Start by marking “Wicked Lies (Dark Mission #4.5)” as Want to Read:
Wicked Lies (Dark Mission #4.5)

Wicked Lies

(Dark Mission #4.5)

In this Dark Mission novella, Jonas Stone emerges from the shadows into his own story, and finally allows himself to have the same shot at love he's given his friends.

Jonas Stone has been given his first independent operation: rescue the insurrection leader's imprisoned grandson from the Mission. Getting the job done means more than getting Danny Granger out--it means sta
Published March 5th 2013 by Avon Impulse

To ask other readers questions about Wicked Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wicked Lies

Bark
Feb 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
Rating 3 1/2

Wicked Lies is book 4.5 in the Dark Mission Series. Don't be like me and read this one first. Grab the others and read them in order. Some reviewers say this story stands on its own and it kind of does because it's an intimate little snapshot into the romance between Jonas and Danny but there are many interesting aspects mentioned that left me wanting to know more. And I would've known more had I read the previous books. My fault entirely, I know, but I got excited when I heard a big
Jill
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review
****This book was part of a blog tour, I received a copy for my honest review****
I have never read a Karina Cooper novel before but after this short, I am officially curious as how the rest of this series goes.
Obviously when you start this book, there are things that are happening and characters you would know if you had read the previous books in the series. I felt a little disorientated, but that quickly stopped when I got into the characters of Danny and Jonas.
So we start this book with
Vanessa North
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked this story, I've read a few of the M/F romances set in the same worldbuilding, but I *think* this stands alone nicely. It was a sweet story but the part that stands out most in my mind is the smokin' hot first kiss--I'm a sucker for a good kiss scene.
Allison
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shorts
First off, go buy this now, all the proceeds are going to the It Gets Better Project and for $2 you get a fantastic story & you donate to a cause that deserves all your support.

I’ll wait......okay; glad to see you took care of that.

This is the story of 2 damaged men, Danny, very recently, mostly physically and Jonas, who has been that way for a long time, physically but mostly emotionally. This isn’t an easy read as it is a dark world that they live in but there was a lot that made me smil
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Overall Rating 4.5 out of 5.0 Stars

Summary

Wicked Lies weaves the tale of Jonas Stone- the battle weary operative who has seen more in his thirty odd years than most as he tackles his first independent operation- the rescue of Danny Granger- the grandson of his beloved leader from the clutches of the mission. After a daring escape, it falls to Jonas to make sure the young, confident, honest and breath-taking Danny recovers. Question is will Jonas ever recover from him?

Overall Impression

If the tru
Shari
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I admit, I read this series out of order. This is in fact the first time I have read anything by Karina Cooper, but I do know I want to read more. Because I jumped into an established series, I found myself not quite understanding the intricacies of Church, Mission, or even what the world building was. After I realized I was in the middle of a series, I decided to focus more on the characters and how they react to each other and not so much on the world that surrounded them.

We meet Jonas Stone h
Melissa
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Yep, I did it again... I read out of order. However, it's a novella and sometimes you can do that. It's often used to get readers who have not read a series interested. However, some are inserted right in the middle where you have to have previous knowledge to really "get" the whole scenario. This was a bit of both.

While I had no trouble with the romance within, it was a bit of a head scratcher to get into the world. I didn't get much information, but I did get enough so I wasn't completely lost
Jen Davis
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have been reading the Dark Mission books since the very beginning, and I was so surprised and excited when I found out A) this book is about Jonas; and B) it is a m/m novella. I have been intrigued by Jonas for, well, forever and I love that his character is gay and gets a romance of his own.

If you need a quick refresher, Jonas is the techie who worked for the Mission up until the end of the last book. His legs are messed up from an old injury. And he's always there to help out the heroes when
Michelle Leah Olson
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Pack Alpha - Michelle L. Olson:
*eARC received from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

Wicked Lies was an incredibly moving novella by the fabulous Karina Cooper & to make it even better, all proceeds are going to support a great Charity - the It Gets Better Project!

I love me some nerd, so when Karina had mentioned that Jonas's story would be coming up in a previous chat, I was very excited. In this crazy world of Supernaturals vs. the Church (where t
Nadia
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a really short novella, yet it was soo good it has made me interested in reading Karina's Dark mission series, since this is the first book I've read by her, and her first male on male romance. I didn't know what to expect.

I really liked it, I wish it could have been longer with more details, so I could get a better feel on the characters, but the storyline itself was very well written and I liked the characters differences.

The story revovles around Danny, being a prisoner and torture
Sapphyria
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 18+ Older Only
This is my first M/M review. I'll be honest, I wasn't really sure it would be my cup of tea going in. I'm glad I stepped outside my comfort zone and took a chance. I wasn't really sure what to expect but what I read was not it. Instead of being uncomfortable reading about Jonas and Danny, I was enthralled.

The Catholic Church and the government have teamed up to capture all witches in the area to enslave and use. There is a rebellion underway to take down this horrible organization and rescue al
Ginny
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: up-for-review
When I read that this was Avon’s first published M/M romance, I decided I needed to read it. I realize that M/M romance is out there but is definitely not mainstream unless it’s a threesome with a woman in between (check out Maya Banks, Lauren Dane, etc.)

In the face of the Catholic Church joining forces with the government to round up any and all witches to use for their own less-than-moral purposes, the world is torn apart -- figuratively and literally. An earthquake buried the majority of Seat
Stephanie  G
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Jonas is helping to get Danny out of the Church’s clutches. When Danny gets out, he still has to recover from his wounds. Jonas stays in a safe house with him, to help aid his recovery. Along the way the two men deal with their feelings for one another.

Wicked Lies is a short from Cooper’s Dark Mission series. If you haven’t read the series this short might confuse readers. On the other hand if you are a fan of the Dark Mission series, you might enjoy it or be disappointed Jonas was only given a
Pam
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jonas is given the very important job of rescuing the grandson of the insurrection leader. He knows exactly how important it is to save him before the Mission breaks him. When he gets Danny out he has to stay with him while he heals. Doing this is harder than it sounds because he is fighting his feelings for Danny. What started out as harmless flirting to keep Danny calm may become more. Danny is young but he knows what he wants and goes after it. He doesn't hide anything from anyone and he may ...more
Secretly Reading
Originally reviewed for The Book Vixen

In a Nutshell: Good MM romance with stellar beginning but slightly unresolved ending that bummed me out.

The Set Up: Jonas is tasked with leading his insurgent leader’s grandson out of prison to safety and helping him heal. Danny knows Jonas is his one but he has to convince the reluctant Jonas of this.

Why I Read this Book: This is a huge milestone for Avon publishing—their first MM romance! As an Avon Addict and an MM romance lover I knew I had to read this.
Vanessa theJeepDiva
Jonas reminded me so much of Penelope Garcia (Criminal Minds.) He is the techy genius and often just the voice the operatives get vital information from. He refers to himself as their touchstone. He is so much more and he doesn’t even realize it. His current operation has him getting the wrongfully imprisoned Danny out of the mission interrogation cell he has ended up in. Danny is a member of the rebel force that is exposing the secrets that the Church has buried for far too long

I LOVED Jonas an
Diana
I have heard many wonderful things about Karina Cooper and her Dark Mission novels but for some reason, I have a difficult time getting into them. I have purchased a couple of titles and been given others to review and I haven’t been able to finish a single one. According to several reviewers I follow, she writes action packed and smoking hot PNR, which is most definitely to my taste, yet I couldn’t finish them.

When Avon asked the Addicts to read this title, I hesitated. However, unlike her pre
L.E.Olteano
Fluttering Thoughts originally posted at Butterfly-o-Meter Books on MAR 26, 2013:

World Building: Awesome mix of paranormal and paramilitary-type of setting, it gets adrenaline pumping on all sorts of accounts. :D
Characters: Jonas and Danny were easy to love and they felt very real. They were both very charismatic and had awesome chemistry. Every emotion they had jumped from the page and bit at my heart, I loved them separately and as a couple. Their one on one was hot, intense but had also feel
Bex 'n' Books
Mar 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: bex-s-review
Reviewer: Bex
Rating: 3 out of 5 Fairies

Wicked Lies by Karina Cooper follows Jonas Stone on a mission that will turn his world upside down. Enter the handsome and confident Danny.

Wicked Lies was the first I've read in this series; this left me a little confused re the setting and the back story, but it gave me enough to get a grasp of the basics. That being said, I would urge readers to have read the previous books in this series.

However, I did enjoy this story; it's passionate, at times endearin
Chrystina Williams
What I Loved:
The characters were great, the romance was HOT, and I immediately wanted to know more about this series. I didn't read any of the previous books, which I really should have for this series, but I still enjoyed it and wasn't too lost. I absolutely loved the beginning of the book, and how Jonas and Danny meet. I also liked that their personalities and back-stories were so different, with Danny being comfortable with his sexuality and Jonas not, it made for some interesting conflict.

Wh
BBMoreB ~
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
The vivid writing style of this author created prevailing imagery. The descriptions of the scenery, circumstances, and temperament were consistent throughout.

I very excited to hear that Jonas’ story was being released; Danny is the perfect complement to his character. I was concerned, that with so little known about his character he would be unworthy of Jonas. I never should have doubted the author’s ability to generate infatuation and passion so intense it left no misgivings.

The compact {nove
Vanessa
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it
This was an okay read for me. It is #4.5 in Karina Cooper's Dark Mission series. I do believe that if I had have read the books in sequence, my reading experience would have been different. With that being said, I would recommend that you start with the first book in the series, Blood of the Wicked.

Wicked Lies begins with Jonas attempting to rescue Danny. Jonas part of an extraction team and Danny has been held captive and brutally tortured for several days. Since there was no background given,
Lisa Filipe
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-tour
First off, for anyone interested in buying this romance, just know your money will be going to the IT GETS BETTER PROJECT, which is an organization that I FULLY support as an anti-bullying advocate...or my own personal advocate!! So, please spend the money knowing that it's going to a GREAT cause!

Now, coming from someone who reads little paranormal romance, or M/M romances for that matter, I truly enjoyed this novella from Karina Cooper's Dark Mission Series. Jonas and Danny steal your heart wit
Patricia
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm so thrilled you got around to writing Jonas story. With his tragic pass he deserves a chance at happiness. And what a fantastic character Danny is to pair him up with. He is exactly what Jonas needs to push him past his thoughts on what the church finds appropriate and what his heart tells him is rright. A very positive lesson for others to carry forward in life. I'm pleased to know where the proceeds are going for this book. A very noble cause! I'm eagerly waitting for the last book in this ...more
Roxanna
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This novella blew me away. I have never read a m/m romance handled with such beauty and honesty. I am going to have to track down all of the Dark Mission books now. Karnina Cooper writes so well, I was on the edge of my seat at the beginning of the story. Wow.
Britt Marczak
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Karina for writing this book. Thank you for supporting not only It Gets Better, but every LGBTQ* person.

I loved the story of Jonas and Danny. Short, but effective. Touching and full of love. Everyone deserves their one.
Chelsea
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Full review to come. Until then: Danny is delicious and the right person to push Jonas's buttons. Sweet HEA.
Pure Textuality
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: avon-addicts
review coming soon!
Michael Phillips-townsend
When I checked out this book, I didn't realize it was in the middle of a series. Besides being confusing, it was poorly written.
Tracy's Place
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
3.5 out of 5
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Night Resurrected (Envy Chronicles, #6)
  • Last Vamp Standing (Vampires of Crimson Bay, #3)
  • To Hell and Back (League of Guardians, #1.5)
  • Hearts of Darkness (Deadglass, #1)
  • Beyond the Darkness (Offspring, #5)
  • When I Find You (Trust No One, #2)
  • Summer Court (The Tarot Witches, #4)
  • The Damsel and the Daggerman (Blud, #2.5)
  • Five Down
  • Secret Designs (Secret Dreams, #2)
  • A Kiss of Blood (Vamp City, #2)
  • Freshman: Uncut (Ivory Towers, #1)
  • Chaos Burning (Bound by Magick, #2)
  • The Talon of the Hawk (The Twelve Kingdoms, #3)
  • Crimson and Clover
  • First Rapture (The Rapture, #1)
  • The Shadow of Mudflap (Foxtrot Team, #1)
After writing happily ever afters for all of her friends in school, Karina Cooper eventually grew up (sort of), went to work in the real world (kind of), where she decided that making stuff up was way more fun (true!). She is the author of dark and sexy paranormal romance, steampunk urban fantasy, and writes across multiple genres with mad glee.

One part glamour, one part dork and all imagination,

Dark Mission (5 books)
  • Blood of the Wicked (Dark Mission, #1)
  • Lure of the Wicked (Dark Mission, #2)
  • All Things Wicked (Dark Mission #3)
  • Sacrifice the Wicked (Dark Mission, #4)
  • One for the Wicked (Dark Mission, #5)