Start by marking “Amy Foster” as Want to Read:
Amy Foster

Amy Foster

Cosa avrà provato il ventunenne Teodor Józef Konrad Korzeniowski, discendente da una famiglia di antica nobiltà terriera polacca fieramente avversa al dominio russo, quando nel 1878 decise di mettersi al soldo come semplice marinaio della marina mercantile britannica? Beh, forse ha tentato di dircelo in Amy Foster, il racconto qui presentato, datato 1901.
Qui è un giovane n
Published 2012 by Gruppo Editoriale L'Espresso (first published 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Amy Foster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amy Foster

Duane
Joseph Conrad is one of the most influential British writers of the 20th century. His writing inspired the likes of Orwell, Greene, Faulkner, Hemingway, and many more. His best known novel is Heart of Darkness. He also wrote short stories.

His short story, Amy Foster, tells the story of a Central European emigrant, Yanko Goorall, who is shipwrecked of the English coast. He eventually falls in love with and marries a local servant girl, Amy Foster, which upsets the local villagers.
Lyn
Mar 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amy Foster, a short story by Joseph Conrad, reveals the great range and depth of the master’s ability.

Though a short story, or novella, the language is tight and the imagery is thick with multiple meanings and the story reads slow and pregnant with interpretations. The most ready to mind is that this is strongly inspired by his own experience as a central European living in England and feeling socially and culturally isolated from those around him. While this departs from his usual stories cent
zainab_booklover
I think of Joseph Conrad as a required taste. It ain't easy to love his works, they are hard to read. *cough* (Heart of Darkness) *cough*
Yet, I keep finding myself going back to read one of his works.
Maryam Hosseini
:مجموعه 4 داستان کوتاه از جوزف کنراد با عنوان های
"تالاب" ، "امی فاستر" ، "پایگاه پیشرفت و "قصه"
هر 4 تا داستانهای خوبی بودند اما بشخصه از "قصه" و "امی فاستر" بیشتر لذت بردم

. در عشق و جنگ باید همه چیز آشکار باشد "
آشکار مثل روز ، زیرا هر دوی اینها آرمان هایی هستند که ممکن است به آسانی، بسیار آسان ، تحت عنوان «پیروزی» به تباهی کشیده شوند

امی فاستر و قصه های دیگر، جوزف کنراد؛ ترجمه رحمن مکوندی؛ نشر موج
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
This was my first, well, anything by this author but even though this was pretty short, there was a lot packed into it. I definitely want to explore his work some more.
Laysee
Nov 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

“Amy Foster” reads like a melancholic yarn spun by a seafaring man who on a lonesome winter’s evening felt a compulsion to share an unforgettable experience. The nameless narrator recounted a story by a country doctor who had a practice in Brenzett, a village by the sea. Joseph Conrad was a seaman and this tiny novella harked back to earlier days “when there were continents with unexplored interiors”. To me, what Conrad explored here appeared to be the inscrutable interior of the human heart, wh
Guillermo Gonca
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Amy Foster” es el título de uno de los cuentos más conocidos de Joseph Conrad, escritor de origen polaco (nombre de pila: Józef Teodor Konrad), naturalizado inglés. En él, habla sobre sus propias experiencias como marino y como inmigrante, reflejando lo que significa ser un extranjero en tierra extraña. Para ello se apoya en la ficción autobiográfica y en el personaje de Yanko Goral, un forastero de Europa central que sobrevive a un naufragio y llega a costas inglesas “con una mano delante y ot ...more
Rafa
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Es una historia preciosa.
Silvery
Relato triste y sobrecogedor en el que vemos el triste destino que le espera a Yanko, un extraño un "extranjero"que trata de sobrevivir a pesar del ambiente hostil que lo rodea.

Sí, era un naúfrago. Un pobre emigrante centro europeo con destino a america, que fue arrastrado por las olas hasta la orillas en medio de una tormenta.
Vanessa J.
This was a sweet short story. It was about this man who was victim of a shipwreck to which he was the only survivor. Coming from a far-away country that doesn't speak English, he does not understand anybody (nor anyone can understand him) and therefore he is taken by a madman. Amy Foster, a sweet, kind young girl, sees that he means no harm and then she helps him by giving him some food. After that moment starts Yanko's love for her, calling her “charitable lady”.

It is said that this book is som
Dee Michell
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent story if you a. want to get an idea of why Joseph Conrad is regarded as one of the greats in the English cannon, and b. how long standing are the human drive to migrate for better opportunities and the xenophobia people face when they arrive, in this case washed up after a ship wreck.
Sylvester
2.5*
Strong writing, as expected, and I liked the incongruous heroine. The end didn't hold together for me, I had a hard time suspending my disbelief. One word? Just one word ended everything? But anyway. Read it, see if you feel any different.
Marina (Sonnenbarke)
Recensione originale: https://sonnenbarke.wordpress.com/201...

Questo breve racconto, pubblicato originariamente nel 1901, può essere scaricato gratuitamente e legalmente su Project Gutenberg, mentre a quanto pare in Italia è stato tradotto con lo stesso titolo e allegato a Repubblica alcuni anni fa. Probabilmente è presente sul mercato italiano anche in qualche raccolta di racconti scritti da Conrad. Ad ogni modo vi consiglio di cercarlo e, se lo troverete, dubito che ne rimarrete delusi.

È un ra
Rio Hayashi
Heartbreaking. Regardless of what happened, Amy Foster, to me, is an angel. As obnoxious as it can get sometimes, I love the way he writes. I can relate to a lot of little points in the novel being a foreigner myself in America.
David
Apr 06, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very short story by Conrad that relates his self-thought alienation from British society, as a young foreign man survives a shipwreck off the coast of Kent, England only to be shunned by most of the townsfolk. The one exception is the loving, if dull-witted, Miss Foster.

The man over a few years learns very few words of English, is despised by every one in the village except for the farmer whose young child is saved from drowning by this foreigner, and remains an intruding foreigner. Yet Amy see
Marina Cavallo
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
non avendo letto mai niente di Conrad,mi ero ripromessa che un giorno avrei iniziato proprio con questo racconto che ha ispirato uno dei miei film preferiti: Swept from the Sea (Lo straniero che venne dal mare). Sono soddisfatta della lettura! Stile impeccabile,davvero! ci si immedesima facilmente sia in Yanko che in Amy,e nelle loro frustrazioni. Approfondirò di più questo autore :)
Maddy Hutter
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short story about a man who is shipwrecked on the English coast and stumbles ashore unable to speak any English. He is poorly treated by the villagers who distrust him and it is only a simple servant girl who falls in love and marries him. But things go poorly between them even after the birth of a son. Conrad is a subtle writer and there are tragic dimensions to this sad tale.
Brenda
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dead-boring, so-plain
I wasn't into this really.
So, maybe it was my fault, I didn't like it.
Camelia
Tra cinema e letteratura...

Arriva da una terra lontana, Yanko: uno come tanti, un giovane che, seguendo l'esempio di molti altri connazionali, lascia l'Europa Centrale e s'imbarca in cerca di una vita migliore. Scampato a un terribile naufragio, il ragazzo approderà sulle coste dell'Inghilterra tra lo sconcerto e la paura della gente.
Yanko non è un uomo pericoloso, non è aggressivo, non ha assolutamente niente che possa terrorizzare il prossimo, o quasi... Perché egli, sfortunatamente, è diverso
Frederick
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: conrad, short-story
"Amy Foster" is a short story written by Joseph Conrad in 1901. Generally, his stories are novellas, but this really is something you can read comfortably in one sitting.
It is as close to a "fish-out-of-water" story as Conrad ever gets. Many late 20th-century movies have the same template: E.T., FORREST GUMP, and THE BROTHER FROM ANOTHER PLANET come to mind. Conrad's protagonist even feels as if he's on another planet. Indeed, Conrad's uses the word "planet." It is important to remember that HG
Mark Melton
Joseph Conrad continues in his theme of shipwrecked characters following his other works "Youth" and "Heart of Darkness" now with his story of Amy Foster. Conrad brings to us a story of a relationship between a servant woman, Amy Foster, in a costal village and a man, Yanko, from a foreign country who washes up on the shore from a shipwreck. Upon entering the town, Yanko is ridiculed by every member of the village which keeps him constantly on the run. After saving a child's life from drowning, ...more
Arza
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half or so of this book was very boring to me, but after that it actually became a very touching love story, that eventually leaves you heartbroken, but in a good way.
Virna
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story is little too short.
Varun Parkash
Sep 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely boring.
John Yelverton
Though the short story was well written, it was a very depressing story which does not fill you with warm fuzzy feelings at the end.
Angéliquecld
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
6,5/10

LindaMoctez
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really interesting story about a migrant and his displacement issues. It is especially interesting because it is set and was written back in 1901 and has none of today's PC agenda. It also explores themes of intellectual disadvantage without any bias or "message". It is really refreshing to discover literature that just tells a story without trying to ram ethics and politics down your throat, coming from a time where didactic motivation in writing was considered unliterary. I long for those da ...more
Adriana
This story did not work for me. It felt more like an outline of a story that was never fully fleshed out. I think that this was mostly the result of the way the story was told - from the first person by someone who heard it told to them from someone else. Anyone who has every played telephone knows that the further removed you are from the actual events, the more diluted and distorted the story gets. Rather than getting into the main characters' heads to find out what their motivations are, we h ...more
Erin Flynn
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this is a short story on which the movie "Swept from the Sea" was based. I don't know why but for some reason last night the movie popped into my head, I haven't seen it in years, but remembered how much I liked it. It's overwhelmingly sad but really opens your eyes to the importance of treating people with kindness. I really enjoyed the story, though I don't know if I would have as much if I had not seen the movie first. The author is wonderful though, very talented with imagary and prose. I ...more
Laura Morrigan
A good story, although I liked the movie based on it, Swept By The Sea, better. The main flaw of this story is it is told by an outsider who liked the man but disliked Amy. Amy is a free spirit, and, in the time and isolated place in which she lives is seen as a bit simple, or worse. She falls in love with a foreign man, the sole survivor of a shipwreck, and they are married, but tragedy takes him from her.

The reason I enjoyed the movie more was it was shown more from her point of view, and her
  • Midnite: The Story of a Wild Colonial Boy
  • The Abandoned Room
  • The Christmas Tree and the Wedding
  • Selected Writings
  • Fern Gully
  • New Spirit-Filled Life Bible: Kingdom Equipping Through the Power of the Word, New King James Version
  • Huntingtower (Dickson McCunn, #1)
  • Children's Literature: A Reader's History, from Aesop to Harry Potter
  • Alexander's Bridge
  • Baba Yaga and Vasilisa the Brave
  • The Pirates of Penzance
Joseph Conrad (born Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski ) was a Polish-born English novelist who today is most famous for Heart of Darkness, his fictionalized account of Colonial Africa.

Conrad left his native Poland in his middle teens to avoid conscription into the Russian Army. He joined the French Merchant Marine and briefly employed himself as a wartime gunrunner. He then began to work aboard Br
“For you need imagination to form a notion of beauty at all, and still more to discover your ideal in an unfamiliar shape.” 3 likes
“brain as a shadow passes away upon a white screen. She lives in the cottage and works for Miss Swaffer. She is Amy Foster for everybody, and the child is 'Amy Foster's boy.' She calls him Johnny—which means Little John. "It is impossible to say whether this name recalls anything to her. Does she ever think of the past? I have seen her hanging over the boy's cot in a” 1 likes