Start by marking “1,000 Incredible Costume and Cosplay Ideas: A Showcase of Creative Characters from Anime, Manga, Video Games, Movies, Comics, and More” as Want to Read:

1,000 Incredible Costume and Cosplay Ideas provides a broad and detailed glimpse into the ingenious artistry and attention to detail behind some of the most fabulous costumes you can find. Featuring costumes from popular convention-goers to professional craftsman, this stunning, photo-filled book by Joey Marsocci and Allison DeBlasio of Dr. Grymm Laboratories walks you thr ...more
Published May 1st 2013 by Quarry Books

To ask other readers questions about 1,000 Incredible Costume and Cosplay Ideas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1,000 Incredible Costume and Cosplay Ideas

Sonia
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafts
While I appreciate the hard work all of the contributors put into their costumes, the book itself wasn't so great. It's basically a photobook, but the quality of the images is mediocre, which I think was mainly due to the production of the book. The collection felt a little lazily put together. Various photos of the same people in the same costumes would count as multiple entries within the "1000" count. For example, one photo of River Song and Doctor Who together, then the next entry would be t ...more
Megalion
Like other reviews say, just a photo book of pretty and skinny people in cosplay. No descriptions or interviews or any in depth content. Oddly, many photos are headshots only while a couple people IN THE SAME costume get more than one photo.

Very biased compilation. Better off perusing online galleries. Glad I didn't pay for it. Also DFN because it got repetitive. Especially for lack of decent full body photos of the ones I did want to see.
(Jen) The Artist Librarian
As others have said, it's an okay photobook, all pictures, no interviews really ... and the typos and organization leave something to be desired. I recommend taking a look at Cosplay World by Brian Ashcroft as a alternative.
Loveliest Evaris
This book...

At first made me feel like this.

Then like this.

And finally, like this.

description

I have many things to complain about this collection. As a devout anime and manga fan, and as an enthusiastic sideline cheerleader for great cosplay of basically any and all fandoms (just because I don't like Dr. Who or One Piece doesn't mean that what a cosplayer did isn't worth merit ^_^ ), I had so many issues with this book.

#1. THE CHOICES

If this book is supposed to be about INCREDIBLE cosplay and costume idea
April
Oct 27, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The only thing this book would be good for is if you had a friend or family member who didn't own or operate a computer and you wanted to show them examples of what cosplay is so that they could appreciate the artistry in the hobby. Some of the costumes are amazing, but many are just average- it is the quality of the photography that made them worthy of inclusion. I cosplay and this book did nothing to help me come up with ideas for how to create better representations of the characters I love. ...more
Misha Hamu

As far as the title goes- it's lying. There are not 1000 ideas. There are 98-something pictures of pretty people in pretty costumes, with the remainder being props. Often several of the same person, or the same costume, or both.

Lazy, sloppy editing. The organization is weird, with the photos being placed in no particular order. Sometimes they seem thematically grouped, but mostly they don't. You'll have pages where it's eight pictures of the same character, with one other picture of one from a
Samma
Dec 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Titling this book with "idea" is kind of misnomer. It's really a ("Professional") Cosplay/Costume Photobook. I say ("Professional"), because many of those photoed are NOT amateur cosplayers. Most, if not all, of these cosplays took hours of work and were not by any means "slap-dash" or "Last minute". They are a joy to look at! Certainly a collection of the best-of-the-best there is in Cosplay.

All that aside, it's an interesting look at what an be done with cosplay. I did like it because it inclu
Jul 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
Beautifully photographed and the layouts complement each other. However, I hoped this would be more of a reference book. It would have been nice to have the characters organized by show instead of randomly spread out through the book. And although Cosplay IS mostly related to Anime, I would have liked to see more attention directed to Video Game, Movies, and Comic characters. Lovely to look at though.
Aya
Jul 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Hugh reference guide of costumes from a variety of games, animes, tv shows, comics, and more. This is strictly a book of professional-grade photos of detailed/well-constructed costumes, no tutorials or discussions on costume construction but a place to start when searching for possible costumes. Major complain, no tutorials or basic costume construction information.
Tina
Jan 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is just a collection of cosplay and costume photographs- many of which, I've already seen online or on Pinterest. There's no useful text, no real costuming or prop creation advice. It's just lots of pictures with captions. Not very helpful or inspiring if you're trying to create your own costume.
Scott Vela
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was pretty cool. This mostly a book profile of different Cosplays. My only thing is I was looking for a reference I could use for a Male Cobra Soldier Costume from Gi Joe. So Im going to have to use refrences from the 80's cartoon and comic books. Also if there was more of a how to. I'm intrested how they do it as a Artist myself just very curoius.
Joe Crawford
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Confusing layout. Barman characters under multiple headings. Not truly 1000 ideas, because customers are reused in different poses, or in one of Boba Fett, a closeup of a previous picture is used. characters are mislabeled as well.
Christina
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Came across this at the library. Started flipping through, and decided to check it out. It's just photos of costumes people have made, often photographed in unique settings, from around the world. Most of the costumes were good, and a few were very impressive.
Amber
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book just proves that some people have both too much time on there hands and too much money. After saying that all the costumes were wonderful. My two sections I liked the most were the Movies + Books and the Comic Books.
Lisa
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
this book was ok i guess that i would have liked it more had i been a big fan of graphics and video games i really only knew the characters from the movie and tv part of things i wanted to be impressed but i just didn't like it.
Beck Frost
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Too much Yaya Han and not enough amateur costumes. People who purchase this are probably looking for easy ways to start dressing, and seeing so many professional costumes can be daunting. I would say that this is for the serious cosplayer for reference, but otherwise check it out of a library.
Adam Fisher
Nice collection of good cosplay. I've seen tons better, and I feel like this book could have contained more of that (but that's what the Internet is for lol) and this is a good representation of what it wanted to be.
Recommend, and bravo to all the hard work that goes into these costumes.
Amber
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The craftmans ship was awesome.
Blue Mountains Library
this book is so packed with creative and colourful photographic Cosplay inspiration, I should be more than ready for Free Comic Book Day 2015!

N.O
frogfairie
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you love to dress up and are looking for inspiration, give this book a try!
Ley
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really cool.
Ama
I had hoped for more info about the costumes. This is essentially a book of photos of what seems to be mostly professional cosplayers. Several repeated costumes with the same people wearing them.
Ashley
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Great pics of folks in costume! I'd love to do it someday!
Sharon
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A photo album of fantastic, creative costumes. If you go to Comicon or Dragoncon and take dozens of pictures of the attendees in costume, this book is for you. Thoroughly enjoyable and impressive.
Lisa Geddes
Its just a look book really
Anna
Dec 07, 2016
Melinda
Jul 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Yaya Han is a Chinese–American cosplayer, model and costume designer based in the United States. She is a regular judge at cosplay competitions. Han was featured on the Syfy channel's Heroes of Cosplay, and has appeared as a guest judge on the TBS reality show King of the Nerds multiple times.[8] Han was named one of the top ten most popular Cosplayers in 2014.