Start by marking “Catskinner's Book (The Book Of Lost Doors)” as Want to Read:
Catskinner's Book (The Book Of Lost Doors)

Catskinner's Book (The Book Of Lost Doors #1)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  132 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Catskinner's Book is a science fiction/urban fantasy novel set in a surreal world unlike any that you have seen before.

James Ozryck has a monster in his head.

All of his life the entity that he calls Catskinner has made him a fugitive, afraid to get too close to anyone, afraid to stay in one place for too long. Catskinner kills, without compassion and without warning, and
Published August 25th 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published August 24th 14)

To ask other readers questions about Catskinner's Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catskinner's Book

Jen Ponce
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
"tonight the walking meat that has done this will sleep
tonight they cling to the skin of the world
tomorrow they will fall beneath the shadow of great black wings"

Catskinner's Book is a solemn, moody story with a pretty fantastic titular character. There are a lot of questions left unanswered and, like some of the three star reviews, I think that the end was almost a letdown from the fantastic eeriness the author builds throughout the story.
We meet James, who works in a hardware store that's actu
K.J. Charles
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi, thriller
A really cool horror/thriller premise about a man with a demon living on/in him. I liked Catskinner's voice and the interplay between him and his host. The first half blew me away, the second part felt less tightly plotted and intense. But I will be reading more from this author when I can.

3.5 stars rounding to 4 because a) fantastic premise and b) price.
S. Policar
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing

This is definitely one of the stranger books I've read. It's gripping from the first page.
You first meet James who seems to be your everyday nutjob with an alter ego named Catskinner that loves nothing more than the thrill of the kill.
He works in a faux electronic store for a man named Vincent who for whatever the case may be, Vincent lives like a snowman in perpetual cold climates.
This book is VERY descriptive. You get lost easily within the spine of this wonderful story and quickly lose trac
Robert Defrank
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Burnett takes readers on a far-out ride, showing wonders and horrors under the surface of the mundane world. As a child, the main character was forced to play host to Catskinner, a sadistic, murderous, alien being, now channeling these qualities as a killer for hire.

Soon enough, he finds his way into a wider, wilder world of terrifying alien beings from the outer spheres and the people who serve, resist, or try to profit from them. Our hero must rediscover his own humanity in the fight against e
Adam O'Grady
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A surprising, excellent tale that blends contemporary fantasy and scifi with a fast pace and brilliant world.

The book hinges on the idea that people don't see what they don't want to, so why would we believe in a vast network of monsters and aliens among us? Those that do are fall under their spells while the rest of us wilfully ignore anything out of the ordinary. This book throws us deep into the thick of it and doesn't hold back. It's at times gory and gruesome but with elements of political
Lisa
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
So I really like this book, but I didn't like the second book as much (I'll talk about that there). Catskinner is my favorite character. Easily. I loved how he is both handicap and utterly necessary partner to the main character. I do feel that Burnett missed the boat on his sexpot lady lead. Like...she starts so dumb that she sits around waiting for people and yet she's not dumb. At all. She's amazingly proactive later on. I really started to like her, but it didn't feel like the same character ...more
Dave Higgins
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When required to place this book in a genre Burnett has previously chosen science fiction and urban fantasy. It might also be categorised as supernatural fiction or horror. The opening scenes have an ambience of crime noir and spy thriller. While the book very definitely contains speculative elements, the story takes precedence over the speculation, refusing to be confined by genre.

This novel is the first in the Book of Lost Doors series. The protagonist, James Ozryck, has shared his body with a
Karl Drinkwater
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well, this book impressed me. Right near the start I realised the author had good control of pacing and delivery; I liked the voice; I appreciated the writing; I laughed at some of the humour. As a result I had confidence in the author. This was confirmed by the way they didn't give unnecessary detail, only what was needed, so the reader does some of the work. I could then relax and enjoy the tale, which lived up to the writing, to the extent that I looked forward to picking the book up and cont ...more
Nick
Nov 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Over on his blog, Misha Burnett consistently describes his debut novel as being hard to classify. Having read it, I’m inclined to agree. After thinking it over a little, I would personally describe this novel as follows: Catskinner’s Book is a mixture of cosmic horror and urban/supernatural fantasy, with just a dash of science fiction and written in a style resembling a crime thriller. I can honestly say that I’ve never read anything quite like it, and I mean that in a good way. Mostly.

When the
Shannon Yarbrough
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
James Ozryck likes and lives an ordinary life. He's got a decent job at a junk parts store. He lives in a small apartment upstairs. His boss is good to him. He enjoys a decent lunch, downloading videos, and playing computer games. And then there's that voice in his head of a monster he calls Catskinner that takes over his body and kills people. Oh yeah - that!

Upon starting Misha Burnett's book, I expected to join James in trying to find out who this entity is and why he inhabits his body. That's
Beth Roberts
This is a first for me. I have never written a review before finishing a book except very rarely when a book is so bad I can't continue. Mr. Burnett, your book is the exact opposite.

The author bio states he has had little formal education, and sadly the editing here agrees with that statement. I usually detract a half to a whole star for that alone. I would definitely like to see it cleaned up.

Also, anybody who knows me knows I absolutely can't stand little green men and the surest way to convin
Michael
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of Catskinner’s Book by Misha Burnett for the purpose of the review. But I have to say that reading the book wasn’t like work. It’s a fun, but scary read that keeps your attention and keeps you wondering what comes next.

Catskinner’s Book is described as science fiction/urban fantasy. We’re introduced to James Orzyck only to find out later that’s not his real name. James has a monster living inside. Sometimes the monster acts out causing James, or at least his body to do strang
Alex Cracknell
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading this as I bought it along with a number of other books on a whim to try and broaden my reading horizons slightly from my 'usual' authors and genres.

Needless to say I was very pleased to find that the plot was not something I would find harder to read (like a historical romance novel for example) but a gripping SF/Fantasy action novel that genuinely surprised me more than once and which opened up a world of opportunity for a very good series of
Michelle Proulx
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! It’s short, it’s sweet, it’s violent, it’s sexy, it’s intriguing … A+ all around! The world Burnett’s created is absolutely fascinating, and totally unlike anything I’ve read before — I honestly don’t know where he comes up with this stuff!

The protagonist, James, is enthralling — he’s a curious mix of beleaguered every-man, jailkeeper to a vicious alien entity, lonely man just trying to find his place in the world, and hired hitman. It’s bizarre. It’s wonderful.

I’m trying to t
Stabbity
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I discovered this book late thursday night, read through part of the sample when it was already past my bedtime, was haunted by the book all day friday, and finally bought it and devoured it as soon as I got home from work.

A lot of urban fantasy that I've seen lately has a kind of sameness to it, but catskinner's book is something different. Catskinner himself is fascinating and I'd love to see more of him, along with more of his relationship to James.

While I do think the book had some structura
Pewterbreath
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Wow, I practically swallowed this book whole. Catskinner's Book is a mixture of noir, lovecraftian horror, with a little bit of Clive Barker thrown in for good measure. The best thing about this book is its pace--it starts running and just doesn't stop until the end. The style is also superb, noir is a tricky tone to use--so many books get ruined by laying it on too thick, but Burnett really has masterful control.

This book is pulpy in the best use of that word--action based, spare prose, with qu
S.K. Nicholls
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this story! The relationship of the main character(s), James and Catskinner, was psychologically fascinating as these two personalities were profoundly interesting. I could hear the distinctive voices of each in my head. The dialogue between them was well done, and contributed to the plot development.

The plot moved at a steady, quick pace with one intriguing adventure after another. As soon as you recovered from one incident another was put before you. The mechanics and descri
Rick Rossing
It took me a total of 6-8 hours to finish reading this story, which is a good thing, because once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. The storytelling is just that captivating.
James has a lifelong "companion" named Catskinner. Together, they earn a living as contract killers. Or as a contract killer. It's complicated. Catskinner lives in James's head, and keeps him safe. When he takes control, people usually die.
When James's boss gets killed, James and Catskinner begin a quest to aveng
Jane Thomson
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just loved this book. Misha said he wanted to write a book unlike other books - well, he has. One of the things I liked best was the way he led in from chapter to chapter, so you just couldn't help reading on to see what happened. Another great thing was the twists and turns - the story was anything but predictable. I also liked the way the characters were so fully developed - they were very real people, nobody was stereotyped. Misha has a very compassionate eye as a writer. Oh and what else - ...more
Danyel
I was almost late to work this morning.

Instead of getting in the shower, I was sitting on the edge of my bed, fighting with a sluggish Wi-Fi connection, attempting to immediately download the next three books in this series. (Ah, instant gratification. Gone are the days of driving through a torrential downpour at a quarter to closing, fighting to get the next book in the series before being forced into the unthinkable position of waiting TWELVE HOURS without finding out whathappensnext.) No boo
Stephanie
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book drew me in from the very first page--the voice, the characters, the intelligence, the humor, the originality. James is a sympathetic character--and Catskinner himself is, if not exactly sympathetic, fascinating. I was even fond of him (in a strange sort of way) by the book's end. Misha Burnett has created a unique, compelling world peopled with unique, compelling characters. The book can be disturbing, but wonderfully so. There are some copy-editing glitches, but the writing is so good ...more
Corey
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
From the moment I read the first few pages of Catskinner’s book I was intrigued by the plot and the unique characters. I found myself quickly drawn to the story. Each chapter was engaging and exciting and kept me wanting to turn the page.

James, the protagonist, is such a strange and interesting character. I found myself deeply intrigued by him and his alter ego, Catskinner. I liked the interaction between the two. The author made it feel believable. As the story goes on, more characters are int
Pamela Beckford
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Whew! This book was intense from the very first page...and didn't let up until the last word.

My first thought though was "this is going to be too weird for me." I thought that, but couldn't put it down. I raced through it to finish it. Every time I thought there couldn't be any other creatures, there were!

I truly am in awe of writers who can create something from so deep within their imagination that their creation is unique. Well, I'm assuming this is unique. But I can't be sure because this
Melody
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending was rather sudden, a few grammar errors (nothing major, and having read on a Kindle app, it is to be expected), but otherwise an excellent read. A quick read, mostly because you cannot put the book down, and I even liked the sudden change in antagonist. Makes you wonder how large this expansive, multi-dimensional novel can truly reach. Ecstatic to learn there will be a sequel. I recommend this book to just about everyone. I loved it, short answer. My favorite quote from the book is "' ...more
Melissa
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book started out great and really got me caught up but it just kinda went downhill from that point. I almost set it aside but I really liked the characters even when the story itself wasn't at its best and I wanted to know what happened to them.

This book is entertaining and a bit strange in itself but from the middle through to the end it could have used a bit more firming up. It felt like the author started flying by the seat of his pants instead of having a clear goal of where he may be
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: science fiction buffs
Recommended to Jennifer by: Tim Kubiak
Shelves: science-fiction
Don't let the title of this book fool you! It is a full-fledged work of science fiction - a cross between an episode of the 1960's 'Twilight' TV show and more recent Star Trek movies. It took several chapters for me to get into the story, but the main characters are intriguing, the story develops quickly after the first few chapters. It was also fun for me to recognize many of the locales described throughout the book. I'll look forward to Misha's next book.
Elzibub
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Robert Guthrie, Andy Fuller, Dan Craven & Aaron Hellrung
Fanstastic book! Dark, funny, sexy - keeps you on the edge of your seat. Every character is very original and a mystery unto him/her/itself. I love that there is no predicting what might happen next and often laughed out loud while listening.

Both the narrator and the writing are excellent and make this book extremely hard to put down. Luckily, I have it on authority that the second book will hopefully be out on audio in January. I am eagerly awaiting the release!
Tim Kubiak
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic quick read that plays with many traditional sci fi elements in a very modern and at times innovative way. The characters are compelling and well developed. The story moves along nicely with several twists. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series to see where things go.

I read the print edition and happen to be a fan of black and white photography and truly love the elegant simplicity of the photo.
Linda Hill
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of Sci-Fi
Shelves: favorites
Full of non-stop action, I loved the twists and turns as the story of James and Catskinner unfolds. This well written sci-fi novel by Misha Burnett is set in a realistic world into which a reader can escape. Alive with imaginative creatures, Catskinner's Book is an original that I had a hard time putting down.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a great sci-fi story, and I couldn't wait to start into Book Two - Cannibal Hearts.
morbidflight
It was really good, and the characterization was well done. The world is simultaneously fascinating and familiar. I was also grateful that the ostensible damsel really wasn't (and proved herself rather quickly).

I did get annoyed by frequent typos and misused words; this book would have benefited from a copy editor.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Missouri - Show-m...: March Read - Catskinner's Book 15 12 Mar 23, 2014 07:40AM
The Book Of Lost ...: Ask Catskinner 2 7 Feb 25, 2013 05:19PM
  • Tales of Terror (Dracula, Frankenstein, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, The Phantom of the Opera, and 13 More Works of Vampires, Ghosts, and Classic Horror)
  • Oath Keeper
  • Edge of Danger (Corpus Agency, #1)
  • Grimm: The Icy Touch (Grimm, #1)
  • Limbo's Child
  • Eville
  • The Girl at the End of the World
  • History Homages and the Highlands An Outlander Guide
  • Eligible Bachelors (Reality with a Twist, #1)
  • Crying Girl, The
  • The Closet (Summerset Tales #1)
  • An Eternity of Roses (The Valthreans, #1)
  • Seduced By The Candidate (The Candidate, #1)
  • Moon Called
  • Never Fear
  • Trials (Rock Bottom, #2)
  • The Complete Knifepoint Horror
  • Physics can be Fatal
I want to write stories unlike any that have ever been written before.

Yes, I know that there are only a few basic plots and everything has been done before, but I think there is still room for a personal vision.

I have always been fascinated by writers who invent their own worlds, their own cosmologies. That's my goal as a writer, to take my readers on a trip to a place where they have never been
More about Misha Burnett

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)