Start by marking “Words and Their Digestion” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Words and Their Digestion

seventhswan

Words and Their Digestion

For someone who can't even think the word 'triangle' without giving into his compulsions, a love shape-that-can't-be-thought is quite possibly the worst place to be.

Words: 11,361 Complete
Online Fiction - Complete, 34 pages
Published August 27th 2011 by FictionPress

To ask other readers questions about Words and Their Digestion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Words and Their Digestion

Ami
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ami by: Emma Sea

Tanner is a young man suffers from -- uhm, I don't know what he suffers from actually. Some sort of compulsive disorder? All I know is that some words "hurt" him; for him they are pointy or prickly, and Tanner has Rules and Things to make his world in balance. He only has two friends, one of them is Japheth -- who recently brought his boyfriend, Roz, to meet Tanner. The thing is, Roz seems to understand Tanner and if he is not, he's willing to 'learn'. And he makes Tanner feels somethin
Kat
3.5 A good and fascinating read about a young student who gets through life with -- or despite -- obsessive compulsive tendencies and possibly a form or autism. I enjoyed the storyline and the fact that the author didn't wrap up each and every thread in a sickly sweet manner. Although I love short stories, in this particular case I thought those 25 pages were unsatisfyingly short. What I missed here was a little more depth and layers. It was a bit dry overall; several situations (the date, sex-n ...more
Emma Sea
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. No sex, just sweet. Just as good as seventh swan's other works. Hence why I am reading at 1.30am although I have to get up for work in five hours.
Lisa Henry

I really liked this. Tanner's voice was no unique.

What dropped the rating for me was the resolution: (view spoiler) I would have liked to see it end differently. The ending was very realistic, but sometimes I don't want realism. Sometimes I want everyone to get a HEA.

I also would have liked to see Japeth's POV. (view spoiler)
Chris
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chris by: Ami
Shelves: 2012, done, ebook, free, online, gay, romance
Very good short m/m romance about a college student who's probably somewhere on the autism spectrum and whose roommate is one of his few friends. And then his roommate gets a serious boyfriend...
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
I only meant to check this out, find out how long it was, and see if I'd like it. But once I started, I really couldn't stop. The writing is so beautiful, and the characters to perfectly flawed. It was just so utterly sweet and endearing. I loved it.
Camille Adams
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beautiful.

I really liked this one. Tugged on my heart.
Jo
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jo by: ami
This is one of those stories that has no reason to be as good as it is other than the fact that the plot is so unique (yes you grammarphiles there can be grades of uniqueness)and the writer is absolutely brilliant.

My philosophy on love has always been that it is not about not seeing their faults it is about the fact that those flaws in anyone else would drive you batcrack crazy but you will adjust and work around them for that person you love. That is how you see Roz's love develop and honestly
Katharina
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
4.25

I loved this!!! I really did. I loved Tanner, his relation to words, his personality. I loved how everything was phrased in this story - there's a lot of talent, of instinct in the writing. There isn't one scene or even one sentence I found unnecessary and that is saying something.

For me, it has the perfect length too, and the perfect ending - I don't think that this would have worked as well if it had been longer. But the shortness still made it hard to fully engage yourself into the story
Tutu
Sweet endearing story. Beautifully written. Such a shame it’s so short. I would love to read an extended version.

My loving this book is a huge thing because the subject it deals with is a difficult one.(view spoiler)

It’s not perfect, it could use some development but has that special something that makes you just FEE
Vivian
May 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Got to give it up for Tanner, he manages to function fairly well considering there are some pretty severe triggers in average daily activities. He soldiers on even when his crutches start to disappear. There's an anxious tone that underlies the sweetness that emerges.

Psst! Normal people do not wear mismatched socks. There is something disturbing about it.

Favorite passage:
Tanner starts to stumble back into panic. He can't teach the rules. They're not—they wouldn't make any sense to someone like
Hannah
3.5 stars.

A good story about a young man with a strange disorder which makes seeing, hearing, or even thinking about some words uncomfortable or even painful to him. He also struggles with some obsessive compulsive tendencies which are very believably depicted. I actually enjoyed reading about the main character better than I liked the romance, which left me feeling conflicted.
Anke
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read! I was captivated from the first page and couldn't stop reading til the end. I have to confess that I thought the story would move in another direction -all three of them ending up together - but the way in unfolded was perfect.
Tailtiu
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free, cute-sweet
4,5* upgrade because this is free and I paid money for worst books.
Nina
This has me a little conflicted on the rating.
On one hand, it reads a little dry, stiff almost; but on the other hand, that fits in perfectly with Tanner's character.

There were a few scenes when I wanted a little more - a little more insight, a little more emotion, a little more depth.
But at the same time it was all just right, when I look at it from a more distanced perspective. It's touching, it's sensitive, it's subtle. Everything that's narrated in it is very concrete and physical except for
Ayanna
Aww... that's nice.

It was really sweet. I actually can see some of the Rules (at least the word ones).

What can I say? It was sweet.

I am, however, more than a little perturbed Tanner's loss of one of his two friends.
Actually, wait. Both of his two friends.
I mean, yeah, he's got Roz, but I just...I just don't like it that it seemed he got Roz at the expense of his "only...two friends in his whole life."

For that reason, this only gets a 4 star instead of the 5 I was originally going to give it.

Muc
Jenna
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, freefic, ya, disability
Bittersweet love story; short but very well written with a unique and somewhat fascinating main character.

(view spoiler)
V
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I can described this book in one word, Endearing.
To be honest when I stared reading about Tanner, I really didn't care much about the romance part of the story.
Tanner suffered from OCD, Obsessive-compulsive disorder, he suffered from anxiety, unreasonable thoughts and fears, in his particular case he is afraid mostly of words.
For me, this part of the book was amazing, the way he behaved, the way he interacted with people.
His life must have rules otherwise, he can't function, and for one of those
Julesmarie
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: free, m-m
Intriguing concept.

Some Favorite Quotes:
What it didn't prepare him for was the whole business of people

looking forlornly at his left hand, which has not been shaken. It stings and feels very empty until Japheth reaches out and gives it a quick squeeze. "Better?" he murmurs. Tanner nods. "Alright." He smiles encouragingly and winks.
Lou~Silver Medalist in DNF's
This is the most original story I've read in a long time.

Initially it look a bit to get used to the writing style but it was so perfect for the story of a young man with a less than usual mental capacity and what that meant for him and others. Beautifully touching in Tanner's agony, and haunting in the understanding offered by his friends and lover.

Superb!
GrEatE
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-fiction
3.5*
oh what a nice read. I loved Tanner's Things and quirks.
Erin
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Tanner is a fascinating character and his affliction is written so beautifully well...how could anyone not love him? And the story (not wanting to give anything away by being specific) is one of the best representations of this particular theme I have read. I wish this were longer. I would love to see how Tanner functions in the "life after college" world.
Holly
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Sweet little story about a college student (probably somewhere on the autism spectrum) his roommate and the new boyfriend.

The narration was wonderful, it really seemed from the main characters point of view, awkward but endearing.

A good way to get a little reading done after lunch.
Yasmin
Lbarra
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, short-freebie
3.5 Stars

Unique MC and sweet story. The resolution didn't completely "sit well". Unfortunate what he lost to get a boyfriend.
Ika
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 6
One of my favorites.
Calila
This was amazing, especially considering how short it is. I wish there was more. I really loved Tanner and Roz. Even Japeth, though he takes some likability hits (it's understandable though).
Liz