Start by marking “Blackwattle Lake” as Want to Read:
Blackwattle Lake

Blackwattle Lake

A story of courage and forgiveness for those who long to uncover who they used to be, and who they might still become.

For smart talking, newly claimed city girl Eve Nicholls, walking up the driveway of her childhood home a property she recently inherited from her mother is an eerie feeling. The horses that she loved still freckle the paddocks but the house is empty, and sh
Published December 2012 by Hachette Australia (first published November 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Blackwattle Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackwattle Lake

Angella
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Blackwattle Lake is clearly marketed as rural women's fiction.
While it will more than satisfy readers of this genre, I think it is disappointing that other readers looking for compelling and well written novels are likely to look at the cover and conclude this book is not for them. I think it deserves a wider audience.
The character development is nuanced and emotionally engaging. The plot is carefully crafted. What I enjoyed most, though, was the language used to describe the landscape. The des
Brenda
When Eve Nicholls arrived at the gateway of her former home, along with Banjo, her beloved kelpie, she wasn’t sure what to feel. The emotions were raging within her, though she was trying to tamp them down. When she found she didn’t have the key to the padlocked gate, she grabbed her bag from her kombi and together she and Banjo scrambled through the fence and walked toward the house. The look of abandonment surrounding the house caught the back of her throat...but she saw there were still some ...more
Lauren K
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Blackwattle Lake is the debut novel by Australian author, Pamela Cook. This story was not the happy rural romance novel I was expecting, rather it was far grittier than I expected and would fit more comfortably in the rural fiction genre.

The protagonist, Eve Nicholls returns to her hometown, the place she was known as the wild child and formerly known as Angie Flanagan. Haunted by the fatal night that took her sister's life, Eve isn't keen to stick around town for long. After more than a decade
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aussie-author

In Pamela Cook's debut novel, Blackwattle Lake, Eve Nicholls has returned to her hometown after an absence of twenty years, having inherited the family farm upon her mother's death. She plans to sell up and move on as quickly as possible, unwilling to remain in the community that drove her away twenty years ago. But as Eve sorts through a lifetime of clutter and memories, she is forced to confront the consequences of the choices she made as a teenager, and find a way to live with them if she is
Dale Harcombe
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Coming home with her dog Banjo after a number of years away, Eve Nicholls finds some things have changed. Others haven’t. What hasn’t changed is the guilt she carries for teenage decisions that radically altered her life and that of the mother from who she was estranged for so many years. Eve’s plan is to sell up, Mossy Creek Farm, left to her by her mother and leave as quickly as possible. She plans to put the place up for auction and use the money to set up a new life minus Marcus, the no hope ...more
Jenn J McLeod
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The back cover of Pamela Cook’s Blackwattle Lake reads: “for those who long to uncover who they used to be, and who they might still become.”

Perfect! I love those self-discovery stories about as much as I love a coming home to the country story, especially one that is authentic in both setting and character – characters so well developed and depicted I could see every one of them.

The story of Blackwattle Lake is Eve’s to tell (for the most part). She’s a woman forced to return to the country tow
Paula Clark
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
A lovely debut novel by Pamela Cook set around Eve returning home to her small country town following the death of her estranged mother. The reasons behind their estrangement are slowly unearthed throughout the story as Eve battles to come to terms with, and finally move on with her life.

I had thought that the story line was heading towards romance, however it was soon apparent that this was more about Eve's personal and emotional journey. Although I felt the story line was similar to others I'd
Jennie Orchard
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic debut novel for Pamela Cook! I was drawn in to the story from the very beginning as Evie returns in her battered combi to rural Yarrabee, twenty years after abandoning her family, her home, her childhood and adolescence. So much has changed and yet so little has changed. It's painful to confront the excruciating pain and the guilt of her past, but unless she does, she'll never be able to move on with her life.

Slowly Evie is drawn back into the web of community, persuaded by a s
Carol Preston
Nov 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I'd say three and a half stars for Aussie fiction in the now popular 'rural' genre. It's Pamela Cook's debut novel and it's well written and engaging. She stays in the main character's POV (Eve) throughout but gives good insight to other characters too. There's a good unfolding narrative about homecoming, dealing with the past, resolving old hurts and envisioning a new future. It's certainly not a traditional romance but has elements of love triangles and the struggles of romantic relationships. ...more
Jess
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow. Its 1:47am and I've just finished this book, and am desperately hoping that the rumours that Pamela Cook is writing a sequel are true. This book is nothing short of amazing and I very much look forward to reading more of Pamela Cook's writing in the future.

Full review to follow shortly.
Jaye
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed eve's story of struggling to let go, Self forgiveness and acceptance. Is it possible the story is not yet finished with two possible story line available to be told??
Trish Clark
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved the setting and the fact this novel was about a personal emotion journey other than romance. Great read
Melanie1999
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very good book!!!! I recommend this to anyone!!!!!
Tanya
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
After her mother's death, Eve returns to the family property she fled 20 years ago. Whilst some things have changed, some have remained the same: such as the memories she was running away from as a 17 year old.

I'm having a hard time rating/reviewing this book. Whilst there were some parts I thoroughly loved, there were other parts that were a hard slog to get through. Sometimes Eve was a character you wanted to like, other times you just wanted to slap some sense into her! Unfortunately though w
Cheryll Butters
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
A quick read. Love the big font! It just didn't grab me. And if you ask me - Angie/Eve was to blame...
Anne
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read this book in only a couple of days.

I loved the whole concept of it not being your typical girl/ guy heads home to find their true love still pinning away story. It was intriguing constantly changing and you could almost picture Blackwattle Lake and what happened there, it was quite erie. The homestead sound so much like so many I remember so I could settle into this book so easily.

The whole story was just so beautifully written and accurate of country life to a tee.

This being Pamela's first
Robyn Gibson
Loved it! Great writing...GREAT WRITING! Loved the story. We had a cattle dog and Pamela Cook was so descriptive when it came to the 'dog' parts I could just see our Hannah. I've never ever read a book in three days and I loved every bit of this one..
Bettina
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. Very mysterious and heartbreaking at the same time. Reading about the bush fires reminded me of the Black Saturday fires a couple of years back. Another great rural book.
Cynthia
Aug 16, 2013 rated it liked it
At the beginning I thought the story was a typical bad girl returns home and then makes good and finds love, but it was not a romance story at all. It turned out to be a good Aussie story centered on the central character that eventually is able to deal with her past.
Pamela Freeman
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excitement and tears as well as love

Fabulous sense of place in this well-written novel set in the Australian bush. Great characters, heart-warming story, and one terrific dog!
Jenni
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not a book that I would normally have picked up but thoroughly enjoyed it. Could relate to the Australian landscape scenery.
Kay
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
An interesting read. A story about a woman coming to terms with her past. A solid debut novel. Description of the Australian countryside was very well written.
Anita-maree
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
loved the book, just missing the love story in it... where she end up with someone..
Delores Bebbington
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good story and it followed a different path from what I expected which was a pleasant surprise!
rebecca welch
Jan 20, 2013
Janice Dubbeling
Jan 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Pamela writes Rural Women's Fiction. Her debut novel, Blackwattle Lake, was published by Hachette in December 2012 and her second, Essie's Way, in December 2013. Her third novel, Close To Home was released in July 2015. The Crossroads is due for release in December 2016
As the mother of three daughters Pamela takes a keen interest in women's issues and lives. She divides her time between the southe