Start by marking “Seduced by a Pirate (Fairy Tales, #4.5)” as Want to Read:
Seduced by a Pirate (Fairy Tales, #4.5)

Seduced by a Pirate (Fairy Tales #4.5)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  3,438 Ratings  ·  291 Reviews
Sir Griffin Barry leapt out of the bedchamber window at age seventeen after a very disappointing wedding night, drank a bit too much at the pub and woke to find that he'd joined the crew of a pirate ship! Years later, he has become one of the most feared pirates on the high seas, piloting the Flying Poppy, a ship he named after the wife whom he fondly (if vaguely) remember ...more
Published October 30th 2012 by Avon Impulse

To ask other readers questions about Seduced by a Pirate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seduced by a Pirate

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Charming, witty, romantic, sexy… I loved this novella! What it lacks in page count it more than makes up for in story, and that is how novellas should be done!
In Eloisa James's companion story to The Ugly Duchess, Sir Griffin Barry, captain of the infamous pirate ship The Poppy, is back in England to claim the wife he hasn't seen since their wedding day . . . but this is one treasure that will not be so easy to capture.
I’ll say it again, just in case I wasn’t clear: I. Loved. This. Story! I lov
Laura the Highland Hussy
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
review posted on Demon Lover's Books & More

***Some Spoilers-Ye be warned***

Don’t laugh, but I read this book because it’s International Talk Like a Pirate Day, and I felt the day wasn’t complete without a Pirate Romance.

Quick summary. Phoebe and Griffin are married as soon as Griffin is old enough. So he’s 17, but she’s 20. He’s slightly intimidated by the gorgeous siren he has for a wife and can’t do the deed *wink wink*

His solution is to run off and get drunk. Sadly, he’s scrawny and drunk
Jill
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it

Sir Griffin Barry, ex-pirate and ex-privateer, along with his cousin, James Ryburn has received a royal pardon. Gone for fourteen years, Griffin is back in England, determined to reunite with his wife, Phoebe. Married at seventeen to the beautiful, and older twenty-year old Phoebe, Griffin ran away on his wedding night, ashamed and mortified, got drunk, and was press-ganged into service on a ship heading to the West Indies.

This is a companion or follow-on to The Ugly Duchess which was his cousin
Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
We first meet Griffin Barry in Eloisa James book "The Ugly Duchess." That book being a fabulous read where James from that story meets up..(well actually is captured by Griffin)as the two have run off from their wives on their wedding nights for reasons of their own, and hook up together to roam the seas as "privateers" sanctioned by the government to attack pirates in which it kept the shipping lanes safe.After attacking one of these pirate ships both James and Griffin are seriously wounded and ...more
Letitia
Rating: B+ ... Heat: Warm

I was really excited to learn that Miz James was going to be releasing a companion novella to The Ugly Duchess. The moment that the brawny and bronzed Griffin limped onto those pages, I wanted to know more about him. And the poor wife he left behind for more than a decade.

Sir Griffin Barry is a pirate. And a husband. A very absent husband. After a calamitous wedding night, Griffin disappeared from England and ended up ruling the high seas as Captain of The Flying Poppy f

Lisa
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sir Griffin Barry and Phoebe were married by arrangement fourteen years ago and circumstances did not allow them to consummate the marriage and Griffin disappeared. It became evident that he left and became a pirate however he is freshly pardoned now for his works as a privateer and returns home to his wife...and her three children. Now a strong man, Griffin is ready for a true marriage with his lovely wife, even in spite of her evident betrayal. Phoebe is shocked to see Griffin back home and up ...more
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

Sir Griffin Barry has come home to England after over decade of being a pirate, his first though to see the wife he left on their wedding night when he was nothing but a scrawny 17 year old boy and hasn't seen since. When he sees her, he knows he will do anything he can to win her after years of neglect.

This is a novella in Elosie James' Fairy Tales series, and in Seduced by a Pirate it looks as though she has taken The Ugly Duckling and given it a twist! The duckling in question, Griff
edzkie♥§*.*§♥

Griffin Barry, a privateer, come home to England to his wife who he abandon on his wedding night who's name was on his ship, Poppy. Only to find out she is now a mother of three children, named Colin, Margarette & Alistair. But he doesn't harbor any hatred to his wife and still willing to claimed her as his with all her children. Seduced by a pirated is my much awaited book after reading Ugly Duchess and I'm hoping Griffin will have his happily ever after. Although this is not associated by
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Readers who follow me here on Goodreads may remember that I gave The Ugly Duchess, featuring Griffin’s cousin, James, a pretty harsh review considering how much I typically enjoy Eloisa James books. The biggest thing was that I blasted James for his infidelity, especially when he initially appeared remorseless about it.

However, even though Griffin was much more promiscuous than James, and just as married at the time, t
Sheryl
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Its "International Talk Like A Pirate Day" today, its only fitting that i read about pirates!!!

I confess this is my FIRST Eloisa James novel... really enjoyed it, proper review to follow... i'm now off to read The Ugly Duchess because that's the story of James (the other pirate, arr, matey... :) )

Thank you to Avon Books and Edelweiss for providing me with ARC copy to review.
Chitra *CJ*
"Seduced by the Pirate" is the story of Phoebe and Griffin.
14 years ago, a besotted Griffin married a merchant's daughter Phoebe in a drunk haze, and unable to consummate the marriage ran to the sea..
Living the life initially as a pirate, and later as a privateer- things change when he finally returns to his wife..and finds himself father to three kids!
Another addition to this Fairy tale series, this would have been perfect if the hero had respected his marriage vows on the sea. However, I did l
kris
Aug 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Sir Giffin Barry returns to his wife, Phoebe, after 14 years of naval adventures to discover his wife has Moved On. His boner is angry.

1. This would have been FAR more palatable except for the "she remained pure for him; he most emphatically DID NOT and also he's mad that there's even the slightest chance that she might have another lover because double standards are my FORTE".

2. The Phoebe / Poppy misunderstanding did not amuse me.

3. Ugh James.

4. There are better novellas out there, that is
Duchess Nicole
I loved this book! It was short but felt complete. Sir Griffin was introduced in the previous book, The Ugly Duchess. We know he left a wife behind in order to sail the seven seas and take up his pirating ways. We know he has a Poppy tattooed under his eye, and he named his ship the Flying Poppy, after his wife.

More of their story is revealed and it turns out to be a sad yet somewhat humorous story. Griffin left because he is a member of the upper classes, raised to take the place of his father
Sha Mslvoe
Recommended to Sha Mslvoe by: Sheryl
Beautiful, witty and sexy.
Aly is so frigging bored
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Review book thanks to Edelweiss and Avon

When I first saw Griffin in "The Ugly Duchess" my first tought was: "Please let Eloisa write a novella about him!" and later when I read that she will I was ecstatic! He has an interesting back-story, who deserts(or did he?:>:>) his marriage after 1 day, not even making it legal?! and a sardonic sense of humor, perfect!

The cat kind of represents Griffin :D

Just the introduction to the story made me laugh like crazy:
He didn’t relish the idea of stro
I love this series and have enjoyed all of the previous companion novellas but I have to admit that I was nervous about picking up Seduced by a Pirate because I didn't enjoy The Ugly Duchess as much as the previous novels. Thankfully I enjoyed the story a lot more than I expected to even though it has the same issue of a cheating hero as The Ugly Duchess did.

I think that the cheating issue bothered me less this time around because Griffin didn't claim to have been in love with his wife before he
Huma Rashid
Nov 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Boring and kind of bloodless, if that makes sense. It felt like there was a minute of angst, followed by everything happily falling into place. I realize that the format, since this is a novella, doesn't allow for drawn out angst and confusion and introspection, but I've read plenty of novellas that managed to hit the right angst note regardless, and packed a great punch for a short read.

This fails at that.

It was pretty boring, too, and I had to push myself to get through it, which is something
(Nat) Reading Romances
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
What. A. Pirate!

I really adored this book. It's fun, fast paced and has great characters. It's had to find well-balanced novellas, that leave you satisfied and pleased with it, without that sense of "unfinished business" in your mind.

Seduced by a Pirate was able to captivate and entertain. Eloisa James is such a great storyteller, we get to really see the character's personalities and t
heir background, and it doesn't feel rushed.

The pirate is sexy, the heroine is fierce, and overall it presented
Becca
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it
While I thought the likelihood of two people quickly falling for each other after 14 years of never seeing each other and not having any contact with each other prior to their marriage of convenience infinitely small, I somehow still enjoyed this. The setting was peaceful, the lead characters were likeable, and the children were adorable. A fluffy, angst-free escape if you don't think hard about the plot.
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
Adorable little short story Watch my video review
Paige  Bookdragon
This is different from the usual Historical/Regency romance books that I usually read.

I snooped at Angel's shelves. Sorry not sorry :)
Janga
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I smiled through every page. I <3 Griffin. Review will be posted at Just Janga later this month.
Kimberly
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
After fourteen years at sea as a pirate and privateer, Sir Griffin Barry is finally returning home. At least, that’s his plan. As Griffin hasn’t seen his wife since he was seventeen and leapt out of their bedroom window on their disastrous wedding night, he isn’t exactly sure his wife will let him through the front door, never mind welcome him into her bed. But Griffin isn’t a nervous seventeen-year-old anymore — he’s a pirate. And he’s determined to win the heart of the bride he left behind.

Wha
Jasmin
Sir Griffin Barry got a tattoo of a blue poppy on his face. He named his ship The Flying Poppy. All this for his wife named Poppy. The notion is actually romantic. If someone named a ship after me and got a jasmine tattoo on his face too, I would be swept off my feet. However, Griffin Barry's effort is a big major fail! His wife's name is not Poppy! It's Phoebe. The mistake is probably lucky, because as Phoebe said, The Flying Phoebe wouldn't sound so good on Griffin's ship.

Sir Griffin Barry was
Wicked Incognito Now
Unfortunately, I can't get completely behind this novella. I love Eloisa James, and her writing here is as smooth and addictive as all her other books. But I have the same problem with this hero as the hero in The Ugly Duchess...the hero leaves the heroine alone for FOURTEEN YEARS. She is left alone for 14 years, and then he decides he's ready to come home. That whole abandonment situation is completely glossed over and forgotten about. Now, he assists her financially, but still. 14 years as a m ...more
Lorraine Lesar
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This kept me entertained on a train journey to London. It was short, light and witty.
Griffin Barry does a runner on his wedding night and ends up a pirate! Ten years later...he returns, hoping to pick up the pieces - and pieces there were!
Phoebe (his wife) has always been an independent woman, even before she was married and that has not changed over the years whilst her husband was galavanting on the high seas. She likes the life she has now made and loves her children - oh yes, children.
The a
Jay
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, for-review
SEDUCED BY A PIRATE is a novella that is the companion story to THE UGLY DUCHESS. Unfortunately, I wish it had been the other way around as I quite enjoyed this story, while I hated THE UGLY DUCHESS. Even though SEDUCED BY A PIRATE is based on a plot device I don't enjoy-here, a bet between cousins to see who can bed their wife first-the actual story was a lot of fun, and I really liked Griffin and his Poppy. My biggest complaint about this novella is that I liked the characters so much I wanted ...more
MountainKat
Loved this! It was great to read Griffin's story after getting to know him in The Ugly Duchess. I loved him coming "home" to a whole family not just his virgin bride. His acceptance of the children just warmed my heart! I thought it was great that he had a good relationship with his father too. It was wonderful, my only complaint is that that I want more!
Missy
Too much talking, not enough romance.
Kelly22
4.00 Stars - Historical/Regency Romance Novella.
  • The Lady Most Willing... (Lady Most..., #2)
  • Beauty and the Blacksmith  (Spindle Cove, #3.5)
  • A Kiss For Midwinter (Brothers Sinister, #1.5)
  • How to Ravish a Rake (How To #3)
  • Deck the Halls With Love (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #2.5)
  • The Ice Princess (Princes Trilogy, #3.5)
  • The Earl with the Secret Tattoo (House of Brady, #1.5)
  • I Kissed an Earl (Pennyroyal Green, #4)
  • A Secret Proposal (Secret Brides, #1.5)
  • Three Schemes and a Scandal (The Writing Girls, #3.5)
  • Ten Reasons to Stay (School For Heiresses, #2.5)
  • Your Wicked Heart (Rules for the Reckless, #0.5)
  • Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal (The Duke's Daughters, #2; Windham, #5)
  • When You Give a Duke a Diamond (Jewels of the Ton, #1)
  • The Duchess Diaries (Boscastle #12; The Bridal Pleasures, #3)
New York Times bestselling author Eloisa James writes historical romances for HarperCollins Publishers. Her novels have been published to great acclaim. A reviewer from USA Today wrote of Eloisa's very first book that she "found herself devouring the book like a dieter with a Hershey bar"; later People Magazine raved that "romance writing does not get much better than this." Her novels have repeat ...more
More about Eloisa James

Fairy Tales (6 books)
  • A Kiss at Midnight (Fairy Tales, #1)
  • When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2)
  • The Duke Is Mine (Fairy Tales, #3)
  • The Ugly Duchess (Fairy Tales, #4)
  • Once Upon a Tower (Fairy Tales, #5)
  • Sentiments et convenances

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“Didn't it say it all that Griffin couldn't make it to his own bloody front door without a cane? For all his was mahogany topped with a dull ruby, and hid in its innards a vicious blade, in the end it was an old man's stick.” 1 likes
“He'd racketed around the world, collecting pirate's booty and investing it. Rather surprisingly, money made money.” 1 likes