Start by marking “Creative Lettering: Techniques Tips from Top Artists” as Want to Read:
Creative Lettering: Techniques  Tips from Top Artists

Creative Lettering: Techniques Tips from Top Artists

Hand-lettering techniques are a popular and visually dynamic way to add textual elements to crafts, from journals to mixed-media art. Sixteen accomplished contributors—including calligraphers, painters, collagists, card makers, fiber artists, and graphic designers—give their personal perspectives on lettering. They all offer their favorite tools, how they use them, their ...more
Published March 5th 2013 by Lark Crafts

To ask other readers questions about Creative Lettering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creative Lettering

Start your review of Creative Lettering: Techniques Tips from Top Artists
Parka
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
(More pictures on my blog)

Creative Lettering is a really fun book to look at if you're lettering or calligraphy work.

16 artists and their wonderfully handwritten and designed letterings are featured. Author Jenny Doh has done a great job seeking these artists out and showcasing their work.

The letterings are very beautiful and since they are hand drawn, they have lots of personality. Some have designed the whole set of alphabets. Others use letters as a design element for their illustrations.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
There is a lot of really beautiful lettering work in this book, although much of it is beyond my skills. Even the hard stuff is good for ideas, though. Some of the artists provided step by step instructions for their work as well as variations and other ideas. One went so far as to have a photograph for each step. Others had only the barest of instructions. The focus was definitely more on examples than on how to do them which means that some art skill is a good idea, too.

The designs are quite
Cara
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: skimmed-through
Seems good for those who are already good at lettering, but not so much for a newbie like me!
Jen
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This book and it’s other edition are probably great exercises if you’re already artistic or dabbling in hand lettering. I wanted to sort of know where to start and the books’ notion that if you can write the alphabet you can do hand lettering is maybe over-selling a tad. There were beautiful, colorful examples and stories from artists, nearly every one said some version of “I started doodling letters in 2nd grade and have been doing it since!”
Well, I didn’t doodle or create my own alphabets at
Emmy Williams
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great little art book. I’ve read a lot of books on hand lettering. This book had more than one artist and lots of various examples. If I were going to buy one book on hand lettering it probably would be this one.
Neha Thakkar
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well that was fun. I’m hoping to improve my lettering (just for me!) and this was a great idea book that I can refer to and redraw again and again.
Erin
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fine, but not as good as its sequel, More Creative Lettering.
Andrea
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
Examples of various artists' work, with full alphabets and helpful tips. Not so much a "how to" as inspiration.
Megan Price
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book had lots of different lettering styles and projects that the reader could follow along with.
Mycala
If you like letters and creative ideas, just do yourself a favor and go out and get everything Jenny Doh does because you won't be disappointed. I have absolutely no affiliation, just a great admiration and something of a fangirl artist-crush.

Whether you prefer classic or whimsical, print or script, black or color, there is a project in here for you. I have hours of fun ahead of me this week as I dive back in here for inspiration and make beautiful words.
Marie Z. Johansen
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was just placed in my hands, thanks to the publisher, and I am really pleased with this well done book! I'm kind of a calligraphy junkie, although truth be told, I have not put in enough practice time to call myself "good" at mark making, lettering and calligraphy, but I love the 'trying' to become good part!

"Creative Lettering" takes you through the basics of course; paper, pens, inks, paints & types of letters, but it goes far beyond the basics with sections written and designed
Linda
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-ideas
Lots of ideas; I like techniques presented by Jenny Doh.
Janalee
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
What I found most valuable in the book was finding out which pens/markers the artists preferred. I'm a pen junkie - always loving, hoarding and using every drop from my basic Pilots back in my teens. I even stoop to loving the cheapest Bic Cristal with it's thick, inky, leaky flow.

As always, I marvel at other's artistic lettering. I delighted in reading what letters were the favorites to write. I always have favorite letters and words that I could write and write all day. Ex: Wool and Roger. So
Tracey
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
crafts/hand lettering. Not so much of a primer, but if you've already got the basics of hand lettering, you'll definitely benefit from the mix of perspectives, covering everything from favorite writing instrument to sources of inspiration to different kinds of stylistic choices. My original teacher has a super-perfection style (she is a professional after all) that I don't quite have the patience for, so I am glad to see that there are plenty of others who prefer a 'loose and free' style as ...more
Mo
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not really what I was looking for. This is just a collection of different artists styles of writing, what their favorite letter is & their favorite writing tool to use. No alphabets that really impressed me & only hazy how-to instructions on replicating anything they've done.

For example: Step 1, draw a shoe shape. (The artist claims this is an easy shape to draw and assumes that opinion is unanimous so doesn't bother to break down that shape into smaller steps for someone who may
fleegan
Oct 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: art
This is not really a tutorial, although there are some guides. But it's really lovely to look at the different letter styles. I really enjoyed the short art talks the artists give, as well as their lists of favorite pens/brushes/tools. I see this book as a good starting point for some inspiration if you want to start doing some hand lettered things or doodle or sketch or whatnot.
Lori
Fun and inspiring book that highlights a variety of creative ways to write the alphabet. What I love is the peek inside the featured artists' minds - you learn their favorite letter, tools of the trade, tips, tricks, etc. This is a great book to have for all kinds of projects and I personally will use it to help improve my lettering in signs and such around the library.
Sharon Wildwind
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved this collection of comments and techniques from different letter artists. I found 7 keepers: letter styles I want to practice and experiment with. Great for anyone who wants to see letters in a lot of different ways.
Mary Keck
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I liked looking at the different styles of lettering. I especially liked Linda Schneider's and went and bought a pen she likes: Pentel brush-tip sign pen. I got it at Michael's.
Tif
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lots of great artist included in this book. Several of my favorites. This is a great book.
bookczuk
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review will be coming eventually if not sooner. I promise.
Sonya
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another great look at artists typography and lettering practices and pages. I got some great ideas and it was nice to see how other artists use their hand lettered work.
Ganeshraj R
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Learned some Techniques and ideas about Creative Lettering
Oscar
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Be careful; for every inspiring piece collected here, there are two really rough and ugly ideas. The included techniques are fine but not anything you haven't seen before.
Jennie Garcia
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great coffee table book! It has a few anecdotes about how they learned or how they were introduced to lettering. The lettering ideas were pretty good and possible for beginners.
Lisa
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Beautiful, unique lettering ideas and techniques in this book. Also fun projects to try for incorporating lettering into artwork. I'm inspired to practice my lettering and use it more in my art.
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I got this book and its sequel from the library for inspiration and a little direction and I was not disappointed at all. I am looking forward to trying out some new techniques!
Allie
This is a nice little book. A lot of it is cutesy scrapbook garbage, but there are also some really lovely letters and ideas. I especially like the instructions to make a soda can pen.
Natalie
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
This is so useful I may add it to my permanent collection. Living next to the library is the only thing that prevents me from buying a copy. (I NEVER buy books I can get for free.)
Douglas
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Pretty goofy overall, but a good way to remember some quick techniques if you're stuck in a rut.

• Mastering Hand-Lettering: Your Practical Guide to Creating and Styling the Alphabet
  • Words to Live By: Creative hand-lettering, coloring, and inspirations
  • 31 Days to a Happy Husband: What a Man Needs Most from His Wife
  • How People Change
  • Be Complete (Colossians): Become the Whole Person God Intends You to Be
  • The Biggest Story ABC
  • Trim Healthy Mama's Trim Healthy Table: More Than 300 All-New Healthy and Delicious Recipes from Our Homes to Yours: A Cookbook
  • Made Whole: More Than 145 Anti-lnflammatory Keto-Paleo Recipes to Nourish You from the Inside Out
  • Geography for Every Kid: Easy Activities that Make Learning Geography Fun
  • The Ugly Duckling
  • The Widow of Larkspur Inn (Gresham Chronicles, #1)
  • How the Bible Came to Us
  • Confessions of a Prayer Slacker
  • Home to Holly Springs (Mitford Years, #10)
  • Shepherds Abiding (Mitford Years, #8)
  • Riven
  • The Silver Lining: A Practical Guide for Christian Grandmothers
  • Light from Heaven (Mitford Years, #9)