Start by marking “20 Ways to Draw a Cat and 44 Other Awesome Animals: A Sketchbook for Artists, Designers, and Doodlers” as Want to Read:

20 Ways to Draw a Cat and 44 Other Awesome Animals: A Sketchbook for Artists, Designers, and Doodlers (20 Ways to Draw)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  125 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
This inspiring sketchbook is part of the new 20 Ways series from Quarry Books, designed to offer artists, designers, and doodlers a fun and sophisticated collection of illustration fun.

Each spread features 20 inspiring illustrated examples of 45 themes--cat, giraffe, seal, elephant, whale and much, much more--over 900 drawings, with blank space for you to draw your take
Published May 1st 2013 by Quarry Books (first published January 1st 2013)

Be the first to ask a question about 20 Ways to Draw a Cat and 44 Other Awesome Animals

Dana
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I know that this is a pretty high rating considering
a) it's not even a real book (at least by some standards, as it's partly labeled as a sketchbook )
b) at least 1/4 of it is blank... there's blank space on every other page at least.
c) most of the illustrations aren't even in colour.

However, the four stars I gave this book is not relative to others; my personal satisfaction regarding this book was insanely high for almost no reason, except that I really really like looking at the gorgeous ill
Kara Decarlo
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Not really a drawing instruction book, more of a peek into an artist's sketchbook.
sleeps9hours
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love it! One of my favorite art inspiration books to use with my daughter who likes to draw. It doesn't show how to draw, but has lots of cute animal examples that are fairly simple. Julia Kuo is by by far our favorite artist in this series.
Mary Cherry
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I purchased this book for my daughter, at the time a third grade elementary school teacher, to use in some of her art projects with the students. It did not disappoint, showing with imagination and examples that, while there are many ways to draw something, there is no right or wrong way. This is perfect for that age group, since they often feel anything they draw should look like the example. This gets rid of that notion and helps them see that ow they express themselves in drawing is thier own ...more
Sparrowapril
Aug 09, 2015 marked it as reference
Shelves: art
You can see a preview of this book on Amazon. it is not instructional as in what strokes to draw. It includes several simple pictures of each item for inspiration. There are a lot of solid shapes with the details left negative which could be difficult to draw, but if the solid is done in a pale color the details could be added in a darker shade.

There is enough here for my purposes, which is to spark some new items for doodling.

Many reviewers seemed to be expecting something different, If you ca
Cat Fithian
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I wanted this book to be more instructive than it is. What it turns out to be is a sketchbook with lots of different kinds of each animal, drawn and printed in stark black and white. They're interesting, I can see kids getting inspiration from them, but there isn't any actual instruction or "how to" in the book. My overall feeling: meh.
Sarah Lee
It was a cute book, but I was hoping for something more instructional and less journal like. It has lots of premade doodles to help get your ideas going if you want to copy them, but with no instructions on how to do so. Categories of animals with some blank areas to doodle in your own.
Amanda
Nov 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute. What an OK book of clip art... not what I was looking for... and really of no use as a tool for Artists or Designers, though maybe for Doodlers?
Rift Vegan
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I paged thru this delightful book... and then I drew a penguin on some correspondence! Yay Doodling!
Alivia
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Vi
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
more like glorified clip art with room to draw, but simplified so that artists can learn some basic ideas of representation.
Elizabeth Bonet
Crystal
Aug 04, 2014
Jeani
May 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
No instruction. It's more like 20 drawings of cats to look at and 44 other animals. Easier done on Pinterest.
Marcelo Siqueira
Oct 26, 2016
Rachel Rajkumar
Nov 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • 20 Ways to Draw a Tree and 44 Other Nifty Things from Nature: A Sketchbook for Artists, Designers, and Doodlers
  • Creative Illustration & Beyond: Inspiring tips, techniques, and ideas for transforming doodled designs into whimsical artistic illustrations and mixed-media projects
  • Playing with Image Transfers: Exploring Creative Imagery for Use in Art, Mixed Media, and Design
  • Art Journal Freedom: How to Journal Creatively with Color & Composition
  • Origami Masters Bugs: How the Bug Wars Changed the Art of Origami
  • How to Attract Good Luck: And Make the Most of It in Your Daily Life
  • Greatest Clicks: A Dog Photographer's Best Shots
  • Emotion, Conflict and Back Story (Writing Active Setting #2)
  • No Excuses Art Journaling: Making Time for Creativity
  • How to Sell Your Crafts Online: A Step-by-Step Guide to Successful Sales on Etsy and Beyond
  • The Bee Bully
  • The Healthy Homemade Pet Food Cookbook: 75 Whole-Food Recipes and Tasty Treats for Dogs and Cats of All Ages
  • Chicky Chicky Chook Chook
  • Stairway to Awesomeness!: 30 Fundamental Steps to Living a Life of Awesomeness!
  • The Daily Writer: 366 Meditations To Cultivate A Productive And Meaningful Writing Life
  • Show or Tell?: A Powerful Lesson on a Critical Writing Skill
  • The Sewing Bible: A Modern Manual of Practical and Decorative Sewing Techniques
  • Totally Tangled: Zentangle and Beyond
Hello, friend! When I was young, I was so addicted to drawing that my brother would exploit me by selling me copy paper for 3 dollars a sheet. Now he is an economist and I am a starving artist. I also wonder how I had the money to buy such expensive drawing paper.

I am an illustrator working out of Chicago for most of the year and Taipei over the winter.
Notable clients include the New York Times, U
More about Julia Kuo

20 Ways to Draw (10 books)
  • 20 Ways to Draw a Dress and 44 Other Fabulous Fashions and Accessories: A Sketchbook for Artists, Designers, and Doodlers
  • 20 Ways to Draw a Tulip and 44 Other Fabulous Flowers: A Sketchbook for Artists, Designers, and Doodlers
  • 20 Ways to Draw a Butterfly and 44 Other Things with Wings: A Sketchbook for Artists, Designers, and Doodlers
  • 20 Ways to Draw a Doodle and 44 Other Zigzags, Twirls, Spirals, and Teardrops: A Sketchbook for Artists, Designers, and Doodlers
  • 20 Ways to Draw a Mustache and 44 Other Funny Faces and Features: A Sketchbook for Artists, Designers, and Doodlers
  • 20 Ways to Draw a Strawberry and 44 Other Elegant Edibles: A Sketchbook for Artists, Designers, and Doodlers
  • 20 Ways to Draw a Jellyfish and 44 Other Amazing Sea Creatures: A Sketchbook for Artists, Designers, and Doodlers
  • 20 Ways to Draw a Bike and 44 Other Incredible Ways to Get Around: A Sketchbook for Artists, Designers, and Doodlers