Start by marking “Cemetery Girl” as Want to Read:

Cemetery Girl

Sketching was always a special gift and talent for Janie. It was her release from the pressures of growing up and her escape from feeling like she didn’t fit in. One day, while sitting and creating illustrations in the cemetery across from her family’s house, “special” took on a whole new meaning for Janie when her drawing revealed a hidden message from beyond the grave. S ...more
Nook
Published September 21st 2011 by Joseph Cognard

To ask other readers questions about Cemetery Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cemetery Girl

jv poore
A single cemetery evokes a variety of emotions.

Vanessa feels that a graveyard does not serve as the grooviest hang-out spot, even if it is private. Bobby sees the tombstones as mini history lessons, where Keith certainly seems to be searching for some kind of connection. But to Janie, the Cemetery Girl, comes comfort…even if the tombs tend to tickle a sort-of sixth sense.

None of the friends are wrong. Inside of the fence, there are stories to be shared. Sadly, the souls with so much to say can
Sam
Cemetery Girl follows Janie Kelly, a New York teenaged girl, over the course of a few months. Along the way we get to see what happens to her, meet her friends and discover her special talent related to her drawing.

I really did enjoy the story. It's quite gentle and bittersweet, and I did come to care about the characters and what happens to them. It captures the whole 'being a teenager' part of life quite well—school, family, friends, fears, worries, relationships—and the narration does give th
Terri Lynn
I received a PDF copy of this book directly from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Janie is a high school girl who lives for art. She is an excellent artist and a good student. While she is sociable enough, she enjoys being in the peace and quiet of a nearby cemetery and drawing on her art pad. This is something I can relate to because I too draw and paint and have always enjoyed being alone with paper, drawing pencils, paint, and brushes.

Janie first met Vanessa when they started mid
Maryjane
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I absolutely loved this book. It is a wonderful read for all ages and grabs your attention right from the beginning. This book kept me interested right up until the end. At times, I found myself laughing, feeling sad, and excited. It is a sweet story of a girl named Janie who just so happens to like drawing in the cemetery. Vanessa (her best friend) gave her the nickname of cemetery girl. It takes you through her school years and friendships that she has made while growing up. She learns a lot a ...more
Monica
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Janie is a high school junior trying to fit in with her classmates which is about to get harder when a new guy joins their class and she develops the ability to channel the dead.

Aside from the volleyball championship going on a bit too long for my taste and a few typos, I loved the book.

The crisp and descriptive narrative help drive the story as Janie and pals try to find their way and who they are, both as individuals and amongst others. The later journey is done both subtly and explicitly.

Ofte
Debra
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens and Parents
Recommended to Debra by: Author
Wonderful young adult paranormal romance story for teens. Very clean and fun. I love how this story incorporates art and the paranormal, it's a lovely twist! The characters personalities are strong and conflicts are dealt with wisely and true to real-life. Very enjoyable read. I received this book as a gift!
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
I was given this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Cemetery Girl by Joseph Cognard is about Janie, a girl who finds out she has an unexpected talent-- when she draws pictures in the cemetery, it reveals secrets from the dead who are buried there. To make things more complicated, she has to deal with high school life, jealous girls, and a guy that she likes. She also has to figure out how far her power goes, and do so without having people think she's crazy.

I really liked the st
Ruth B
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, romance, young-adult
Cemetery Girl is a funny and entertaining book. Janie is a young girl dealing with all the things growing up brings and with a special ability.

The story moves with an interesting rhythm. Most books have all the tension accumulated at one point of the book. Cemetery girl is like a rollercoaster. More than once, you get anxious and you see a key moment arriving. Suddenly the situation is solved and a new one start and again you beginning to wait for the resolution of a new part of the story.

I rea
Michelle
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story line. I would never have guessed the "solution" but it made perfect sense when it was revealed. I liked that the "popular girls" weren't a very large part of the book and weren't tormenting the heroine as often happens in such books.
Diana

I really enjoyed reading this book, I felt I could relate to each of the characters and thought the author did a great job with the characters. I would definitely recommend this book.

(Drawing was always a special gift and talent for Janie. It was her release from the pressures of growing up and her escape from feeling like she didn’t fit in. One day while sitting and creating illustrations in a cemetery, “special” took on a whole new meaning for Janie. Her drawings appeared to reveal hidden mes
Rebecca McNutt
Reminiscent of Neil Gaiman's works, Cemetery Girl is a wonderful story where drawings can hold keys to something magical and where friendship always prevails.
Violet
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well written book for young adults full of mystery super natural and interg. Would be a great choice to get your kids reading.
Laura P
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this book 2 stars.

The premise and overall concept of this book is great. Janie is a high school girl whose passion is drawing. She learns she has a special talent to draw something connected to the deceased. She goes to the cemetery, and is just "guided" to draw something. However...this piece of the plot probably accounts for about a tenth of the book. Maybe less. It was almost baffling how much irrelevant information was in the book. Paragraphs describing something, that ended up ha
Eren
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janie is a high school-er who loves drawing, since she liked to draw at the cemetery near her house, her "best friend" gave her the name Cemetery Girl. She had to wait for her mom one afternoon and goes to the cemetery, where she draws a man she's never seen. A widowed lady asks her how she knew her husband, and goes to tell her her husband is the man she drew. After the lady pays Janie for her drawing (even though she didn't want to take the money) she goes to her friend Bobby's house... and so ...more
Heather
I was given this as a free e-book by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Right, first off, let me say as I always say when I rate a book 3 stars, that a 3 star review is NOT a bad thing! In fact, I'd recommend this book.

Okay, I had trouble getting into this book. I found it a bit too slow paced for my liking.

However, a little over half way through the book, I really started getting into it! It became super interesting!! I loved the whole volleyball game chapter. That one was probably my
Carrie
I had a very difficult time getting into this book and almost abandoned it many times. However I was given a free copy in exchange for an honest review and had a duty to finish it. I was very excited with the premise of the book. I loved the idea of the dead talking to a girl through her drawings and while the idea of the story is enough to get me to take the plunge, the writing has to be there to keep me enthralled... unfortunately it wasn't there for me.

It all seemed very disjointed. The trans
Tonja Drecker
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't really sure what to expect when I started reading this and was delighted by how it drew me in. Although this is a paranormal, it had a sense of gentleness instead of the regular gusto this genre often has.

Janie has a special talent, and she takes it on with grace. She gives the impression of a very normal, high school girl. . .the kind which would be easy to be friends with. Her life isn't perfect, but she can handle it. Her friends are exactly what one would expect for this age group-
May Fungi From Yuggoth
May 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to May Fungi From Yuggoth by: Great Minds Think Aloud
Shelves: may-2012-reads
Adolescent Janie lives for her art, and she is accomplished. Unbeknownst to her, she is also mediumistic: she draws what is significant to a person, even if that person is long dead. When she discovers that (via a widow of a man she drew in the Cemetery), she and her best friend Bobby begin to investigate her capacity. Named “Cemetery Girl” by her other supposed-to-be best friend Vanessa, Janie spends much of her time in the graveyard near her house, just drawing (and unintentionally channeling ...more
April Alvey
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
~I received a PDF copy of this book from the author for purpose of an honest review. I was not compensated for my opinion, which is 100% honest, and my own responsibility. ~

This Book Was Ok Its Not As Good As It Could Have Been. Jamie IS A Girl Who Has A Talent For Drawing Who Finds That Going To The Cemetery Makes Her Draw Better. It Was A Good Read But It Could Have More Plots To The Story. I Have To Say The Author Did A Great Job With The Roles Of The Teen Age Girls It Was Spot On. I Still R
Danielle (Dannie)
Janie has an interesting artistic talent ... She can draw pictures that are important to someone who is deceased. Follow her adventures as she and her friends
try to figure out how well, and where, her talent works. The ending is a very surprising twist that I didn't see coming. The only thing that I would criticize is that there are a few spelling and grammar issues, but even with that I really enjoyed this book!
Melissa
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was given this ebook free in exchange for an honest review.

The book has a great concept and I'm hoping this is a rough draft of the book. I had a hard time staying focused on the book. I honestly hoped it would have been alot more about Janie and her drawing. I did enjoy the parts of the book about her.
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
Idea wasn't bad, but the execution was. If you write a book, at least have it proofread. Writing wasn't stellar, but the author could do better with someone to edit the writing and take out errors, cut unnecessary parts of the book, and spruce up sections. Pretty much skimmed the last half of the book to see what happened. Probably aimed for a young target audience as well.
Diane Westin
It was a pretty good read. Janie was very likable as was Vanessa a girl you could dislike at times. There was intrigue as Bobby and Janie try to find out if she can read minds any place as well as the love connection between the two of them. The action was a little slow at times but picked up well. I would recommend this book as a fun read on a rainy day.
Jessica Montgomery
This book was a good fun read. There were a couple parts that seemed to jump around. Overall the story held my interest and was easy to follow. I look forward to reading something else by this author.
Jenny
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-author
It has potential, but the placing of subjects, sentene structure, and some other things just need tweaking to be better. If you're not overly concerned with stuff like this, and would read it just for the story, it's a good book for you then.
Jeanine
The author was kind enough to gift me a copy of this book. the story is a good YA with a good premise. The book could use some editing: it detracts from the readibility unfortunately which is 3 stars rather than 4.
Catherine Mcgarity
Really loved the ending. Caught me totally by surprise.
Marisa Charles
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cool story, loved the main group of characters, could use some more editing.
Chris
Aug 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Premise of book good. A little predictable. Overall a good read. Nice job!
Tiffany Spencer
Nov 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cemetery Girl
Plot: This is about a girl named Jamie that discovers while sketching randomly a picture of a famous singer that she has a special gift. Never having seen the man she’s approached by his wife and is told the drawing looks incredibly similar. And then a detail *in* the drawing leads the wife to a secret place where a hidden recording given to him earned her a lot of money. Janie and her friend Bobby decide to take a trip to test this theory but low and behold it doesn’t work at *ever
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lovers of Paranor...: R2R {22} Cemetery Girl- Closed (Our Avg 3*) 26 93 Sep 18, 2012 07:00PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Cemetery Girl 1 5 Jul 08, 2012 01:09PM

• Conner (The Athol Trilogy, #1)
  • The Reaper Within
  • Let's Face It
  • Legacy of a Dreamer (Dreamer, #1)
  • The Seer
  • Try the Morgue
  • Lunangelique's Sleeping Gods
  • Nine Lives
  • Aaron & Keja: Time Dragon
  • Sky
  • Desert Flower (Desert #2)
  • Spiritus (Spiritus Series, #1)
  • Alice's Adventures in Steamland: The Clockwork Goddess
  • A Blazing Gilded Age
  • The Second Virgin Birth
  • Valens Remembered (The Valens of Legacy, #1)
  • Pledged (Soul Wars Saga, #1)
  • Disintegrate
One of my main interests, and, what I am so passionate about, being an author, is the joy of writing dialogue. I will often write the entire conversation of a chapter, and then complete the rest. So far, although both my books have been primarily Young Adult in nature, I do strive to make them appeal to all genres and audiences. I am not certain if I will remain in YA style forever, but, the stori ...more