Start by marking “Apex Rising (Talker, #1)” as Want to Read:
Apex Rising (Talker, #1)

Apex Rising

(Talker #1)

An popcorn fantasy action-packed action book of action:

Revenge, power, and love in a world where men and women commune with animals.

Revenge: After a treacherous attack, former spymaster Katria promises to find who betrayed her. The thought that keeps her going, night and day, is vengeance.

Power: Unbeknownst to Prince Neru, Katria still lives. In her absence, he struggles t
Published June 10th 2014 by Moonlight Crew Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Apex Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apex Rising

J.R.
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Apex Rising describes itself as a popcorn fantasy. I'm not entirely sure that this classification is necessary, but the gist is that it's the fantasy equivalent of an action movie.

The problem with that self-assessment is that Sword and Sorcery and its various offspring have been doing exactly that for the last ninety years or so. So we can discard the strange attempt at creating a new genre immediately.

The book itself is competently written action fantasy, but like many self-published works it s
Mallory
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jenn
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have to agree with some of the previous reviews...

This book was great: it was well written and had a fantastic concept. I feel it's only real downfall was it's length. I felt that Wright did a great job in portraying certain aspects in a short amount of "time" and in such a way that I didn't feel completely ripped off. I would have LOVED to had more of a background story regarding the Apex and the kingdom in general - perhaps we'll see a prequel? *hint hint*

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a book

Abinadi Ayerdis
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The great thing about the goodreads rating system is that when I rate a book, I do not have to weight it against other books. Five stars means "it was amazing." It does not mean "it was the best book I ever read." It also does not mean that it is as good or as-good-in-the-same-way as any other five star book. What I am saying is that Apex Rising is an amazing book independent of other amazing fantasy novels. It doesn't have the depth of Tolkien or the grittiness of George R. Martin. But it does ...more
Reddit Reviewer
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fantastic concept. The only reason this is not a 5 is because I don't want the author Tom Wright to get big headed. He needs to take what he has now and make it better for book 2 because he's onto something special. Previous reviewers mentioned Tom's tunnel vision and oversight on a few things that could have really flushed out the fantasy world, but for some explainable reason that just isn't Tom in his first book. Keep your eye on Tom folks, he could be a great writer if he doesn't get a big ...more
Dan Jones
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Apex Rising is a very engaging book.

The premise behind the magic in this world is intriguing. In this world, individuals can bond with animals. Once bonded, the human can use the animal as a type of extended cognition. The bonder (or Talker) can see through his animals' eyes: sense what the animal senses. Additionally, the Talker exercises a degree of control over the animal, as if an additional appendage. The animal acts under the Talker's control.

The idea is a unique one, and certainly makes f
Rachel Hatch
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.75, if they had such a rating. :)

First off, I have to say, I'm very impressed, especially if this is a debut novel.

After the first few chapters I was a little frustrated because I got hints of this obviously very well thought out story world, but I didn't see many of my suspicions confirmed. For example, I kind of got the vague idea that this was a fantasy set in either an Asian or African kind of world, but I felt a little "tunnel-visioned" by the lack of description and the way the narrativ
Amanda
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It was very well written and I absolutely loved the talkers. It was very unique. I have yet to read a book that has this kind of adaptation to it. Kind of reminds me of the Pied Piper and his rats for some reason. I definitely recommend to others. I only gave 4 stars because of the long length of the book, but it was well worth the read. I look forward to more from this author. Especially in the Talker series.
Irene Adam
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an ebook free from the author through LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review. This book is a fantasy; very different from my usual genre. The use of animals as familiars was a new twist. Apex Rising is a fast paced short story with lots of action. Power and control seem to be the main issues. I enjoyed reading this book.
Lilfries
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book for an honest review. Welcome to the Totalitarian society of The Apex. Where everyone has a symbiotic relationship with their familiar animals. Do you control rats, lions, or hummingbirds? Control is determined by the most lethal and smartest. Are you fighting for The Apex or against it?
April
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a well written book. Very original work. I enjoyed the action scenes and the dialogue was a a bit hard to follow but the thoughts were clear. The main characters were were strong personalities I really enjoyed watching thier story and romance unfold. I recommend reading this book.
Sage Knightly
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ffr
Apex Rising is an action packed fantasy novel full of magic, revenge, battles, bravery, deceit, strength, and even romance (though thankfully, not much).

Read my full review here: Here
Ree Linker
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
If I lived in this world I would want wolf familiars. Or gorillas. But I'd probably be stuck with chickens.

I look forward to rest of the series.
Rebekah
Brittany
Mar 19, 2016
Heather Hopkins
May 14, 2016
Gattaca is in my top 5 favorite movies. It's an intellectual film that forces you to think and reconsider your opinions.

But sometimes I don't want to watch Gattaca. Sometimes I want to watch Independence Day. Or Jurassic Park. Or, GI Joe 2: Retaliation. There, I said it. I loved GI Joe 2. Sometimes you just want to sit back, turn on the TV, and watch explosions for 2 hours. And that's okay. Other