Start by marking “Henry Ford” as Want to Read:
Henry Ford

Henry Ford (Lives and Legacies)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  131 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Most great figures in American history reveal great contradictions, and Henry Ford is no exception. He championed his workers, offering unprecedented wages, yet crushed their attempts to organize. Virulently anti-Semitic, he never employed fewer than 3,000 Jews. An outspoken pacifist, he made millions producing war materials. He urbanized the modern world, and then tried t ...more
Published May 16th 2013 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published March 24th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Henry Ford, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henry Ford

Marc Brackett
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a very solid and well written book. For those wanting a bare bones history this book delivers.

I'm more a fan of 800 or 1500 page books and this could have very easily been such a book, the author however did a very good job of sticking to the story and resisting all the rabbit trails that were available.

I came away from this book thinking I have read this story before, Henry Ford and Steve Jobs are very similar. From their strange diets, inability to allow others any credit, ability to
Srivardhan C8B
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a book that describes America's great car entrepreneur. This book also truly explored the life of Henry Ford. This book describes about his childhood, and his great successes and flaws. I truly like how Ford employed African-Americans, because at this time (before 1950s) this was not highly accepted. This book also explores on family life, such as relationships, and especially death. This book has higher vocabulary, which may be difficult to comprehend, and lots of pages with lots of wor ...more
Dean P.
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: michigan, nonfiction
A solid biography of a figure with a well-known reputation and a confusing track record. Curcio leans on those who loved him and those who loathed him to stitch together this great look at an icon (or pariah) of the first half of the 20th century. I was impressed by the overall arc of this book as it traced all of the aspects of Ford's life. It explained rivalries and disagreements, addressed motivations, and even directed readers to other great resources within the text (my favorite reference w ...more
Mainichi66
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the better version in the two versions of Henry Ford biography.
The author has done quite a thorough research on myiad perspectives of Ford's time and life.
The famed Toyota Production Method TPM pales in comparison with the invention scene of Ford assembly. Eli Goldrat's theory is just stolen from Ford.
Yet it intrigues me to read the various works of Orlando Jay Smith. And the Protocol of the elders of zion as well.
Cameron
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it
i thought the book was good . In seemed that he had a hard life growing up and also found out that he was not the first to make a engine .the first person to figher that out was a man in germany witch at the moment i can not thik of his name. But in the united states he was foer first to come up with it so in many ways he was the fiorst to build the amarican car.
Helen
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I thought this book was an easy read about Henry Ford, not one groaning under the weight of too many facts. However, I would liked to have known more about the personal life and opinions of the Ford family, especially his wife, who stood up to him on at least 2 occasions reported in the book.

Pat Dewey
Feb 06, 2014 rated it liked it
To quote... "A cross section of the mind of Henry Ford would reveal some striking contrasts. A complex mind of strength and weakness, of wisdom and foolishness, in which the shallows are more pronouced because of the profound depths which lie between ... there is no middle ground to his makeup."
James Knight
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Extremely revealing that great inventors have personalities that are not always nice. The book is a fast read and will provide excellent insight into one the nations most interesting and successful businesses.
Jacob Meinholz
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I personally loved this story and it tells how America became a big car industery. This company blazed a trail for Chevy and General Motors.This story is a true story that tells about the hard ships of owning a bissness.
Fearnleyc
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was a really good book and had very good lessons for young adults and youth. From economics to family this book had a verity of lessons as well. I would recommend this to anyone that has any sort of interest into cars and Herny Ford.
Curtin Matthews
This book is very good. I would recommend this book to anyone that takes an interest in history. I enjoyed this book because it has to do with my most favorite person. Lastly this book has lots of facts in it and would help when writing a biography.
Paul
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not at all the person I expected...but still an amazing man who had the drive (no pun intended) to change the world.
Marius
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: autobiography
About the great personality of contradictions.
Tomas
Dec 27, 2013
Erik
Dec 07, 2013
Autumn M
rated it did not like it
Nov 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Bill Gates (Up Close)
  • One Day, All Children...: The Unlikely Triumph Of Teach For America And What I Learned Along The Way
  • BMX Bully (Jake Maddox Sports Story)
  • The Business of Happiness: 6 Secrets to Extraordinary Success in Life and Work
  • The Millionaire and the Mummies: Theodore Davis's Gilded Age in Egypt
  • Beer School: Bottling Success at the Brooklyn Brewery
  • Lucky or Smart?: Secrets to an Entrepreneurial Life
  • The Iron Lady: Margaret Thatcher, from Grocer's Daughter to Prime Minister
  • Endzone: The Rise, Fall, and Return of Michigan Football
  • Alibaba's World: How a Remarkable Chinese Company is Changing the Face of Global Business
  • Rich Dad's Before You Quit Your Job: 10 Real-Life Lessons Every Entrepreneur Should Know About Building a Multimillion-Dollar Business (Rich Dad's (Paperback))

Lives and Legacies (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Mark Twain
  • Walt Whitman
  • Churchill: The Unexpected Hero
  • Roger Williams
  • Isaac Newton
  • Benjamin Franklin
  • Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
  • T. S. Eliot
  • William Faulkner
  • Theodor Seuss Geisel (Lives and Legacies)