Start by marking “The Codex” as Want to Read:
The Codex

The Codex

These stories, originally appearing in The Crimson Pact anthologies as "The Transition," and "The Merging," follow an unsuspecting foreign exchange student named Sloan Boyle as a seemingly innocent interaction with a stranger in a Spanish Cafe leads to a dangerous series of events, and a weighty discovery that threatens everything Sloan every knew about this world, and his ...more
Published August 27th 2012 by Alliteration Ink

To ask other readers questions about The Codex, please sign up.
Justin Steve Barnes is narrating The Codex as we speak. I got the final files for review, which include Failed Crusade by Patrick Tracy and Paul Genesse,…moreSteve Barnes is narrating The Codex as we speak. I got the final files for review, which include Failed Crusade by Patrick Tracy and Paul Genesse, last night. It sounds fantastic! The Codex audiobook edition should be out within the next 30 days.(less)

Leslie Fisher
This was an enjoyable fantasy book that was actually several related short stories in one. I listened to the Audible version of this story, but I had kind of a hard time with the narrator. It sounded as if he was whispering most of the story (and no, I did not have the volume turned down). Other than that, it was fine. The stories went along at a good pace and drew me in. Overall, a good book and worth the read for fantasy fans.
Nick
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this audiobook in exchange for an honest review.

I'd never heard of this series or universe but was intrigued by the blurb, the first story is dark and fleshes out some of the backstory. The tone was good and it was an interesting listen, probably more so if you know of the books its based around but still intriguing without any foreknowledge.

The next stories are more urban fantasy set in our world and are linked together, again the tales can be dark at times but its a more
Simon West-Bulford
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was hoping for something longer but realized as soon as I got it that this was three short stories rolled into one. The first short is by another author contributing to the Crimson Pact series, the other two, which are linked, are by Justin.

The first story has all the makings and language of something that's dangerously walking a pretentious tightrope, but it isn't pretentious (at least, I don't think so). It's a confident piece packed with a raw and emotional content that reminds me of the 'S
Stephen Fraser
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Prior to getting this book I was not aware of the Author Justin Swapp or his work. I picked it up for a quick read to fill some time. I figured that the only think I would waste was a couple hours. Boy how wrong I was. The Book as it turns out is part of the Crimson Pact collection of stories. Which I didn't find out about till I finished the book. When I first started reading the book I felt like I had been dropped into the middle of a story and things were hard to piece together I almost put t ...more
Geoff Sturtevant
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great stories, based on an awesome novela called "Failed Crusade." The tone of the whole thing reminds me of the world Dan Simmons created with Hyperion. Good, tight writing, enjoyable stories. Hope he writes more stories in the world of the Codex
Deedra
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the stories in this book.I found Steve Barnes to be a good narrator. I especially liked the Codex itself.I was given this book free for an honest review.
Michael Flanagan
A book based on another book by another author is always fraught with danger but Codex has managed to avoid the pitfalls. This is a collection of stories that fit into the world of Crimson Pact. The stories do well to keep the thread of the original narrative running through them. A very interesting peak into a fascinating world.
Kevin
Apr 22, 2013 rated it liked it
The Codex covers part of an on going battle between demons and demon-slayers. It has has some potential, but feels more like a couple chapters from a book rather then a complete story.
Dennis
Jun 17, 2016
Nikki Richardson
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I originally heard about this book from Justin Swapp, himself. He's a great guy who, in my opinion, deserves a little recognition. I think Justin is incredible with tone and subtleties. He has beautiful descriptions, and really makes his characters feel alive. His short stories are dramatic. I only recommend his work if you have the stomach for SciFi and high fantasy stories though. The codex is violent, but it has its moments.
Ed
Sep 03, 2014
Dragonr
Dec 20, 2014
Audiobooks: The Codex (Demon hunting) 9 48 Feb 13, 2017 03:05PM
Audiobooks: The Codex --- Exchange for an Honest Review 8 33 Apr 27, 2016 09:03PM
Free 17 Chapter Excerpt of The Magic Shop: https://www.instafreebie.com/free/xt1pO

Justin was born with an active imagination on a U.S. naval base in Spain, but has spent most of his life in the shadows of the Rocky Mountains of Utah. He is bilingual, and has lived all over the world. He has four children; two boys, and two girls, and one wife. He doesn't have any pets that he's aware of, but his c