Start by marking “Dark Persuasion” as Want to Read:

Dark Persuasion

Charlotte Gray couldn't believe that anyone in high society would care to introduce her to potential suitors. After all, a cruel accident left her blind at the age of eight. However, Lady and Lord Rochester, her aristocratic neighbors, have taken a peculiar interest in her welfare and offer to hold a debutante ball in her honor.

Inexperienced in the ways of men and
Published August 12th 2012 by Holland Legacy Publishing (first published May 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Persuasion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Persuasion

Start your review of Dark Persuasion
Caz
I've given this a C for both content and narration at AudioGals.

While Dark Persuasion has an interesting premise and the potential to explore some of the darker emotions – guilt, jealousy, obsession – the book never overcomes a number of failures in its execution. It’s not a very “romantic” romance, and there is practically no chemistry between the leads. The characterisation of the hero lacks depth, and I found the heroine difficult to like, largely due to her treatment of the hero.

Charlotte
Tiffiny
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The story was very well written along with the story line. Definitely captivated my mind. Couldn't stop reading. Loved the ending especially with the unexpected twist towards the end where we found out about Peter and his brother's secret. I truly loved the ending. Lessons throughout the story along with forgiveness. One of the greatest stories I have ever read. Would love to read a second book to follow the ending. I applaud the writer who supported visual perception of the characters,
M.K.
Nov 20, 2012 rated it liked it
They didn't know who each other was but one day in the forest, a 12-year-old bully pushed a 8-year-old tomboy off a tree. He fled to discover later that the impact of her fall blinded her. Move forward ten years, and we have a story of love and atonement. I really felt Patrick Rochester's remorse and admired Charlotte's desire to seek happiness. But. But, I think the author was seeking the reader's happiness a little too much. As a result, Rupert was just not a convincing character for me.

Still,
Cathy Geha
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charlotte Gray was blinded in childhood by two boys in a tree. Many years later those same two boys, now men, start courting her. All three have changed. Which of the young men will win her heart? Will she find a true love with either of the men? Can one forgive the person who has changed your life forever?
Michael
Purchased this morning and I haven't moved all day (skipping breakfast and lunch) until I finished the last page. Very well worth it! I didn't even realize there was a trailer until I finished the book. Now that I've seen it too I'm even more in love with Patrick.
Natalie Ryabenko
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
It was an interesting book; however very slow. Also the main characters didn't fell connected at all.
Sonia Lowry
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dark Persuasion

This story is about a women name Charlotte Grey who was blinded at the age of eight in a cruel accident that was the fault of an unknown cruel boy. The accident left Charlotte bitter at heart towards the unknown boy as she learns to adjust to the limitations of blindness while trying to be as independent as possible. The story commence ten years later when Lord and Lady Rochester took an interest in Charlotte's welfare by throwing her a coming out party. This was partially due to
Jessica
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-review
I’m not a big fan of authors who are upfront and state the history of central characters and how they are connected. This approach can be either hit or miss, but in the case of Dark Persuasion, Vicki Hopkins does an amazing job setting up the plot and it defiantly is needed to understand the particular actions of certain characters.

Charlotte Grey was a child when an accident left her blind and she’s surprised her aristocratic neighbors are interested in being her sponsors and hold a ball in her
S.R. Roddy
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have to admit I really didn’t like this book at first. The beginning seemed to drag out and I had a hard time liking Charlotte. Her behavior and cruelty to the hero seemed off to me. While my opinion of the heroine didn’t change much, I really enjoyed getting to know the hero. Patrick was sweet and sexy which, unfortunately, made me dislike Charlotte even more.

The author did an excellent job with character development and description. I could even get a sense of the fear Charlotte felt living
Maggie Hesseling
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Two boys are playing in the woods when they see a girl coming towards them. Before Patrick knows it he's pushed her off the tree which has left her blind. Years later, war weary he's still haunted by what he's done and determined to make it right. But when he falls in love with her everything changes. He'll need to win her from his rake brother, get her to marry him and all whilst hiding what he did.

This novel is a really twisted version of Douglas Sirk's Magnificent Obsession. There were
Mackenzie
Feb 27, 2013 rated it liked it
A decent story, although a little dry at times. Charlotte Gray, as a child climbs a tree to prove herself to two boys. When one pushes her off, her injuries include complete blindness.

Later, Patrick Rochester, a grown man changed from his angry, troubled ways as a child learns the consequences of his actions. He decides the best thing he can do is to marry her and take care of her. His brother, Rupert, remains in that hurt, dark childlish place and does everything he can to cause trouble for
Emily
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it
ShoSho
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this a while ago as a freebie. It happens in 1890 , I don't think I've ever read a HR that is historically exact but this seems to be just that.It's not flowery and takes into account the life style of those years. It's a bit angsty and harsh and the hero does a lot of groveling which I really like. I enjoyed reading it a lot.
Beckie Treble
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this last night, and it is probably my favourite book at the moment. Just lovely, the writing was fantastic and I love the story.
I wish I could give it more than 5*!
WildAboutBones
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on_cover_reveals
I listened to the audio version and enjoyed the story quite a bit.
Nvlovestoread
Storyline was very imaginative although a bit expected. Charachters were believable. Social etiquettes well researched. Annoyed by too many typos.
Purdy Gertie
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good book. Surprising twist at the end.
Sandy
characters were kind of annoying and wishy-washy
Erika Rodriguez
Feb 07, 2016
Aleah Grant
Jul 13, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Unmarriageable Series Collection: Books 1-3: A Regency Historical Romance Collection
  • A Heartless Laird (Clan Ross, #1)
  • Lord Corsair: Pirates of Britannia Connected World (Pirates of Britannia World, #20)
  • The Pirate's Bluestocking: Pirates of Britannia Connected World
  • Captured by the Mercenary: Pirates of Britannia Connected World
  • The Beast of Blades: Pirates of Britannia Connected World (The Ravishing Rees Book 3)
  • The Savage Sabre (The Ravishing Rees #2)
  • The Rebellious Red
  • The Vanishing of Lord Vale (The Lost Lords Book 2)
  • The Missing Marquess of Althorn (The Lost Lords Book 3)
  • The Seafaring Rogue (Pirates of Britannia #8)
  • The Lost Lords Series: A Regency Romance Collection Books 4-6
  • Defended By The Warrior Highlander: A Steamy Scottish Medieval Historical
  • A Rogue to Remember (The Hellion Club Book 1)
  • Stolen by Starlight (Pirates of Britannia #9)
  • The Ravishing Rees (Pirates of Britannia #10)
  • The Duke's Improper Bride (Ravensdale, #2)
  • Etiquette with the Devil (Ravensdales, #1)
Award Winning Author of Historical Romance, Historical Family Sagas, Gothic Romance, and Historical Fiction. Books available in eBook, Print, and Audio.