Jump to ratings and reviews

Jack Noble #4

Noble Intentions

Jack Noble. Assassin for hire. Former Marine and government agent. He makes no mistakes. He passes no judgement. He feels no remorse. So why the hell does he stop to help a lost child on a busy sidewalk moments before he's to complete a deal with one of the east coast's top crime bosses?

This simple decision places Jack in unfamiliar territory. He has become the hunted.

Noble Intentions: Season One is a thrilling and suspenseful story of underworld crime, government secrets, and heart-pounding action.

Warning: This novel depicts realistic violence with real consequences. Some scenes might be too intense for the faint of heart.

AUTHOR'S NOTE ON READING SEQUENCE:
Initially, there were two planned series featuring Jack Noble: the Noble Intentions series and the Jack Noble novels. This caused some confusion over which order the books should be read, etc. This page has been updated to reflect the newest number system (Jack Noble #1, Jack Noble #2, etc.) and is also a chronological listing of these stories, but not the order in which they were written. Those who have followed along since the beginning know that I like to write out of order.

470 pages, Kindle Edition

First published August 28, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

L.T. Ryan

101 books846 followers
L.T. RYAN is a USA Today and Amazon bestselling author. The new age of publishing offered L.T. the opportunity to blend his passions for creating, marketing, and technology to reach audiences with his popular Jack Noble series.

Living in central Virginia with his wife, the youngest of his three daughters, and their three dogs, L.T. enjoys staring out his window at the trees and mountains while he should be writing, as well as reading, hiking, running, and playing with gadgets. See what he's up to at ltryan.com.

BOOKS IN THE JACK NOBLE SERIES
The Recruit (prequel short story)
The First Deception (prequel)
Noble Beginnings

BOOKS IN THE BEAR LOGAN SERIES
Ripple Effect
Blowback
Takedown
Deep State (coming January, 2020)

BOOKS IN THE CLARISSA ABBOT SERIES
Beyond Betrayal

BOOKS IN THE MITCH TANNER SERIES
The Depths of Darkness
Into the Darkness
Deliver Us From Darkness (coming soon)

Social Media Links

Contact L.T. Ryan at contact@ltryan.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
264 (3%)
1 star
131 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 304 reviews
Profile Image for Toni Osborne.
1,368 reviews45 followers
August 5, 2017
Book # 4 in the Jack Noble series

This thriller is a collection of five episodes sort of standalone stories that are smoothly meshed into one volume. This series follows the story of Jack Noble, an assassin for hire who practices his art with a clean conscience and he does it for the money.

The main characters:

Jack is an awesome cold blooded killer: rather smart, somewhat funny and definitely you want him on your side but deep down he has a heart of gold. Bear is his best friend, this guy has a soft spot also although don’t step on his toes. Clarissa is the only one that can keep Jack and Bear straight and can keep up with them. Mandy plays a good part in this story also, she the little girl that the group took under their wings.

The setting:

As in many thrillers the story brings you to different countries, where you hear different languages and meet good people and a lot of bad ones.

The story in a few words:

Jack stop to help a lost child moments before he's supposed to complete a deal with one of the east coast's top crime bosses? This is a decision that places Jack in unfamiliar territory. He's become the hunted and finds himself in a race against time to save those closest to him.

My thoughts:

This is a fast-pace suspense full of nonstop action, a bit far-fetched but captivating if you not squeamish with all the killings you will surely have a hoot reading this book. The style is rough and saccadic but this didn’t bother me after all it is mainly a story of killers, don’t forget these guys don’t pussyfoot around. I love all characters even brutal ones can be likable. The author knows how to develop an exciting plot with well-drawn characters to pull us in from start to finish. I would say it is a gripping page-turner
Profile Image for Al.
105 reviews2 followers
October 22, 2015
I was disappointed by this book. I had gotten this as a free Kindle e-book, and maybe I just started with the wrong book in the series, but I didn't find Jack Noble to be a likable character. I actually think it would have made a better book if Jack's friend & partner, Bear, were the main character. An assassin for hire, with apparently no loyalties except to a handful of individual friends? Ex-Marine who doesn't seem the least bit patriotic? Makes tons of money, but never seems to have any real access to it? But, for me, the least appealing aspect is the almost never-ending trail of bodies he leaves in his wake. Not the most admirable guy, but that's how he's written. Some may admire that type of character, but I found myself feeling like a disappointed coach, hoping my star player would make the right choice, instead of earning another unsportsmanlike conduct penalty

I've seen quite a few positive reviews of this book and the series in general, and have a few more downloaded, so I won't give up on it yet. I'm hoping this is just a phase, sort of a lethal version of the "terrible twos" :)
Profile Image for K.M..
Author 12 books66 followers
November 4, 2012
A collection of all five episodes of season 1 in one place - perfect! I love the main character, Jack Noble, and his journey as an anti-hero. Despite what he does for a living, you can't help but root for him. And the secondary characters all shine just as brightly - Clarissa, Mandy, and especially Bear, have all found a place in my heart. The writing is sharp and witty, and oh-so-easy to get through. I love this series and I can't wait to keep reading more.
Profile Image for Melodie.
589 reviews64 followers
June 21, 2018
This is the second Jack Noble installment I've read. While I was able to engage in the story most of the time, this particular antihero just doesn't turn my crank. I found myself skimming through the second half of the book without missing anything or losing plot. There was so much filler violence.
So I bid bye bye to this series.
Profile Image for Ted.
96 reviews3 followers
October 13, 2015
I only made it halfway though. While there is a loose plot, there really aren't any interesting characters and they all seem the same. With the exception of a child, the rest all react immediately to anything and everything with deadly force and no discrimination. All in all after half the book I found I really didn't care about any of the characters to any degree and was less interested in what might eventually happen to them. I consider a book an investment in my time and this one wasn't a good investment.
Profile Image for David Highton.
2,803 reviews15 followers
January 4, 2019
An unstructured and meandering plot of paid assassins, secret government agencies and criminal organisations, with more killings than any other book I can remember, often for very little reason. I think this is the end of my Jack Noble journey.
Profile Image for C.S. Wilson.
Author 5 books9 followers
September 15, 2014
The Noble books are pure entertainment for me. I enjoy them enough that I can (mostly) overlook errors like vile for vial and site for sight. I'll definitely be reading more of the Noble books.
Profile Image for Apollo Hesiod.
88 reviews47 followers
April 20, 2016
really enjoyed this book, hated to put it down, kept me intrigued from the beginning. Jack Noble is an awesome character along with this group of friends. Will defenately read more Jack Noble books
424 reviews5 followers
November 17, 2017
I really wanted to like this book. It had, as the title goes, noble intentions. Jack Noble is a former marine and current assassin for hire. He works regularly for an underworld boss. He has friends all over the world. He goes from place to place killing random people - sometimes the ones he is paid to kill, sometimes just random people. The plot follows him through his journey, except when it diverges to follow one of his friends for a while. The individual action sequences are generally good, though occasionally nonsensical. But the plot is just there to move Jack from one situation to another. Jack isn't really a killer with a heart of gold, even if he thinks he is, which I think is the main issue.
215 reviews
October 20, 2021
Jack Noble is sent on multiple hit jobs in France and Italy.

There is a point about halfway into this book where I began to think it was actually a parody on the assassin/spy/thriller genre. There was just so much continuous killing going on, often with no real connection to the plot, that it became ridiculous. Every woman Jack meets (usually waitresses) throws herself at Jack and always ends up dead later as a result of their connection with him.

I've read the first three books in the series, where Jack was a hard drinking, hard smoking hired gun with some anger management issues. However, in this book he becomes a full-blown psychopath. I don't think this was the author's intention, but it actually makes the character more edgy.

A character can be a loner without being violently anti-social. He seems to seek out confrontation and then he just can't beat them up, he has to shoot them all in the head.

A bit disturbing, though. Also has one of those endings where nothing is resolved.
10 reviews
June 29, 2021
Simply terrible. Like a soap opera with no plot, no character development, just a bunch of sociopaths.
Nothing but ridiculously implausible violence, fighting and killing.
I’m taking Ryan off my lists forever
Shameful.
10 reviews
October 10, 2020
Disappointing

I found a sticky note with a list of titles or characters. I was happy to find it and have new books to check out. Now, I’m annoyed with this unbelievable spoof of a hitman and his associates. I have so many questions. Why the profession change for Clarissa? How is it that this badass hitman has several people sneak up on himALL THE TIME? Why is it that this hitman drives obviously conspicuous cars? Why is this hitman worried about phones being tracked, but stole and used someones GPS? Why do all of these random women want to sleep with a Jack after a few minutes in his presence? What was the point of introducing Dottie? I really wanted to keep liking Jack, Clarissa, and Bear...but they all really let me down with these completely unbelievable emotions and situations. Did the writers change? Is the author mad at Jack? Help me understand. :(
Profile Image for Rick.
332 reviews
March 17, 2018
Another job for Noble, the assassin for hire. I thought this might be a dud of a book as it has a kid(I love kids, I have one. I just don't like reading them in a story). I was very surprised the book moved great, the kid was not a distraction. Noble is doing what he does best and is acquiring a large number of enemies. Good book as it was hard to put down. Purchased the next one and ready to put that in the mix.
142 reviews14 followers
Read
May 17, 2021
Questioning Intentions

Did the author suffer a stroke or just forget to read the previous volume in the series? Characters are entertaining enough in this but they are not the same characters as the previous story. Their histories are different and their entire character is changed. Although I enjoyed this fourth outing, I spent far too much time wondering what happened to the people who populated the series up to this point!
Profile Image for Stephanie.
508 reviews13 followers
December 14, 2015
Maybe the most interesting of the Noble books I've read so far, but like the rest of them it is littered with grammatical errors making it hard to read at times.

I'll keep reading the series just because they are fine brainless books that are perfect for my Nook, but there is nothing exceptional here. Noble isn't all that likable, and he is hugely underdeveloped.
Profile Image for vivian.
270 reviews
September 1, 2018
Great read

Great story line about a man who assassinates for hire who is caught by the Russian spies and sentenced to death in a kangaroo court. He is than set up as being killed in the prison with poison and than removed from prison in a wood coffin and being alive released. Keeps you guessing.
1 review
September 25, 2018
This book reads like the author got a book deal and needed to crank out some pages. It's just violence and nonsense. I read a few of the previous installments, and they kept my attention. This one was all over the place, everyone got murdered, the players in the story all lost their depth and in the end I just skimmed the pages to see how it ended.
Profile Image for Kiru Taye.
Author 56 books303 followers
July 7, 2016
I love this book especially the characters--Jack, Clarissa, Bear, even little Mandy. Already downloaded Season 2. I'm almost afraid to start listening to Season 2 because I won't be able to put it down. So addictive.
Profile Image for Tulay.
1,202 reviews2 followers
April 2, 2015
Sorry Mr Ryan.

Many senseless violence and killings, even innocent people. Made it almost to the half, because I respect all the authors.
27 reviews
June 14, 2016
A very good read

I have fallen in love with Jack Noble. He is everything you want in a good thriller. I am moving on to the next book, season 2 of Noble intentions.
1 review
June 11, 2020
Just finished book #4 of the Jack Noble series by L.T. Ryan. Loved the book and the three previous books. I was a follower of W.E.B. Griffin and Tom Clancy. Lately I am finding these writers are using others to help or write entirely the new novels. The last one under Tom Clancy's name was getting hard to read and I abandoned the read. I now follow L.T. Ryan and another writer that writes in the style of the old Tom Clancy books.
Regarding the latest book: Noble Intentions, it was filled with action and suspense and even though the hero was made to seem super human, I understand the need and it did help the book. Sometimes however it was at times unbelievable (the events as they played out) it was still a fun read. (I didn't get too explicit on the unbelievable scenes because I did not want to give anything away for those who have not read the book yet.)
I will continue to read books from L.T. Ryan and can
Profile Image for Mike.
434 reviews
May 16, 2017
Jack Noble is my newest hero. To use a bit of an oxymoron, he's a hit man with a heart. I met Jack Noble while reading "Thriller Thirteen", a compilation of 13 novellas put together by Mark Dawson. Fortunately Mr. Dawson included episode 1 of Noble Intentions in the compilation. I was so impressed with episode 1 that I downloaded the complete book of Noble Intentions, which consists of 5 episodes, and read it before getting back to T13. I love everything about Noble Intentions! L.T. Ryan has created a universe of well rounded characters, both villains and good guys. His characters seem to be real humans - the good guys have their faults and the bad guys can do good things. If you like fast paced, action packed, edge of your seat thrillers, read this book.
12 reviews
May 7, 2022
I rarely give up on books but I decided to try this book to give the series one last try. I was originally going to just stop after book three but the author left this hanging mystery at the end. By chapter five nothing from the previous book has been mentioned still. Granted the chapters are very short. The writing style has been improved from the previous two books. The short choppy sentences are gone however the story has become even more cliche and it reads like an 80s tv drama complete with plot holes and all. I get why some people like this series but for me it doesn’t live up to the “part Reacher, part Bourne” hype. It’s more like part, “Knight Rider”, part “Miami Vice”. Slick but shallow.
Profile Image for Thomas James.
511 reviews9 followers
January 21, 2019
Violence for the Sake of Violence

I don't really know how to rate this story as it's in a league of its own. It's kind of a spy novel. Something like James Bond, but Bond never gets this violent. There is so much violence that the story almost gets lost. Events that should evolve into solutions get twisted into death and violence. It almost makes you wonder how L.T. Ryan knows about this stuff. (Then again maybe I don't want to know.) This is part of a series so it's possible this is a developmental plot as a transition to some sort of good conclusion, but it could just as easily go the other way. Maybe that's the point. Ill have to wait and see.
August 22, 2018
Unfortunately, the order of the various episodes of Jack Noble's adventures is a wee bit confusing & I read a couple out of order. "Noble Intentions" is actually #4 (followed by "When Dead In Greece," which I'd already read!) & the best episode so far!
L.T. Ryan doesn't get bogged down in minute descriptions (which just slows down the story) & this one turned out to be a page turner & a more believable/enjoyable tale.
All-in-all a really good read & worth your time if you like fast-paced, action adventure.
July 23, 2022
I don't like what Jack has become in this book

If Jack Noble continues to be evil I will have to find something else to read. I don't like dark main characters. I read for pleasure... I like action and good plots. I don't like gore.. Not into a load of sex. I am retired and over 60.. I know about sex and life has too much evil in regular news these days. So as most people.. I read to escape normal life. When plots get too much evil... It's time to read some other author's work.
Profile Image for Michael Mardel.
Author 24 books9 followers
June 12, 2017
Noble intentions Jack Noble #4 by Ryan. Definitely a page turner with good descriptions, even to the cruise ship and the Black Dolphin. Was it in Jack's character to befriend a little girl, Mandy, lost on the street? Was it in Clarissa's character to take them in? Clarissa is a strong character who really takes over the story. And she can be violent, too. Is Jack amoral with all his killings? He always has money to pay for various lodgings, all at the same time. Very entertaining otherwise.
Profile Image for MH.
178 reviews3 followers
December 18, 2017
I liked the first three books reasonably well. The main character (and supporting cast) seem reasonably well thought out, the writing seems tight, the action seems exciting and believable, but here in book four, I am starting to think the relentlessly amoral killer that Jack Noble is becoming is not my thing. YMMV, though, so don't let my thinking here dissuade you from trying these books out. I won't be purchasing or reading any more of them.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 304 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.