Start by marking “Wizard of the Winds (Tales of the Timuras, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wizard of the Winds (Tales of the Timuras, #1)

Wizard of the Winds

(Tales of the Timuras #1)

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  286 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
King of Kings, Lord Over Men and Demons Alike: only one ruler ever held that title, and now Iraj Protarus, an orphaned prince exiled to a small village high in the Valley of the Clouds, dreamed of being the next great conqueror. The key to his destiny would be Safar Timura, a youth with an awesome gift for sorcery, whose visions foretold Iraj's rise to power. And in those ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Published January 28th 1998 by Del Rey (first published January 6th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Wizard of the Winds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wizard of the Winds

Katherine
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Maybe it's because I'm older, but I am finding myself less able to tolerate mediocre fiction, particularly mediocre fantasy. I probably wouldn't have noticed the flaws of this book if I was younger, but they are many.

All the characters, even the main character are flimsy and two dimensional, generic and cartoonish. All the women fall in love with the main character, and are loyal to him. The main character is never in any real danger, there's no sense of that throughout the book. It was just ove
lowercase
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-like
the first half of this fantasy wasn't earthshakingly inventive, but it was a good story, well told ... and then it was just as if whatever editor had been working on the piece with the author suddenly pulled up stakes and moved her (or his, or their) tent elsewhere, leaving rather a mess. still, i saw it through to the end, and i'm willing to read book two, just to see if it has anywhere interesting to go hereafter. i'll let you know.
Brittany Brenner
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Decent idea in a very interesting setting, but with rather heavy-handed writing and too much extra information, especially at both the beginning and end. A few more rounds of editing could have gotten this one another star.
Lord Windsor
Action was quite slow. Juvenile conversations. Many mistakes with editing. No build up, training or difficulties to reach a Master Wizard level. Actually I never finished. I was 50 pages from the end and I didn’t care what happened to the characters. I’ve only not finished a book 3 other times.
A Delestre
I liked the story (or perhaps "the story trilogy" would be more accurate) for its unusual backdrop probably because Cole drew upon his experience with middle east culture to create the fantasy. It is an odd way to be introduced to life in an arid world, but it worked. Both the main characters and those on the periphery seemed well-developed with respect to their drives, intents and ethics.

Now, perhaps there are different versions of the book available, but I wouldn't know. I purchased and read t
L.J. DeLeon
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“When the Gods Slept” the first of the “The Timura Trilogy” is a wonderful fantasy. The story follows the hero, Safar Timura and his best friend Iraj Protaras from their youth to their mid-twenties.

Iraj is an orphaned prince exiled to a small village high in the Valley of the Clouds, dreamed of being the next great conqueror. The key to his destiny is Safar Timura, a youth with an awesome gift for sorcery, whose visions foretell Iraj's rise to power. In those visions, Safar stands at Iraj's side
Adrienne Kern McClintock
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
The friend who loaned this to me quit reading it, no reason given other than "didn't like it". Meanwhile, I liked it very much. Two people who would normally have nothing to do with each other, thrown together when one has a family quarrel and moves to town. Neither of them fits in, so they become best friends. Cliche, of course. They both had a dream vision, the same one, that the one from some other town would become a king, and the other would be at his side, and a wizard. Throughout the book ...more
Melissa
Aug 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I liked how it was laid out, with a little taste of where the character is now and then going back and finding out how he got there. I also liked that it wasn't told solely from the humans' point of view, that we got to see the demons' thoughts, too.
It was an adventurous story with lots of action.
Ofer
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
A sweet, traditional fantasy book, with an Arabian Nights atmosphere. The story of 2 childhood friends, one of them a great wizard and the other a great warlord, who join together in order to forge an empire. A charming tale that didn't seem to catch on with the majority of fantasy readers, and more's the pity.
Muhammad Gibran
Jul 10, 2013 rated it liked it
the recipe for this book are put 2 big fat meat of friendship, hammer it with some promise and oath, sprinkle it with a little bit adventure spice, add some jealousy and love from another characters. Put it in some big pot full of misunderstanding. Fried it until you can smell the betrayal flavor. Finally you served it cold with revenge. Put some prophecy on top of it and you got this book.
Michael M
Jan 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book one but haven't been able to find the two other books in the triology of this set.
Graham Houle
I cannot remember much about this book.
Melanie
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Can't wait to find the next one!
Julie
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wizard of the Winds (Tales of the Timuras) by Allan Cole (1997)
Cheryl
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
fairly standard fantasy adventure. enjoyable, but could have focused a bit more on the exciting bits. it seemed to rush through parts, leaving you wondering how the neck that happened.
Julie-ann
Oct 23, 2014
David
Jan 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. YA fantasy book read in early 2001 2 25 Jan 31, 2018 06:05PM
  • The Sword-Edged Blonde (Eddie LaCrosse, #1)
  • Will Power (Hawthorne Saga, #2)
  • The Harem of Aman Akbar
  • Waking the Dead (Laying a Ghost, #3)
  • The Changeling (The Fey, #2)
  • The Prince of Shadow (Seven Brothers, #1)
  • The Nomad (Dark Sun: Tribe of One, #3)
  • Tribal Ways (Rogue Angel, #25)
  • Mistress of Masks (Catalysts of Chaos #1)
  • Chaosbound (Runelords, #8)
  • Tree of Life (Tree of Life, #1)
  • The Jewel of Dantenos: A Lee Starfinder Adventure from the World of The Godling Chronicles (The Godling Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Dragon Charmer (Fern Capel, #2)
  • A Woman's Estate
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • The Inconvenient Bride
  • Dragonforge (Dragon Age, #2)
Allan Cole (born 1943) is an American author and television writer, who has written or co-written nearly thirty books.The son of a CIA operative, Cole was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and raised in Europe, the Middle East and the Far East. He collaborated with Chris Bunch on the Sten science fiction series, as well the Far Kingdoms Series, and the historical novels, A Reckoning For Kings an ...more

Tales of the Timuras (3 books)
  • Wolves of the Gods (Tales of the Timuras, #2)
  • The Gods Awaken (Tales of the Timuras, #3)