Start by marking “Falling (Hemlock Bay, #1)” as Want to Read:
Falling (Hemlock Bay, #1)

Falling (Hemlock Bay #1)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  486 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
For sixteen-year-old Bixby, the last few years have been a misery of loss and rejection. Her mother’s death, her grandmother’s Alzheimer’s and her father’s despair and distance have robbed her of the family she once had. With only her brother Lincoln and her imaginary friends from the town she dreams of every night on her side, she struggles on.

But then Lincoln is killed i
Published August 20th 2012 by Amber Jaeger (first published August 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Falling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falling

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Actual rating: 1.5 Stars

Sixteen-year-old Bixby's life is falling apart: her mother died, her father is distant and barely ever at home, she constantly has to care for her grandma who has Alzheimer's, and recently her older brother, Lincoln, was killed in a car accident. Bixby only finds solace in visiting an imaginary town in her vivid dreams. There, everything is under control and she always has friends. But then, a stranger appears in her dream world––a boy named Jordan, who offers to bring he
Moira
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: aj, fantasy-romance, ya
27.5.2017 - 3,5*
Tahle kniha měla potenciál. To mě asi štve nejvíce, jak dobrá mohla být, ale provedení tak... pokulhávalo.
Nemluvě o konci, který mě zanechal zatraceně naštvanou. Vážně, skončilo to tak jen proto, aby autorka měla jednoduchý nájezd na další díl, místo aby... nevím, charaktery byly inteligentní, zaznamenaly nějaký emocionální vývoj? Navíc to bylo příliš nečekané (ve špatném slovasmyslu, aka božská ruka autora)... (view spoiler)
Radiant
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I definitely didn't think this book will be interesting..but damn i loved reading it ..
Bixby is a normal 16 year old..well not normal exactly.. her mother died years ago,her father doesn't care a bit about her,her grandmother has been weird enough and the only thing that kept her sane and safe -her brother Linc- is Dead!
And to top it are her strange dreams and a more weird stranger who asks bixby for a weird agreement to give her back something she want mostly and is trapped in a weird in betwee
Chanelle Solomons
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible! The story line is great, although there were two things that I did despise in the book. The intense amount of secrets! It thoroughly drove me crazy! I was about to find all the information I needed on the internet, although I was a nice little girl and didn't do that! I read this intense book and surprised to find that, by the end of the book, I was still skeptical! Which was the second reason I was slightly pissed off. Additionally how this book does end.... badly.

Alth
Afton Nelson
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
This book didn't feel as polished as "Cold King." The spelling, grammar and editing errors distracted from my enjoyment of the story. Fairly weak on character development. I didn't even understand why Bixby liked Jordan, let alone why Jordan liked Bixby. They just did. The writing was weak and did a lot of telling and not much showing. One thing that was well done was the pacing. The drama leading up to the end of the story was quite compelling and satisfying enough that I immediately picked up ...more
Reeannun
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I will start first by saying this, I NEVER read YA. However, I couldn't pass this one by. I am so very glad I didn't! There is a lot going on in this book, Amber did a great job of weaving a wonderful setting, great plot and terrific characters! I ended up unable to stop reading this book and finished it in one sitting/day. My only complaint is it ended in a cliffhanger, darn, I hate when that happens! I can't wait for the next book in the series!
Jennifer Kaster
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and I would read more books in this series. The only thing that bugged me was the main characters name...
Sabrina
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
a young high schooler with a lot on her plate. a jerk of a father, a very sick grandmother, feeling like an outcast at school, and just sad. two weeks after her brother dies in an accident, she begins to see this guy that seemed suspicous, and claims he has feelings for her since her mother died. this story has a great climbing point to the climax...but, the climax is to continued in the next book. that part is annoying. to find out what happens you have to read the other books...gggrrrr. other ...more
Sarika
Abbie
May 01, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While in Nightmare town, A world only entered through Bixby's dreams, She comes face to face with a very inquisitive stranger.

He offers to bring her brother back from the dead, and all he wants in return is to find out more about her world.. or so Bixby thinks.

Bixby really annoyed me, She was so naive. Why would you agree to some strangers offer, when you haven't asked what it fully entails?
He's saying he can bring your brother back, who's supposed to be dead and you think all he wants from you
Kathryn
Aug 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: most-annoyed
Wow! and I don't mean that in a good way. This was bad like I want to pull my hair out bad. I couldn't stand the girl, she had no backbone and let others push her around. She does all the work and cooks. Her brother and dad don't do anything and she forgives them after they came back for seconds. I would've been pissed and demand they help instead of letting me do all this crap. Then her brother sets her up on a double date with his friend and complains that she's being a stuck up bitch and when ...more
Krissy
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
It was a cool idea but it didn't pan out. In short, Bixby is an annoying main character who hates friends and being pretty and loves hot guys who force her to do things against her will and are physically abusive. Bixby's father sounds more like a teen than an adult. Bixby's brother is way more likeable than she is, despite the author's intent to make you feel sorry for Bixby since the brother has a life and she doesn't. She doesn't have a life because she's busy feeling self-important and looki ...more
Rachel Mathews
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think my overall rating of this book would be a 3.5 star. This book really was good, and the plot was appealing enough...but it seems that I gave it a bit much credit before actually reading it.

Don't get me wrong, the plot of this is truly unique and original. I love how the author used dreams to transport the main character elsewhere, instead of (s)he getting sent there in real time and completely disappearing. It just happened that, while the book was good, it didn't spark a complete interes
Matty-Swytla
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
I don't know how or why, but this story just pulled me in and didn't let me go. :D It's short and filled with mysteries, lots of refreshingly new mythology (djinn!), and a compelling main characters. Bixby is a very good sister, daughter and granchild. She basically keeps the household up and running, and then is also the (as of yet unexplained) Nightmare Town in her dreams that she visits almost every night. Then she unvittingly falls into a trap by djinn Jordan in order to save her brother and ...more
Michelle
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought this was good. Who has not had a dream that you could not distinguish fully whether you were awake or asleep? It was different concept than other books. I wished she had talked more to Uncle David to find out more, I think he would have shared more if she had not panicked and left. I can't wait to read the next book to see what happens. Where did Linc go? What secrets did Grandma have hidden? What of the mysterious blond with the silver bracelets... the list goes on. I thought this was ...more
Wanda Hartzenberg
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Ok, so the book was good!
Plot moved fast and was filled with action.
The characters, especially the main protagonists were nicely fluffed out!
Story line was new and unique in my reading experience.
My one problem was the lack of tension between the love interests. That, was solved at the end of the series.
This was one of the best ends ever?  Unpredictable and fresh and I loved the fact that the author decided that breaking the mold is a good thing.
WaAr

Cu
Kelli
Oct 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
I was fairly excited to read this book because I was looking for something apart from the ordinary and the few reviews this had were positive, so I thought I would give it a shot. I gave up after seven chapters. I wanted to enjoy this book, but I hated all of the characters, and I do not really care what happens to them. Jordan is creepy, I do not like Bixby at all, and I really just want to reach through my screen and punch her dad in the face. All in all, not my cup of tea.
 Bella Marie
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I liked it more than "the mind readers". I liked the story, awsome awsome story, I liked the characters, everything. Best of all was how the author end it. It totally rocked!! It did had a touch of reality too....Bixby in the juvvie. But I like it though I read it as quickly as I could.The author screw it up a little after the weird meeting Bixby had with another girl like herself but thats ok. too.I read it in one day and it is in my immidiate plans to continue it along with Existence.
Jodi Woody
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a good YA paranormal book. The main character is likeable and flawed. Some of the other characters could have been fleshed out a bit more, but still good writing. There are some editing errors, but that type of thing isn't a big issue for me. I enjoyed the fast pace and twist in this book.No sexual content, some mild swearing, very mild violence. I can recommend for teens and up. Moving on to book two right away.
Nadene
Sep 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I wasn't convinced this was going to be a good book because the proofreader did such an absolutely terrible job of checking the grammar that I almost chose not to read past the first page. It was well worth the effort and I really loved it! I just really wish the author had taken the time to check the proofer's work.
Laura Clode
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty awesome and I finished it in one sitting, when I was reading a few of the other reviews I thought it would be cheesy and boring but you literally have no idea what's going to happen next. One second she's just about coping and ten words later everything's fallen apart. It's unique and I give it a very high score.
Alexandra
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Bixby is in a very unfortunate position. I felt sad for her throughout the book. She is being manipulated and abused by everyone around her and lady luck isn't turning her way. I hope as the story goes on that her fate will turn around. It was sad how the story ended. I wish Bixby the best luck with everything she's got going on.
Lacy Osman
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

This book wasn't what I expected. I was hooked from the beginning and found Bixby's story to be unusual and full of mystery. I'm interested in reading the next book to see where the author takes this story.
Erin Bullock
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is really a 3.5. I'm subtracting 0.5 because it ends just when it's starting to get really good! Can't wait for the sequel. This isn't a masterpiece by any means, but it is original and heartfelt which I appreciate.
Gina
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Great book and storyline about a dream world but talk about ending abruptly. It was like the author was typing and the editor said, "Okay, that's enough" and ripped the last page out of her hands before it was finished. Other than that, the book was very enjoyable to read.
Louise
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was kind of an emotional rollercoaster for me. I didn't even like it that much but perhaps I'm going to read the next book because I would like some answers. The ending made no sense whatsoever...
Joy
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed here:
Amazing concept.Jordans character is very different than most supernatural heroes and his world is really well crafted.

Shayna Varadeaux
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book surprised me! I like the storyline and Amber got my attention. I am looking forward to seeing Bixby's story unfold!
You know I like a book when I HAVE to know what happens next!!!"
Tenille Berezay
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Started out good and kept getting better!
Jamie Hills
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Couldn't stop till I finished it, then went straight into Winters Dream (#2) I am very excited about this series and can't wait to read the third one! Hope I don't have to wait long!
  • Survival (The Guardians of Vesturon, #1)
  • Blue Violet (Svatura, #1)
  • Heaven High (East Lake Series #1)
  • Gravity (Gravity, #1)
  • Dangerous (Element Preservers, #1)
  • Beginnings (The Trifectus Series, #1)
  • Serenity (Afterlife, #2)
  • Witchy, Witchy (Spellbound Trilogy, #1)
  • Rua (Rua, #1)
  • Intuition (Intangible, #0.5)
  • Vanish (Vanish, #1)
  • Tempest (Destroyers, #1)
  • Cursed (The Devil's Roses, #1)
  • The Watchers (The Watchers, #1)
  • Parallel (Travelers, #1)
  • Fledge
  • Inevitable
  • Death Whispers (The Death Series, #1)
Amber Jaeger is the author of five novels, including the completed Hemlock Bay series. When she's not working on the next King book, she can be found camping, cooking or wherever the cat happens to be napping. The Dragon King is forthcoming in Fall 2016.
More about Amber Jaeger...

Hemlock Bay (3 books)
  • Winter's Dream (Hemlock Bay, #2)
  • Seasons End (The Hemlock Bay, #3)

“FALLING   Book One of the Hemlock Bay Series A Novel   By Amber Jaeger” 0 likes