Start by marking “Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)” as Want to Read:
Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)

Standing in Another Man's Grave

(Inspector Rebus #18)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  13,521 ratings  ·  1,349 reviews
After five years out in the cold of retirement (literally: he’s been working cold cases as a civilian) Rebus has managed to wangle his way back to CID as a semi-official investigator in Standing in Another Man’s Grave, which also marks five years since our last fictional sighting of him.
Published November 2012 by Orion (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Standing in Another Man's Grave, please sign up.
Ron Every Rebus book can be read on its own, it's usually easy to get the feel of things. I started at #6, sprinkled a few more in but then read them all …moreEvery Rebus book can be read on its own, it's usually easy to get the feel of things. I started at #6, sprinkled a few more in but then read them all in order. (less)
Richp Rankin novels are fine as stand alone books. I suspect most Rankin fans are like me in that I like the Rebus novels best.

I find most crime novel serie…more

I find most crime novel series are similar in that the novels do not require reading others in the series. There are exceptions. For example, Stieg Larsson's third novel of note is not a separate novel but a continuation of the third. I have read other 2 volume novels not properly marked as such, including Harry Potter 6/7, Paolini's Eragon 3/4, and Simmons' Hyperion 1/2.(less)

·  13,521 ratings  ·  1,349 reviews

Start your review of Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
Phrynne
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
Ian Rankin always writes good books and Standing in Another Man's Grave is possibly one of his best.

John Rebus was retired from the Force at the end of the last book and in this one he is back in a kind of honorary role. He is still in top form, just as difficult as ever, just as determined to do things his own way. He is also very smart and very well connected with both ex cops and ex criminals from his long history as a police officer. All these things keep him one step ahead of every one els
M.
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peter Robinson once told me that the superlative Ian Rankin would not let Inspector Rebus just fade away. Seems Mr Robinson called it correctly. What a treat to have Rebus back again Nov 6th.

Finally done! Thankfully, those 2 words do not apply to John Rebus.
He's back and with all his idiosyncratic, defiant & brilliant behaviours intact.

Hated to see this book end. Hoping against hope that Mr Rankin will not allow him to rest too long.
Ellen
Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18) by Ian Rankin.

Let me start this review by thanking the author for finding life in retirement for Rebus. His continuation of this marvelous Detective series is much appreciated by this reader.

Rebus has retired BUT is continuing on the force at his old stomping grounds as a civilian in the cold case files. A mispers is brought to his Rebus's attention by a mother searching for her missing daughter...years missing. One missing girl leads to ano
Moira Russell
Well, maybe if I say "fuck" a lot in this review Amazon won't seize it and lead it to an evil digital dungeon. ....wait, I say "fuck" all the time anyway.

A very enjoyable way to kill an afternoon. Not a good entry point for anyone not familiar with the series, but hell, it's the eighteenth book. For the rest of us, it's a nice installment.

Rankin, never very good with female characters, serves us up a weepy stalker in this one. I was hoping Rebus would drown her in a bucket of her own tears, but
Manuel Antão
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This is not Detective Inspector Rebus, rogue cop, picking up where he left off; this is Mr John Rebus, civilian. There is life in the old dog yet…
The shift in the dynamic between Clarke and Rebus (Clarke is the boss now) is one of the most compelling aspects of the book and Rebus biting his tongue to let her lead takes some getting used to.
Less convincing is the shoehorning of Rankin’s other bestselling cop character, anti-corruption officer Malcolm Fox from “The Complaints†and “The Im
James Thane
At the end of Exit Music in 2008, Ian Rankin was forced to retire his cantankerous Scottish detective, John Rebus, because Rebus had hit sixty, which is (or was) the mandatory retirement age for detectives in Scotland. Happily, Rebus now returns, albeit as a civilian assisting a cold case squad rather than as a full-fledged detective.

After writing a couple of novels featuring Malcolm Fox, who is in the "Complaints" or Internal Affairs Division and who is as sober and straight-laced as Rebus is n
Alex Cantone
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018, crime
(Clarke) looked at him again. ‘When was the last time you actually left the city – for pleasure, I mean?’ He gave a casual shrug as she continued to study him, this time taking in his clothes. ‘James likes the officers under him to be presentable.’
‘You might be under him from time to time, but not me…”

In Standing in Another Man’s Grave Rebus is semi-retired and working cold cases with the SCRU, but hopes to return to CID with Lothian and Borders Police now that the retirement age has been raised
Ammar
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rebus is back proclaimed the cover of this novel. It was a major victory for Rebus to return into our lives after a hiatus.

Rebus is back in a civilian capacity working with the cold case unit in Edinburgh. A mother approached him to look for her daughter who vanished years ago. Rebus looks into moldy old files and find several women who vanished in that area.

Pushing himself into the investigating team, and being the revel and maverick that he is, he pisses everyone in his vicinity.

Ian Rankin
Bettie
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
oh look - my original review on this is not anywhere to be found - and I had a gazillion 'likes' on it too!

GONE, and it must have gone before I transferred my records to Booklikes because there is no record of it there.

Fuck you Goodreads!

So, trying to reconstruct...

The title is a mondegreen of this song

Ian Rankin on Jackie Leven

and the map was this one:

Rob
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 18 in the Rebus series.

Rebus is now retired but still working for the police in a civilian capacity, working on cold cases.
When a woman comes in to the station and asks to speak to a particular detective she is told that officer had retired years ago. But she said it was important that she speaks to someone. The job falls to Rebus to get rid of her. But instead of getting rid of her what she tells Rebus ignites the spark of intuition in Rebus’s head that starts him off looking for a serial
Lindz
The crime genre is filled with the drunken derelict. You all know the cv, he's a loner does not play well with others, making enemies. Usually he gets a long better with the people he is trying to put in prison. But he is not corrupt, no he's the knight errant of the mean streets, the slightly bent but strong moral compass. He will have a string of ex wives and girl friends, he's not sexist, will get a leg over when ever possible, but it seems he relates better to the dead than the living. And t ...more
Sharyn
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rebus is back!!!So happy to see him. Hope he has another book! I had read all the other Rebus books. I also read Rankin's very 1st book that I found in a cruise ship library! Love to see the evolution of a writer. How is Rebus still alive with all his drinking and smoking and unhealthy life style!!! I hadn't read" The complaints", but since Fox is in this book, I found it in the library and plan to read it this week.
This is probably not a good book to start with as there is much backstory neede
Amanda Patterson
Rebus is back.
I never realised how much I missed him until I read this book. I never realised how much I missed the writing skills of Ian Rankin writing about Rebus. Now I do.
Rebus is working on cold cases, as a civilian. What else would he do after he reached the obligatory retirement age? I wasn’t sure if he was alive after Exit Music. He is, along with his arch enemy, Cafferty, whose life he saved.
Rebus stumbles across a series of missing person cases which he links together in spite of him
Hobart
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
Rebus had lost count of the number of cases he’d worked, cases often as complex as this one, requiring interview after interview, statement after statement. He thought of the material in the boxes, now being pared over by those around him--paperwork generated in order to show effort rather than with any great hope of achieving a result. Yes, he’d been on cases like that, and others where he’d despaired of all the doors knocked on, the blan
Kathy Davie
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, history
Eighteenth in the Detective Inspector Rebus mystery series revolving around ex-DI Rebus in Edinburgh while being third in the Inspector Malcolm Fox mystery series revolving around Rebus' nemesis in the Complaints.

My Take
I was so not expecting Rankin to pop up with another Rebus book...and I am absolutely thrilled that he did. Rebus had retired in Exit Music , 17, back in 2007, and Rankin has him popping back up as a civilian working with the cold case squad. There's just a hint of possibility
M.K. Gilroy
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading Ian Rankin's John Rebus novels for close to a decade and have always had a love-hate relationship with this Edinburgh detective. I'm not alone. Rebus's cynical, impulsive, abrasive, self-destructive ways can play like fingernails on a chalkboard, making it hard for all but a few of the other characters to tolerate, much less "like" John - (poor DS Siobhan Clarke, how does she put up with him?). But despite Rebus' expertly drawn flaws, the curmudgeon gets his hooks in you. And i ...more
Donna Brown
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ian Rankins Rebus series is one of the most popular mystery writers internationally, though he is not that well known in the US. He is my favorite, and Rebus is my favorite detective, bar none, so my rating is probably higher than yours would be.

As always, Rebus' life has become more miserable than in the last book. He has been forced to retire and now is working in a cold case group. He misses the murder squad and his long-time partner Siobhan, which for several decades made up most of his life
Nichole
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well I finished it, I have to atleast say that first. It took me 5 days, for those that know me this means it was very hard for me to keep reading and it didnt keep my interest since usually I can finish a book in a day or less if I'm really into it!

It was a crime/murder/suspense novel...to much nitty-gritty doesnt really make the story filler detials. The paragraphs were super long with never ending description or detial or just filler information that really didnt matter. There wasn't a whole
Eddie Owens
Rob Twinem
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another healthy offering from the pen of Ian Rankin. Although no longer an active policeman John Rebus is still actively solving crime as he drinks his way into criminal oblivion making a few enemies and taking a few casualties along the way.....
Thomas
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rankin, uk-crime
I enjoyed reading this latest installment in the Rebus series. Rebus is now retired and working as a civilian on the Lothian & Borders cold case squad. He is still drinking and smoking heavily. He responds to a woman asking about her daughter, missing for ten years or so. When he digs into the files, he realizes that there are other missing women and that there could be a serial killer at work. He manages to offend many peolpe in the pursuit of this case. I give it 3.5 stars out of 4 stars(round ...more
Lori
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Rebus mystery by Ian Rankin. This one is set after Rebus's retirement where he's housed as a civilian with a couple of other retired cops solving cold cases. With the age of retirement being raised Rebus is also seriously considering applying for reinstatement. You'd think he'd wish to be on his best behavior in order to have his application accepted but no, not Rebus. Even as an outsider on the force he's still making trouble for his new supervisor in the Cold Case squad and his o ...more
Craig Sisterson
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, scottish
Five years ago, Ian Rankin rocked the crime fiction world by retiring, to howls of protest, one of the most popular characters in the history of crime writing: curmudgeonly, anarchic yet noble Detective Inspector John Rebus of the Lothian and Borders Police.

But now Rebus is back, as part of a team of retired detectives who sift through cold cases, hoping to find something long overlooked. He's tempted by a return to CID duties, thanks to a rise in the official retirement age. But does the polic
Linda
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
To be honest I had only ever read 1 Rebus novel before (I think!) That was the 1st one, Knots and Crosses. I have read the Malcolm Fox novels and thoroughly enjoyed those. I intend to read all the remaining Rebus books to catch up with this latest one, Standing in another mans grave. I just loved this writing, the ease of scene setting and character description.
Rebus is thinking of applying to return to the force since the retirement age has been raised. There are some who don't want to see thi
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
YESSSSS - REBUS IS BACK.

Rebus, retired but on loan from SCRU (a group of former detectives looking into cold cases) happens into an investigation of multiple MisPers, women gone missing along the A9 highway. Working partly within channels and mostly outside channels, Rebus is as bull-headed and irascible as usual as he digs deeper and finds links others have missed. Meanwhile he is being investigated by Complaints (Internal Affairs).

I am finding I like this return to police procedural without th
Michael
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Rebus hit sixty and was forced to retire, the introduction of Malcolm Fox left me wondering whether Ian Rankin was finally changing direction. As did many of his followers, I guess!

Standing in Another Man's Grave sees the return of the cantankerous Rebus, only this time as a civilian assisting in a cold case file. Nothing has changed, it's still the same old Rebus with all of his his heady drinking habits. Not the best in the series, but Ranking knows how to deliver, so its five stars for m
Cindy
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clean, interesting mystery. Reread. Audiobook available. Like this series. Cussing (s-word mostly, lightly used). No sex, violence not graphic. TTS-enabled in eBook. Read, with accents well-done, by James McFerson. (?sp)
Lemar
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters of Rebus and Clark are like old friends because their nuanced depiction by Ian Rankin. The banter is clever, funny and often disarmingly deep. I’ve read several but this is the first one I’ve heard on tape and the reading, by Macpherson, was pitch perfect.
Craig Pittman
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I have read plenty of them, I long ago lost my taste for mysteries that focus on serial killer cases. I covered a couple of real-life serial killers in the 1990s and after that the fictional ones just seemed wrong. They all felt both improbable and in poor taste. This book is a serial killer mystery -- and yet it is so very much more, which is why I enjoyed it so much and gave it such a high rating.

Ian Rankin's crotchety and aging hero, John Rebus, retired from the the Edinburgh police
John Brooke
I grew tired of DI John Rebus – too drunk, too cynical, too incapable of being happy. So I missed a few of the later books. I decided to give this latest one a try. Because I had been so long away from the series, I thought (hoped) maybe there’d be a change. There was. If you like Rebus, I’m sure you like this one. If you did not like Rebus, you might find yourself warming to him a little as he grows long in the tooth.

We find Rebus working as a CIVILIAN in a small cold-cases unit. As mentioned,
Bringing together Rebus and Fox: genius! 14 67 Jun 03, 2014 05:36AM
The Rankin-phile: Read-A-Long? 3 24 Jan 15, 2013 10:06AM

• Witch Hunt
  • Blood Hunt
  • Bleeding Hearts
  • Conferences Are Murder (Lindsay Gordon, #4)
  • Gallows View (Inspector Banks, #1)
  • Many Rivers to Cross (Inspector Banks, #26)
  • A Necessary End (Inspector Banks, #3)
  • Seven Years (Bibliomysteries)
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • Children of the Revolution (Inspector Banks, #21)
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
  • A Dedicated Man  (Inspector Banks, #2)
  • Galway Girl (Jack Taylor #15)
  • Wednesday's Child (Inspector Banks, #6)
  • King Solomon's Carpet
  • Dead and Buried (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #12)
  • The Drowned World
AKA Jack Harvey.

Born in the Kingdom of Fife in 1960, Ian Rankin graduated from the University of Edinburgh in 1982 and then spent three years writing novels when he was supposed to be working towards a PhD in Scottish Literature. His first Rebus novel was published in 1987; the Rebus books are now translated into 22 languages and are bestsellers on several continents.

Ian Rankin has been elected a

Inspector Rebus (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Knots and Crosses (Inspector Rebus, #1)
  • Hide and Seek (Inspector Rebus, #2)
  • Tooth and Nail (Inspector Rebus, #3)
  • Strip Jack (Inspector Rebus, #4)
  • The Black Book (Inspector Rebus, #5)
  • Mortal Causes (Inspector Rebus, #6)
  • Let It Bleed (Inspector Rebus, #7)
  • Black and Blue (Inspector Rebus, #8)
  • The Hanging Garden (Inspector Rebus, #9)
  • Dead Souls (Inspector Rebus, #10)

News & Interviews