Start by marking “Constance Markievicz: Irish Revolutionary” as Want to Read:
Constance Markievicz: Irish Revolutionary

Constance Markievicz: Irish Revolutionary

A biography of Countess Constance Georgina (Gore-Booth) Markievicz (1863-1927). She was a child of Henry Gore-Booth, heir to the baronetcy of Lissadell, County Sligo, and of his wife, Georgina Hill of Tickhill Castle in Yorkshire, whose grandfather was Lord Scarborough. Shortly after her birth, Constance was brought to Lissadell Court in County Sligo. She went to Paris to ...more
Published January 1st 1988 by New York University Press

To ask other readers questions about Constance Markievicz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Constance Markievicz

AnneMarie
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: irish, non-fiction
Wonderful portrait of a fascinating woman, probably the most interesting of all Irish revolutionary figures. Digs deep into contradictions of a remarkable person, both out of time and class. Walks the fine line between being informative without being dry or staid.
Andrew Rogers
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every so often, I feel compelled to push aside everything else I should or could be reading to focus my attention on some new topic. Currently, that topic is modern Irish history. While a biography of Constance Markievicz might seem an odd place to begin exploring this topic, so much larger than one person's life, Anne Haverty's biography actually turned out to be an excellent introduction. That's because she not only tells her subject's story in an engaging way, but also places her squarely in ...more
Jackie
Apr 07, 2010 rated it liked it
She was wild. Daring. Took care of her self. Wore pants (when it wasn't very common.) Shot a gun.

I've always been very anti-gun but she makes it seems like a very useful talent.

I have an Irish attachment and interest, so maybe I'm not the best critic; in some ways I thought the book could have been better written-- but overall I liked it. I think the key is to focus on her and not so much as what is or isn't being accomplished in the revolution(s).

This is a quote from one of the revolutionaries
Rai
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fantastic biography of one of Ireland's most famous women! Well written and objective in its portrayal of Constance Markievicz, it was actually quite fun to read even though it was read for college (Forced reading never equals enjoyment of a book). I'll definitely be buying my own copy of this so I can reread for enjoyment.

4 / 5
Klaudia
Jun 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting woman. Good read. Was everyone in the 1920's so dramatic?
Lianne
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
glad to see this author to write detailed life about Constance Markieviz. there is a very little reference about her in the world of books. She is one of my hero.
Aoife Cooney