Start by marking “Torn Away” as Want to Read:
Torn Away

Torn Away

Jersey Cameron has always loved a good storm. Watching the clouds roll in and the wind pick up. Smelling the electricity in the air. Dancing barefoot in the rain. She lives in the Midwest, after all, where the weather is sure to keep you guessing. Jersey knows what to do when the tornado sirens sound. But she never could have prepared for this.

When her town is devastated b
Published May 6th 2014 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Torn Away, please sign up.
Sara Thompson Missouri. The tornado mostly hit the south-west part of the state (I know because that's where I live and lived during the tornado). If you would like…moreMissouri. The tornado mostly hit the south-west part of the state (I know because that's where I live and lived during the tornado). If you would like to know more about the actual tornado, look up "Missouri leap day tornado." (less)
Shiah I'm not the author but I believe I have the answer. In the back of my copy of the book there is a little story.
The story (in the short way) goes like…more
The story (in the short way) goes like this. She was set to speak at a city that was hit by a tornado just a few weeks before she went. Basically she called someone and asked if her appearance was to be canceled. But the person said that she should still come and that she thought that the people hit by the tornado could use a little something to take their minds off of the disaster.

That is a very short summery of what I thought was most important. Although if you want to (and I would suggest you do) you can probably find it some where on the internet or possibly her website.
Hope this helped! :)(less)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
“You mean I could have lost everything I ever cared about? Bad news, that’s already happened. Or do you mean worse like I could have died? Because that would actually have been better. I should have died with them. I wish I had died with them.”
This book is absolutely gut-wrenching. It has one of the best portrayals of a teenager in a book I've ever come across. There's just no getting around the fact that it was damned depressing, kind of in a "well, my day WAS a ray of sunshine until I read t
Giselle
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, own
This is one of those rare books that touched me to my very core. Jersey's tragic loss makes you realize what's really important in life, and re-defines your priorities. I've been a fan of Jennifer Brown since the first one I read, but Torn Away is definitely my favorite thus far. To get the best experience out of this book I recommend only skimming the blurb - or not reading it at all. I only read it afterwards, myself, and find it sums up too much of the story. Not having a clue what's coming n ...more
✦❋Arianna✦❋
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 Stars!!

“I realized that the worst part of someone you love dying suddenly isn’t the saying good-bye part. It’s the part where you wonder if they knew how much you loved them. It’s the part where you hope you said and did enough good stuff to make up for the bad stuff. It’s the part where there are no second chances, no going back, no more opportunities to tell them how you feel about them.”

“Torn Away” was a gut-wrenching story about life, loss, grief, but also about family, friends, findin
Faye, la Patata
Torn Away was a powerful, heartbreaking experience. I read Rashika's review of this, and while I acknowledged that it would be a sad read, I didn't expect it to hit me with waves and waves of emotions. Jersey's story of losing everyone and everything to the tornado affected me way more than I expected, as her reaction to what happened felt very familiar to me. I recognized her struggles very well, as I see in her many of my family and friends who lost people to various natural disasters.

As you a
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Jennifer Brown, where have you been all my life? Torn Away takes the YA genre to the next level. It's predominantly a story about finding hope, which was written in the most realistic and heartbreaking-ly beautiful manner. I found myself crying for the sad and dark sections, but I was also chocking up in the happy parts.
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

“But we’d never—not once—discussed what to do after.”

This book is one tough nut to review, mostly because after finishing it you will not feel like a tough nut, you’ll feel like someone has smashed your insides and you’ll have no idea what to do or read. Or at least that was the case for me.

I’ve had my eyes on Jennifer Brown’s works for some time now, but for some reason, I still hadn’t picked up any of her works. Then Torn Away came. Thi
Laurence R.
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
I was NOT prepared for this. At all.

Obviously, when you pick this book up, you know it won't be all rainbows and happiness. I mean, it is about a natural disaster, so this should warn you that you're entering dangerous zones. Well, believe me, this warning isn't even close to preparing you for what you're about to read, and I learned this the hard way.

From the second the storm begins, Jersey's life turns to horror. She watches as her family destroys itself and leaves her all alone, without her
Alexa
Wow, that was devastating and incredible.

Jersey looses everything after a Tornado rips through her small town and takes her whole neighbourhood with it. With no idea how her friends are doing, where her family is, and no place to live, Jersey needs to fend for herself and figure out what her next steps will be after all the devastation.

This short book packs a huge punch and is full of unexpected emotional abuse (for me). I cried while reading it, and I stayed up pretty late finishing it. I coul
Justine
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Plein d'émotions sur la fin, un livre captivant et qui se dévore en un rien de temps mais pas encore tout à fait un coup de coeur. Mais vraiment, très heureuse d'avoir lu ce livre. Ça change de Hate List que je n'avais pas vraiment aimé !
Je recommande :)
Jenna
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jersey's life is flipped upside down, literally, when a massive tornado rips the foundation of her family home in more ways than one. She is left to find a new path in life and with the support (or lack thereof) from complete strangers who happen to be related to her. In this journey, Jersey comes to terms with her life and the role that she has played in it, and before it is all over, she is then introduced to the other side of her family, still strangers to her, and it is there that she makes ...more
Barbara
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
**A free copy of this book was provided by publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

BR with my lovely Carolina!
Paula
"Torn Away" was the second book by Jennifer Brown that I've read and it sure as hell won't be the last.
Something about her writing just resonates with me on a level that I don't experience often with book. The story, the words - they give me so many feels I barely know what do with them.
It wasn't any different with "Torn Away." Maybe because the stories are so character-driven and don't rely on over-the-top drama or an overload on events and twists and turns.
Whatever it is, this book made me l
Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books)
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbr-2014
Read it in one night... Cried like a baby... It's AMAZING and heartbreaking

Jersey has lived through a natural disaster and she's lost everything... literally everything. Her home, her town, her family. Now she's being taken in by relatives who don't really want her and who she really doesn't know. She's learning things about her mother's past that she never knew. And finding out hard truths about her future.

My Thoughts:
THIS BOOK!!! You know how there are some books that make you cry at the end?
Kathylill
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Torn Away is one of those books that I liked despite their small faults and them being a little bit unrealistic. The tragic tale of Jersey Cameron touched me deeply.

Jersey is such a likable character, maybe because she is so normal. She is neither a social outcast nor the queen bee but something in between. She grows up in one of those patchwork families: Her dad left them when she was just a Baby, her Mom remarried a few years later and now Jersey is stuck with a new stepfather and a very young
Katelynn
Apr 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ugh
WOW was this book ever not what I thought it would be. It's advertised as tornado! grief! survival! I love natural disaster stories and I love strong female characters and I love gritty emotion and this book PROMISED ME THESE THINGSSS

I am angered. Bad writing makes me so very angry. Especially when I buy it in hardcover.

This was so. poorly. written. I am mind-blown by how bad the writing was. Agog. I am agog. Every little bit of this was outrageous. The characters; the dialogue (oh God the dial
Carolina
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is so good... but so so good!

There's no many words to say about how you'll get transported to this story.
It's intense, heart-broking, sad... but you have hope too! And is extraordinary how the author can make you feel the emotions, like you were there... like you were in the middle of a tornado!

I honestly, wasn't expecting such an intense point of view.
The way Jersey describes things in her point of view is so sad, and you feel powerless, but amazing at the same time how you can feel
Anastasia シ
omg, this was so sad... im still crying😭
Tanecia
 photo neverendingstoriesheader_zpsede264e5.png

Even though the synopsis pretty much sums up the entire read- Torn Away ended up being something so much more. The story follows the main character Jersey, who has had her entire world flipped upside down by a horrific natural disaster. She is the only survivor of her family as well as her stepfather after a massive tornado hits her hometown. After being left to mourn her Mother and sister- Jersey is left to pick up the pieces alone and devastated. Meanwhile, she moves in with her estranged fat
Tonyalee
See this review and more on my blog, Lilybloombooks

I keep thinking back to the first time I saw Torn Away pop up on my feed. It was something, at the time, that I didn't think I was ready for, emotionally. No clue why - just a nagging feeling that I would not handle this book well.

And well, I was right.

There are not many books that make me cry. I am not talking about tearing up, one tear sliding down the cheek cry. I am talking full-blown out ugly crying. With every chapter, I found myself holdi
Maggie61
Jennifer Brown has got to be one of my favourite authors of young adult novels. This book was fantastic.
The emotion was real, the descriptions of everything so vivid. So vivid that parts were hard to read.
My heart broke for Jersey from the start. She's a normal girl almost done high school for the summer when anyone's worst nightmare zones in the form of a tornado. I couldn't imagine her pain and despair as she is at what is left of her house, sleeping under the pool table in a rain soaked bas
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014, arcs
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

ARC received from NetGalley. Thank you NetGalley!!!!

Jersey lost everything in the tornado. Her house, her sister, her mother. Her entire life was changed in a matter of moments. With all of her wordly possessions able to fit in a backpack, Jersey is sent to live with family she has never known

and has to come to terms with her family’s true history.

I read this one a couple of weeks ago and somehow never got around to writing a review.
Nomes
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: disappointed, 2015
The set-up, opener and first half of this book is stunning and mesmerising. The storm (hurricane) is captured so powerfully as a massive force of nature and it was brilliant to be in this electrifying and all-encompassing wild weather event alongside our teen MC, Jersey. Who doesn't love a good storm, hey? It wasn't just the storm that drew me in: the writing is nuanced and engaged all my senses.

Then there's the storm fall-out. Jersey was alone during the storm and she sets out to see if her mu
Star Crowned Book Throne
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
2.5 Stars

I have had this book on my TBR for a really long time and I'm disappointed to say that I'm... well, disappointed. On the whole, I couldn't get myself emotionally invested into the story and I never really connected to the main character. This isn't to say that it wouldn't be an emotional and heartbreaking story for others but personally for me, I couldn't enjoy it.

The main character felt very distant to me in the way that I couldn't really 'see' into her character. I felt more like I
Erika
This really resounded with me, probably because I live in Kansas City and I grew up with tornado weather being a big part of my life. The writing was so realistic, and obviously Jennifer Brown is a badass with terrific chops for story lines. This is YA but I think it's great for adults as well.
Zoe
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary

Growing up, we were taught over and over again what steps to take in case of an approaching tornado. Listen for sirens, go to your basement or cellar, or a closet in the center of your house, duck and cover, wait it out. We had drills twice a year, every year, in school. We talked about it in class. We talked about it at home. The newscasters reminded us. We went to the basement. We practiced, practiced, practiced.

But we’d never— not once— discussed what to do after.
Torn Away by Jennifer Br
Abbie
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Torn Away was a sad, but good read!

Jersey was a really strong character.
Everything she was going through was horrible, so i felt really sorry for her.

Her dad and the rest of Jersey's paternal family were awful.
I thought her step sisters had a serious attitude problem. When their and Jersey's dad, and the girls mum came into it, you could tell where they got it from!

Jersey's other grandparents were really nice though. I could see why Jersey was wary of them, and was being defensive... but she
prettybooks
12/20

Une catastrophe naturelle qui emporte tout sur son passage, voilà de quoi parle Tornade. Cet évènement va changer la vie de Jersey qui va devoir se battre pour être acceptée, pour retrouver une vie normale. J’ai été touchée par cette jeune fille et par ce qu’elle traverse mais bien trop souvent agacée par tous les personnages qui gravitent autour d’elle. Pas encore entièrement convaincue par les romans de Jennifer Brown.

Ma chronique : https://myprettybooks.wordpress.com/2...
Giselle
Heart-breaking and tragic, Jersey goes through so much pain and loss that you couldn't blame her at all. Understanding what it means to lose "everything" is something she tries to understand. I can't even imagine having to go through tornado warnings on a daily basis. How terribly frightening. This is a must-read if you're looking for a realistic read.
Yonaily
Sep 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Alexander and Terrible, Horrible, No good, Very bad writing.
Bailey
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
But we'd never-not once-discussed what to do after.

-Jersey

Rating: 4 1/2 Stars

Je
  • Grandmaster
  • Knockout Games
  • Me Since You
  • Tease
  • Sing Sweet Nightingale (The Dream War Saga, #1)
  • Searching for Sky
  • The Prince of Venice Beach
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Call Me by My Name
  • Year of Mistaken Discoveries
  • There Will Come a Time
  • Kiss of Broken Glass
  • The Chapel Wars
Two-time winner of the Erma Bombeck Global Humor Award (2005 & 2006), Jennifer's weekly humor column appeared in The Kansas City Star for over four years, until she gave it up to be a full-time young adult novelist.

Jennifer's debut novel, HATE LIST (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 2009) received three starred reviews and was selected as an ALA Best Book for Young Adults, a VOYA "Perfec
“I realized that the worst part of someone you love dying suddenly isn't the saying good-bye part. It's the part where you hope you said and did enough good stuff to make up for the bad stuff. It's the part where there are no second chances, no going back, no more opportunities to tell them how you feel about them.” 34 likes
“I've been thinking a lot about the word "everything." Whenever something horrible happens, you hear people say they "lost everything." They lost their house or their car or their stuff or whatever, and to them it feels like everything. But they have no idea what it's like to lose everything. I thought I knew, but now I realize even I haven't lost everything, because I still have that polka-dot swimsuit in my memory. I still have those ice cream nights and the scorpion that scared Marin and the Barking Bulldogs sweatshirt and the robins-egg-blue nail polish. Somehow having those things makes the other things matter less.

I'm wondering if it's even possible to lose "everything" or if you just have to keep redefining what "everything" is.”
11 likes