Start by marking “Feast for 10” as Want to Read:
Feast for 10

Feast for 10

A counting book that features an African-American family shopping for food, preparing dinner, and sitting down to eat. Lively read-aloud text paired with bright collage illustrations.
Published April 20th 1993 by Clarion Books (first published 1993)

Start your review of Feast for 10
Ursula
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Wonderful little story. A family shops for, prepares, and gathers to eat a meal. Splendidly happy, and wonderful illustrations. ENJOY! :D

June
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Counting, food and shopping requests
One of my favorites to use with younger children for food/Thanksgiving time programs. Very simple counting story about a family going shopping and cooking together and creating a feast. 11/21/12

Used in Lap Time this year. 11/29/13

Used for a PreK class doing grocery shopping.

Used for 2's and 3's school outreach.

Used in Lap Time for food theme program. 10/14/14

Used as a short book to end family story time for PreK 4's. Several children came up to point out Grandma, Grandpa, Mother, baby, sisters,
Mary Ann
This counting book follows an African-American family going to the grocery story and then home to make dinner together. Simple rhymes are easy to read aloud: "Two pumpkins for pie / Three chickens to fry." The illustrations celebrate the children's role throughout and are full of warm family love. A delightful, modern story that still feels fresh today.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This counting book goes from one to 10 and depicits a family grocery shopping (1 cart, 2 pumpkins for pie, etc.) when it gets to 10 it starts over again and counts up but for the making the meal process. I almost wanted it to count backwards. Fun counting book and illustrations anyway.

Janet
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved this counting book that also weaves a good story of shopping and preparing a dinner and sharing, but it remains a simple text.
Belise Michel
It is a great book to introduce healthy habits to young readers. You can talk about shopping list, help count items, cooking, going to the store, and family time.
Andréa
Perfect as a Thanksgiving story but, since it doesn't specifically reference the holiday, it can be used year-round
Kris Dersch
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So sweet and wonderful. I love how real the characters of the kids are for a book with such sparse text.
Cori
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
count to 10 twice and the dinner is done. from shopping to cooking to eating. great mix of colors and objects to count. teamwork and family
Mama Bibliosoph
A classic! An African American family shops at the grocery store, cooks dinner, and eats together. Feast for 10 is a moderately advanced counting concept book. Each page has a scene from the story featuring something that is being counted. The numeral is shown and the sight word for that numeral begins the text for the page. The colorful, and often patterned illustrations, are offset against a plain white background that perfectly focuses a child's attention on the people, what they are doing, a ...more
Katie
Jan 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018
Could they cook anything more stereotypical? The only thing that was missing was watermelon. Disappointed.
Takee Jobe
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Feast for 10 by Cathryn Falwell is a children’s picture book. This is an ideal read for children ages 2-5. Feast for 10 is a rhyming counting book that illustrates an African –American family going grocery shopping, preparing dinner, setting the table, and sitting down to eat as a family. The picture book begins with a mother and her four children heading into the grocery store, “1 cart into the grocery store” and ends with “10 hands to help load the car.” Then… the number rhyme begins again whe ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
Dec 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-00-04
Feast For 10 is a warm, rhythmic story about a family taking a trip to the grocery store and preparing a meal to enjoy together. Each page introduces a number with an action: "One cart into the grocery store/ Two pumpkins for pie/ Three chickens to fry..." and so on, counting up to ten twice.

The book has much to commend it: on a cultural level, the story features a large family, which is cheerfully cooperative and hardworking without being annoyingly sweet. The children play an important role in
Joe
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I gave this book 5 stars because I personally enjoy it and it seems to score in the "best" category for all of the quality elements of a story as indicated by Mary Hynes-Berry. The characters and illustrations are interesting and compelling. The text allows for in-depth and adaptable conversations that can relate directly to each child's personal human experience. The language seems to invite students to discuss how their experience with food and family might be similar or different to the exper ...more
Randee Bontrager
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: el-230
Feast for 10 by Cathryn Falwell is a counting book involving African Americans. This book interested me because they involve the actual number and in words. This will help the students learn how to count easily and understand that there are several ways to show numbers. The family is getting food for their feast they are going to prepare.

The intended audience for this book would be for a Kindergarten or first grade classroom. To use this book in an elementary classroom would be when they are ta
Leyan Ammar
Apr 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Feast for 10 is a great picture book for kids learning math for the first time. It also features an African American family – something we don’t see often in story books. I liked that the book counted from one to ten and then counted once more from one to ten. In my opinion, I think the story would have been a bit more challenging for young readers if the countdown was reverse on the second time through. The illustrations in this book are bold and grasp you as a reader. Great to use in classroom ...more
Erin
Remembering to review old story time books!

I've used this one several times, and it's great for toddler and young preschool groups. It's got a strong rhythm too it, which tends to draw in young children, and it's a nice combination of everyday life activities (shopping/cooking/eating), and counting, as well as being a great example of everyday diversity.

It tends to get used a lot at thanksgiving, but it could work for any time of food, family, or counting program, since no holiday is specifical
Rakisha
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents of toddlers & preschoolers
Shelves: ffy-readlouds
This is a really wonderful concept book featuring an African-American family that prepares a meal starting with a trip to the grocery store. The book will introduce children to food, numbers, and a traditional family of brown faces. Perfect for read alouds, flannel board stories, and a story & craft. Some health conscious parents might object to the mother frying the chicken, but aside from that, there is nothing objectionable abou this book. ...more
Nadine
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math-bookshelf
This would be a great asset to my classroom. It teaches counting from 1 through 10 with an African American family. I like that this book because of it's culturally responsive attributes. I appreciate that it portrays this family in a positive light. It's very relatable. It teaches 1 through 10, two times. First there's the grocery list in the supermarket, then there's the food preparation at home using the numbers. This a great way to introduce students to math concepts through counting.
Molly Robbins
This is a good book to use for sequencing for 3rd-5th grade. It has quite a few events and things that they buy at the grocery store so it would work better for older grades to read this book. It is difficult to remember most or all of the things they buy throughout the story in order. This was not my favorite book, it was a little boring and I did not feel like it was specific enough to use for a lesson on a subject other that just practice with the student reading the book.
Sarah Ziskend
Good for:
-teaching counting 1-10
-rhyming words/ end sounds
-Good read around book

As a teacher of mathematics, I could easily integrate this book into a variety of lesson plans,more specifically lesson plans revolving around number order and counting. I could do this book as a read aloud whole group, and then break my students off into centers where they must create their own unique math counting book.
Kate
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a great read-aloud for preschool storytime! As a family shops for ingredients for dinner, they count from one to ten - and as they cook, they count again. Children will love counting the number of items on each page, and the illustrations feature bold colors that will keep their attention. This is one that could fit into a lot of storytime themes - cooking, family, and counting are just a few that would apply.
Yiovana
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this story because not only do children relate to when they go grocery shopping with their family but they can also learn their counting. In this case they count from 1-10, a book most likely designed for children ages 3 and 4. Children can immediately age in the story, by predicting what number is next or counting the items on the pages according to the number shown. Using one to one correspondence. Definitely a good book to learn math concepts!
Princess
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: educ-378
Not only are we discussing family, but Thanksgiving is approaching so I decided to read A Feast for Ten to my children yesterday. I was a able to make a self to text connection because my family also eat the foods that were mentioned in the story. The children also named foods that they eat, some mentioned in the story, some not. So, the children were also able to make a text to self connection. While reading the story we counted the items to ensure they matched the number shown on the page.
Robby Burke
This is a family-centered book. Through the illustration of having fresh-baked pies, a baby asleep on its mother's shoulder, carrots being washed and peeled; it brings a sense of unity and family values. Even though individual pictures seem a bit bland, the overall impression here is heart-warming. The book is for ages 4-8.
Elizabeth McDonald
Cute counting board book! My three-month-old stares at the pictures, and my friend's two-year-old loves reading the story and talking about all the details in the illustrations. The story is a sweet rhyme about a family preparing and sharing a meal, while counting to ten not once but twice. I also like that the book features a black family - not enough picture books show people of color.
Em
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
My 14-month old thinks this is the best book of all time, and wants us to read it on repeat until we can't stand it anymore (seriously, at least 10x/day for the 4 days). What I like: Depicts a large family preparing to cook a meal. Counts from 1 to 10 twice.
Tessa Duncan
This is a simple counting book that tells the story of a family preparing for a holiday meal. The book counts to ten using the activities that the family does in order to prep for dinner. Perfect for younger readers learning to count.
Emilythefrog
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, simple counting book.
Also, it depicts a Black family, while the book's actual focus is counting and preparing a large meal for the family. This sort of diversity (representation) is very important to me.
Sandy
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: african
This very elementary counting book counts from 1 to 10 what it takes to feed a very hungry family of 10. The illustrations are definitely what makes this book worth reading.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Eating the Alphabet
  • Giggle, Giggle, Quack
  • Sheep in a Jeep
  • Blueberries for Sal
  • Sulwe
  • Go Away, Big Green Monster!
  • From Head to Toe
  • Sunny
  • Curious George Gets a Medal
  • Not a Box
  • Blue Hat, Green Hat
  • Trombone Shorty
  • Over in the Meadow
  • Everett Anderson's Goodbye
  • Snappsy the Alligator (Did Not Ask to Be in This Book)
  • Black Is a Rainbow Color