Start by marking “The Spirit of Kaizen: Creating Lasting Excellence One Small Step at a Time” as Want to Read:
The Spirit of Kaizen: Creating Lasting Excellence One Small Step at a Time

The Spirit of Kaizen: Creating Lasting Excellence One Small Step at a Time

Discover the power of KAIZEN to make lasting and powerful change in your organization

"Maurer uses his knowledge of the brain and human psychology to show what I have promoted for the past three decades--that continuous improvement is built on the foundation of people courageously using their creativity. Kaizen is much more than a world-class management practice; it is a te
Published November 1st 2012 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published October 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Spirit of Kaizen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spirit of Kaizen

Start your review of The Spirit of Kaizen: Creating Lasting Excellence One Small Step at a Time
Maciej Nowicki
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Spirit of Kaizen talks about the continuous improvement process. Generally speaking, it’s about taking many tiny steps over an extended period of time which lead to huge results. It is more than Six Sigma where some companies may have conducted improvement projects a few months ago and now they might take it easy thinking maybe in a couple of months from now we are going to take a look at something new. Kaizen is self-discipline and the commitment that everybody has to present. So as soon as ...more
Bob Wallner
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: change, lean, audible
I don't often give 5 stars to a book, but spirit of Kaizen definitely deserves that grade.

When I purchased this audiobook I was assuming it would be another lean book that reviews the 8 waste, making dramatic changes, and other things closely associated with Toyota production system.

How wrong I was! This book is 1 part psychology, 1 part neuroscience, and 1 part common sense. Other than a couple small examples Toyota production system and lean are not even discussed. Dr Deming is credited with b
George Girton
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Short: loads of fun :-). Several really great ideas. Chief among them the human mind cannot avoid considering the question once posed, no matter how small. It is not necessary to answer the question but merely to put it out there.o
Kevin Patton
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While brainstorming and searching online for a better approach to achieve my goals this year, I stumbled upon the Japanese word Kaizen. It’s a simple concept that we’ve all heard before - taking many small steps over an extended period of time leads to big results. Ever since discovering this word, I have been making a conscious effort to incorporate this approach while trying to create a healthier and more fulfilling lifestyle. This book is perfect for anyone looking for a quick read that will ...more
Kevin Orth
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a fan of big, huge, in your face, larger than life. This book affirms my bias for smaller, quieter, incremental, bite size adjustment, change, and improvement.

Tremendous, earth shattering, ground breaking, mountain moving improvement is possible - the way we get there is one small step at a time. We are more assured success in our big initiatives when we focus on the means, small details along the way, and make changes in tiny increments.
Marco Barreiros
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A book that really shows you how important are the small things, because even the longest run starts with just one first step.
Valerie
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to the essence of Kaizen.
James Thompson
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book has the distinction of being the only book I have ever purchased 5 different times.

As a creative professional, I was introduced to the agile methodology through what is called SCRUM. I despised it, and pretty much everything about it as a very narrow sited solution to a very particular group of professionals of which I was not. However, it was my current companies mandate, that we transition to SCRUM. I looked and looked for books that could help me understand my place. The Spirit of
Michael Kerr
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, business
Kaizen, a Japanese word meaning "good change" is a business concept centred on continual positive improvement. The genius is that the change being talked about is small, incremental, and non-threatening. Big change triggers panic or fear and leads to paralysis. It's hard to get an organization or individual on-board for a big frightening change. Kaizen, by contrast, focuses on the tiny step in the right direction. And it is surprising where those tiny steps can lead.

This is a business book, and
Gavin Morrice
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is aimed at managers and business execs but anyone can benefit from applying the practice described inside.

It teaches a rational, scientific approach to solving problems by:

- breaking them down into smaller, more manageable chunks
- training the brain to start thinking of solutions by asking the right kind of questions
- allowing us to stay creative, simply by reducing the stress that inherently blocks creative thought

Will definitely read again!
Pctrainer98
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One small step... The idea of making very small changes to have a LARGE impact is empowering to me. I listened to it twice before it was due. I believe the Tipping Point will have a similar bend. Looking forward to listening to it soon.
Forest Collins
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The premise behind the Spirit of Kaizen is not new. Basically, the idea is that small actions, done regularly, can have large consequences. You know: "A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step"

But Kaizen goes further than just reaffirming the idea that large achievements are made up of a lot of small actions. Maurer opines that it is, in fact, better to take small, manageable steps towards larger goals to prevent our fear factor from impeding our progress. He doesn't just talk theoretic
Li Li
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a very quick read. Most of the concepts are not net new. The one I learnt is around mind sculpture, derived from guided imagination. Mainly it's visualization.

When you need to make a change, there are two basic strategies you can use: innovation and kaizen. Innovation calls for a radical, immediate rethink of the status quo. Kaizen, on the other hand, asks for nothing other than small, doable steps toward improvement.

Dealing with difficult people - Thinking of the person as suffering fro
Alexandria Blaelock
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who want to improve slowly
You can have big scary innovative change, or you can have good change (kaizen) which is a change so small it sneaks past your flight/flight trigger. In fact, sometimes the step is so small it's just imagining a difference. And then you move on to the next small change, and then over time, you've accumulated a big change. Like continuous improvement only different.

The book is aimed at managers, but the technique of asking "What one small thing can I do today..." can be applied to small business
Agne
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
It's really short. Although the points that are made are topical, it's a bit superficial. A few examples about eating and working out were memorable, but not much else. It also says very, very little about kaizen in organisations, it's mostly about improvements in personal life/success with a few passing mentions of organisational change, which interests me much more. So I guess you can skip this if you want to understand Kaizen better as a whole.
Niket Sheth
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very good book. A must read for anyone who is stuck in business or personal life. This book tends more towards a business solution book than a personal guidance self help book. It takes all the concepts and gives timely examples. Although the solution and the steps provided to follow seem too little or too small for a huge change, this thing works on an psychological level and makes you think differently. A good breezy read. Recommended.
Tina Ann Nguyen
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Small steps

This book should be required reading in leadership classes. If you lead a business or are looking to boost morale and performance, then this book is for you. Often times we equate big programs with success, but it’s the little steps that add up and will get buy in from your group.
Orban
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book grabbed the main idea of doing things in very small increments and slowly is much more effective than doing a huge innovation. That correlated a lot with a lot of my other readings, specially with the learning from Daniel Goleman: Emotional Intelligence ;)
Daniel Schulte
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
These are good concepts that I think a lot of people could benefit from, but the entire book was just anecdotal. I really expect more studies and numbers to convince me that this is something everyone should be doing.
Alex Vasilenko
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: self
The book could have been minimized to 1 article. In general someone might find it very interesting and opening. For me it was like "yay, 1 step at a time, I got it". Everything else was mostly a water.
Naticia
Was looking for an intro to Kaizen, and found this very practical guide written by a psychologist. Will definitely be using some of the takeaways and suggestions given, even if, of course, not all of it was relevant.
P Michael N
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simple and straightforward approach to improving anything. The steps outlined are deceptively simple and powerful. The book has lots of examples drawn from business and life situations that make it readily applicable. Will give this a whirl.
Mych
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
First chapter is a must for all executives. You can skim the rest.
Alex Herder
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is what business books should be. It is a 4 hour listen in audiobook form, and I've been thinking and applying the lessons in the month or so since I finished it.
Warren Miller
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my new favorite books. Small steps for your personal and professional life. This provides actionable insights with evidence and stories. Great but easy read.
Jiri
May 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: returned
Cannot recommend, the book is not contributing anything significant.
Chuck Hardy
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Small steps, big difference. Read the first chapter...
Abu Sayeed
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Not bad
Zühtü Özçelik
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Just a small step is enough for a big change.
Gaby
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
A bit repetitive but a great way of thinking that serves as a catalyst for sustainable, long term changes.

• Inside Jobs: Tales from a Time of Quarantine
  • The Getaway
  • No Filter: The Inside Story of Instagram
  • Outcomes Over Output: Why customer behavior is the key metric for business success
  • Verbal Judo: The Gentle Art of Persuasion
  • Warrior Mom: Don’t Wish It Were Easier, Make Yourself Stronger—7 Steps to Brave, Bold Resilience
  • Secrets of a Creativity Coach
  • Overcoming Opioid Addiction: The Authoritative Medical Guide for Patients, Families, Doctors, and Therapists
  • Beyond Birds and Bees: Bringing Home a New Message to Our Kids About Sex, Love, and Equality
  • The Brain Warrior's Way: Ignite Your Energy and Focus, Attack Illness and Aging, Transform Pain Into Purpose
  • Oklahoma City: What the Investigation Missed--and Why It Still Matters
  • Twenty something why do young adults seem stuck?
  • Site Reliability Engineering: How Google Runs Production Systems
  • SEAL Target Geronimo: The Inside Story of the Mission to Kill Osama bin Laden
  • Kaizen: The Japanese Method for Transforming Habits, One Small Step at a Time
  • Autentyczność przyciąga. Jak budować swoją markę na prawdziwym i porywającym przekazie?

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...