Trails Tetralogy (4 books)
  • A Dark of Endless Days (Star Trails Tetralogy, #2)
  • A Psilent Place Below (Star Trails Tetralogy #3)
  • Refractions of Frozen Time (Star Trails Tetralogy, #4)
“Matter and energy are equivalent, according to the equation E=mc2, where E stand for energy, m for mass and c for the speed of light,' 'Merapa explained. 'Matter can't be transported at the speed of light but energy can. Therefore, during a time shift transformation, matter is converted to energy then condenses back. In other words all the molecules in your body have been changed from matter to energy then back again.'
'Wow. It's a wonder it's not fatal,' Dirck said.
'Sometimes it is. If any transcription errors occur between the DNA and RNA in your vital organs you're all but dead.”
3 likes
“His father gave him a funny look as the entire spectrum of emotion usually eclipsed by control displayed instantaneously in his dark eyes. Then 'Merapa started to laugh. Dirck literally leaned away, beyond shock as the person he trusted and admired more than anyone else in the entire universe totally lost it.” 3 likes